July 28, 2014

FOX won't commit to a full season of The O.C.

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 29th 2006 9:12AM
the ocFacing some intimidating competition this fall, FOX has only ordered up 16 episodes of season four of The O.C. The network moved the teen soap opera to the 9 pm Thursday slot. After all the upfronts were announced, it turns out The O.C. is now scheduled against ratings juggernauts CSI and Grey's Anatomy. This is dicey news for The O.C., which has averaged 25 episodes for its first three seasons. But, the show may have died anyway since the writers killed off the extremely unlikable Marissa Cooper (Mischa Barton). Plus, who knows whether it will have any legs as the kids head off to college (most likely in the same town)?

You know, I think the show got really dull this year. How many times can we see Ryan and Marissa break up? And how many times can we see Seth and Summer fight? I think three seasons is all The O.C. had in it.

KT

I must agree with the above commentators that the first season was by far the best. I'm not one for TV show obsessing or following, but the O.C. season one had amazing character plot and development as well as story line plot and turn of events. Season two following with many new characters along with the original four made it harder to surpass Season 1's quirky lines and the whole comical aspect. Somehow they managed to make it better towards the end of season 2. Season three is just downright depressing with all the apathy and death they loaded in there.

I can understand why we're so bored with Seth and Summer. Of course, we love them, but what else can the creators do to their relationship at this point?!

All I'm sayin is let's hope season four doesn't kill off anymore than it already has...the comic side of Seth, the sexy bad boy good boy in Ryan, the cute and pretty side of Summer, or the love of mama and papa Cohen..

September 24 2006 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The producers didn't have balls, she wanted to die, they killed her off.

I loved the first season but not the 2 and I stopped watching about 5 episodes into the second season.

September 22 2006 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

I would be horrified if it didn't return for the full season. I cried so much when Marissa died, but the producers have some balls for doin it. I hope it's back for the full season, and that things pick up to the season 1's glory.

July 16 2006 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

The show doesn't premiere until 11/2. 16 episodes stretch a lot farther when you wait until the first day of November sweeps to premiere.

June 30 2006 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

The truth of the matter is that the first season of the OC is one of the best seasons of any tv show in the history of television -- go out and rent it and see for yourself -- the second season was okay -- this last season was an absolute disaster -- with the season starting off with such depressing storylines that it made you want to shoot yourself -- it managed to somehow make the last half of the season work. I blame Fox for moving this show into the pit of Thursday nights and just letting it die there instead of giving it a good lead in or at least moving it to Fridays this fall where it can have a chance. There are still fans out there and since creator Josh Swartz is returning, it remains very hopeful that the series will be as good as it once was. I think Fox just doesn't believe in the show anymore and that is sad because it killed the buzz worthy show when it boldly moved it to Thursdays. Fox has said that it may order more but that is contingent on ratings.

June 29 2006 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

JOHNNY!

*splat*

June 29 2006 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

I agree that this show has jumped the shark. I hung in there for a while, but finally stopped watching after the surfer kid fell off the cliff and died.

June 29 2006 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
etana

The OC could never hold it's own on Thursday night. Fox has known that from the beginning. However, the ratings have slowly been fading, and the writers have definatly lost a lot of fan's with the offing of Marissa (why fans are so mad she is gone is unknown to me?) I think Fox should have moved it to a new timeslot way back in the second season, maybe Wednesday at 8. Now, it seems pointless...I just hope that Fox allows fans to have a good parting with the show, and don't cut it off before writers have time to tye up loose ends.

June 29 2006 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wheel see

Boo to Fox...why not change the time to 8? or move it to another night...

-wC