October 22, 2014

Hell's Kitchen: Episode 4

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 26th 2006 10:28PM
Gordon Ramsay(S02E04) Finally! Chef Gordon Ramsay says what I - and most of America, I'm sure - have been saying since the first episode: these contestants aren't chefs, they're just a bunch of fast food cooks, and none of them are fit to run a multi-million dollar restaurant at a billion dollar hotel. Yes! One of the truer moments in reality TV show history.

This week the teams not only have to get through their fourth service, but also have to make lunch for the first time - for several screaming, hyper kids.

There are only three men left on the blue team, so Ramsay puts Heather on their team as leader. That's a big plus for them. The teams go on a field trip to Pink's, the legendary L.A. hot dog eatery, which is the busiest restaurant in the city (over 2000 customers a day). Did anyone else think that the hot dogs that the players ordered looked 10 times better than anything the contestants have made so far on the show?

They go back to the restaurant to make lunch for a bunch of screaming kids. They do well this time, but how hard can it be to make pizza, mac and cheese, and burgers for a bunch of kids? And who the hell gave the kids Silly String and noisemakers? My guess it was the producers, to add some noise and tension.

Ramsay has to tell Keith to pull his pants up again. Seriously, how hard is it for an adult to make sure his pants are pulled up? The show describes Garrett as "Former Prisoner/Chef," and I find that odd and funny.

Both teams do well, but one team has to win, and according to the kid's scores, the blue team wins 9.85 to 9.84. Um, first of all, the kids actually scored that precisely? And it was that close? Ooooooooookay. The blue team gets to go to an amusement park in Santa Monica, and have fun on the roller coaster, playing games, etc. Interestingly, Ramsay is nowhere to be found in all this fun.

Meanwhile, the red team has to clean the messy dining room, and they start to insult each other, calling one another "bitches" and throwing more food on the floor. The team is collapsing.

Before the dining room opens, Heather fixes Keith's pants.

The service is the worst yet. The ice machine is broken, so when Ramsay needs ice he's going to tell one of the red team members to go get it. Of course, I don't know if it was really broken or reality TV broken. At one point, Rachel has to go get ice (at a store? When our ice machine was broken I went to another restaurant) with no money. She falls down running back to Hell's Kitchen.

Ramsay yells at Garrett: "You want to go back to the institution?!" The meals aren't getting out. At one point, Ramsay points out to Tom that the order from an hour ago still hasn't been started. That's ridiculous.

So many things go wrong that Ramsay freaks out, screams, throws his apron at Tom, and tells both teams to get the hell out and each to pick a nominee to go home. The blue team picks Tom, and the red team picks Virginia, who was screwed over by Sara, who pretty much lied and made her look like a fool to Ramsay. Ramsay is surprised that Rachel wasn't picked because she did terrible, but he kicks out Tom, saying that he's a "crap cook" and he can't believe he even tried out to be a chef.

Marc

First time I listen to that TV show. I didn't see the first season.
I personnaly believe Rachel has a crush on Heather.
But Rachel is now gone...Look the desperate Heather's face.
Good show!

July 11 2006 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carla

Virginia belongs there....sarah is the biggest screw-up there is on the show!

July 10 2006 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carla

GET RID OF SARAH!!!!!!!!! SHE IS SUCH A LIAR!!!!!!!!!! DON'T TURN YOUR BACK....SHE WILL STAB YOU!

July 10 2006 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shane

#14 - Good looking for a Brit..!?!

Cheeky!

A lot of us Brits are good looking (stares at himself longingly in mirror) - don't make out like it's unusual... ;-)

July 10 2006 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I just have to say this show is turning into Reality TV BS.. None of these people seem to have the education nor the talent to even continue on this show, let alone have their own restaurant. If they were winning the availablity to run a diner, maybe I would consider them.

Heather is not a good CHEF, she is a good leader and that is about it. If someone had to win, I would chose her, but not for her talent as a chef.

Tom was disgusting, he needed to be gone the day he dripped sweat in the pot of sauce. He doesn't qualify to be anything more than a short order cook working the line at Denny's. However, if I had seen what I did on this show, I probably wouldn't order if he was cooking it.

This show is nowhere near as good as last season, and I don't know why they continue to go on with these people. Ramsey should have gotten rid of them all when he sampled their signature dishes.

July 05 2006 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suzanne

Ilike hells kitchen,Ihope the men do better then the women.I want garrett to win instead of heather.I was glad that the assistant chef threw that cake sara thought it was just a joke.I think chef ramsay is very good looking for a brit,and I like his personality.Sometimes people need to hear the truth,he could cut down alittle on the swearing.

July 04 2006 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbie

i am glad tom is gone he was a real scew up. the otyhers run around the kitchen like they are clueless. and virgina whats up with her she is just pure evil. if the re was a show on july3 i missed it and if anyone would be sokind enough to fill me in it would be greatly appreciated email me @msharleylady69@yahoo.com
debbie

July 04 2006 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbie

ok people i am at aloss one thing i am glad tom is gone and viginia need to be the next to go she is just pure evil. i am disappointed with this seasons supposed chefs the first season was better . i do have one problem i was out of town on the 3rd of july can anyone update me on what monday july 3rds show was about u can email me at msharleylady69@yahoo.com
debbie

July 04 2006 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott mclendon

Wish the Dragon Lady had thrown the cake ON Sara!

June 28 2006 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samuel John Klein

JDog:
I'm surprised no one is commenting much on Virginia's crush on Ramsay. I don't get it. Ladies? Help me out ... is he a hero or a zero? Maybe Virginia likes the emotionally abusive types.

Okay, I will (thank you for saying it, BTW, somebody had to). It's sickening! Look, I know that this is "reality TV" meaning, of course, that they'll manipulate the reality for the maximum drama. That's a given. Done well, it's great entertaiment. But the schoolgirl-crushes that some of the ladies are being encouraged to nurse on Chef R are just irritating distractions and dumb as...well, something that's very dumb. At least that hackeneyed "Battle of the Sexes" subplot has been mercifully put out of our collective misery.

JDog, again:
Also, what was up when Ramsay's assistant chef got all pissed off and threw a cake onto the floor when the ladies were cleaning up?

I think she had it up to the back teeth with Sara, and the way the Red team was playing it like a bunch of morons. She was giving Sara what most of us would dearly like to give her: a comeuppance. Of course, it's lost on her.

JDog, one more time:
Personally, if anyone but Heather wins, I won't be able to stand it. She's clearly the lesser or all the evils ... none of them deserve it.

I agree with you. Heather is just plain inspiring the way she steps up to meet every challenge. She's the finest competitor there; if anyone deserves to win, it's her. No matter where you drop her, she'll thrive, and she does it with such aplomb, it's fun to watch someone with so much passion.

IIRC, last years winner is out there, somewhere, looking for an opportunity. Altho' studying under the Ramdog is probably already a peak experience for the fella.

Thanks for letting me intrude.

Sam Klein.