October 20, 2014

Deadwood: Full Faith and Credit

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jul 2nd 2006 10:38PM

Deadwood - Full Faith and Credit

(S03E04) Even the slow episodes are good. I'm sure the die-hards (and I'd like to think that I'm one of them) will disagree with me when I say that this episode was slow but let's be honest. Not much happened and what did was a lot of filler. The biggest, and most important, event was Alma's decision to finally open the Deadwood Bank. Am I the only one who thought this was sudden though? I know she proposed the idea last season to Sol and I think we were to assume it was a go by all accounts, but this came out of nowhere. There's been no mention of it this season (that I can remember) and now here it is. Of course, this would explain why Alma was only willing to sell Hearst a 49% stake in her gold claim in last week's episode. She knew she would still need a majority share so that it could be used to back any deposits at her bank. I love when little connections like that are made though, because last week it made no sense to me in regards to the offer Alma made Hearst. Now it makes perfect sense. A "powerhouse" I believe Mr. Ellsworth called her.

I still stand by my original assessment though: it was a slow episode. Just look at what Bullock spent the day doing. Hoffstedtler and Samuel "The Nigger General" Fields have returned to the camp and they brought the horse that trampled Seth's nephew William. I thought that was pretty noble of the two of them to take off and find the horse. But don't forget who had been watching the livery. Steve had been assuming the responsibilities and he was none too pleased that the rightful owners were back in town.

Now this whole story line, while compelling, was a terrible use of Bullock's character. He spent the entire episode as the middle-man for Steve and Hoffstedtler, helping the two reach a buyout agreement where Steve would purchase the livery and Hoffstedtler and Samuel would move to Oregon. My point being? There was nothing better that Bullock could have been doing this episode? Perhaps paying another visit to Hearst or what happened to his investigation of the murdered Cornishman?

Other than that, the important points were far and few between. Hearst's storyline moved in a different direction. He announced to Al and Cy that he would be traveling and checking in on his interests in Deadwood only occasionally. This explains why he enlisted Tolliver last week; to watch over his claims. Al suspects something is up though, vows that he'll never speak to Hearst again, and will instead send someone in his place. That someone is Silas, with the understanding that Silas has to feign disloyalty to Swearengen in an effort to get full disclosure from Hearst. I'm not sure that will go as planned though. Let's not forget that Silas already turned on his boss Clagett way back in season one (he slit the guy's throat right in front of Swearengen). If Hearst should suspect anything and offer Silas an even better deal, do you think he might turn on Al? Makes you wonder at least.

Other Happenings:

• Doc Cochran definitely has TB. He's taken to hacking/coughing all the time now and Cy referred to him as "a lunger."
  • Joanie agreed to sell the Chez Ami to Langrishe, with the agreement that Langrishe will build a new schoolhouse.
  • Dan and Hearst's Captain are in the middle of a feud and I'm sure it won't be long until they go after each other's throats.
  • Tom Nuttall agreed to co-sign on a loan that will be used to build the camp's first fire wagon (truck?).

Best Quotes:

Con (quoting what Leon said about Langrishe's girl): "That young lady had a front porch on her I felt I could read a book off of."

Alma (while drafting a loan): "What is Steve The Drunk's surname?"

ken

love the wire too

loved the drunken discussions between bunk and whoever bunk was drinking with!!!

July 13 2006 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bloggie McBlush

RE: The Wire. With The Sopranos and Deadwood, the Wire fills out HBO's Axis of Entertaining Evil Bastards.

July 09 2006 at 2:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ike

I think Jonathan needs to watch this episode again. I would have to say this is one of the best episodes to date. Every word that is spoken is almost perfect. Also, I have never seen so much character development packed into one hour while still being incredibly organized.

#14 Ken is so right about Al's monologue, and I think Mcshane just won himself an emmy with that performance.

If you think this was a "slow" episode please do yourself a favor and watch it again.

July 08 2006 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YellowDog

I notice how people here like the rich storylines and the depth of the characters on Deadwood. HBO's The Wire has these same qualities, yet The Wire doesn't get anywhere near the acclaim (from the public at least) that Deadwood does. I wonder why. Any Wire fans in the house?

July 06 2006 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

how can we leave off al's incredible monologue at the end????

in the first season he did a similar thing, getting "serviced" while discussing his beginnings at an orphange..now we hear how his mother was taken from him while he was being "held down" by the quartermaster!!! and al is nearly in tears while he describes how he wishes he could have gone with his mom!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!

and the girl looks up at him and says she doesnt like to be held down either!!!! and al tries to apologize for holding her head and she responds that he doesnt do that and al just says well bless you for being a fibber

i found this an incredible piece of writing and acting just really really great and the reason to watch this show week to week..

apart from the terrific storytelling, characters, humor and action

heh

July 06 2006 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Commodore

My favorite quote was E.B. chatting with the pretty, cultured woman and when she leaves saying "When will I get the courage to..." and instead of saying "ask her out" or some such thing, he says "search her room." That was classic E.B.

July 05 2006 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheFunkyFist

Okay, his name is Hostetler. Please stop butchering it.

July 04 2006 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BeeJay

Is Steve the Drunk the greatest angry man ranter on TV today? He's got me believing he comes to work furious. Great job.

July 04 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A_74

IS A NEPOTIST AT THE HELM OF HBO?

It is curious that Chris Albrecht activates a publicity blitz for Entourage, which STARS HIS DAUGHTER, and cancels Season 4 Of Deadwood.

To offer, without confirmation, to end the series with two movies is an insult to the superlative quality, critical acclaim and loyal following of this show.

NO MORE DEADWOOD?
NO MORE HBO!

July 03 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent

Sorry. I meant Joanie's and Jack's deal for the school, not Alma.

July 03 2006 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply