April 25, 2014

The Doctor's new companion

by Annie Wu, posted Jul 5th 2006 12:37PM
Doctor Who and MarthaNewcomer Freema Agyeman has been chosen to play Doctor Who's new companion, Martha Jones, in the upcoming season. She already played a different character in the current season, but executive producer and writer Russell T. Davies liked her so much that she was brought in to audition again. Hopefully, Billie Piper haters can watch the program with a little more ease now.

Here's the BBC press release, but it contains a spoiler if you don't know what happens to Freema's first character, Adeola. And here's a gallery with a couple more pictures of David Tennant and Freema.

Akbar Fazil

attn the jeremy: man, I thought I had a stick up my butt about things, jeez.

Why do you have such a problem with people liking Chris the best? To alot of viewers, he was their first and in Who fandom it is usually true that you always love your first the best. And honestly, performance wise Chris brought a level of reality to the role that no other Doctor had ever done before imo. While every Doctor has brought something different to the role they have all had their own pluses and minuses. Most of the failings of past Doctors was the fact that non fans would take one look at the show and think it was cheesy kids sci-fi. Chris was albe (imo) to bridge that gap and bring in a whole new set of viewers who would never have watched Doctor Who before. This could have alot to do with the high caliber of scripts that came about in Chris' season but his performance alone made them superior.

As to Paul McGann, he had potential but it was too bad the series was not brought back correctly. And that half-human shit? I for one tend to ignore that little fact and think many fans do as well. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Unless RTD plans to cover that at somepoint, I think it is fair to say that they are ignoring it as well. I chalk it up to post regen mental issues.

July 07 2006 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Jeremy

A female Doctor? Why? Will those in the peanut gallery always making this suggestion please shut it? Geez. Give it a rest. There were Time Lords and Time Ladies in the original series. They don't swap genders like the dinosaurs in *Jurassic Park*.

So no, don't ever make The Doctor a female. If you want some female characters originally hailing from Gallifrey, then ask the producers to bring back Romana, a Time Lady of 100% Gallifreyan parentage(unlike The Doctor).

I also find those suggesting that Eccleston was the best Doctor ever also annoying. Eccleston deliberately gave a "shell-shocked" performance to contrast the 9th Doctor from all of the prior incarnations of the character due to the events that took place since the character's last outing on television. He suffered survivor's guilt from being the sole survivor of his race being wiped out in the Time War. Compare that with the lust-for-life take of the 8th Doctor before him and it becomes obvious. By his final appearance, the 9th Doctor had returned to his character's proper form, which Tennant's 10th Doctor continues.

I mean really. Had the 1996 tv movie brought the series back from the dead then and lasted 5 seasons, practically everyone would be heralding Paul McGann as the greatest Doctor ever, or at least being tied with Tom Baker for that distinction. I suspect if Tennant lasts that long, people will also make similar claims.

Count me in as liking Tennant.

July 06 2006 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Evadne- The actors name is David Tennant (not simon)

A woman doctor? Now, I would be interested in seeing that but honestly, how would you explain it? It would break ALL known fact of timelord regen if there was a sex change.

Now, have him use all 13 of his lives and then get a special regen that causes a woman version and start over (kind of like they did in the spoof "Curse of the Fatal Death"...'ive got dalek bumps!' 'no doctor, those are breasts') That would be worth seeing.

While Chris E was one of the best doctors ever (if not the best) David is doing a fantastic job. His Doctor his a bit more approachable by the general audience. His mix of happy explorer yet still carries a level of angst and guilt for what has happened is great. Just wait til the end of this season...

SPOILER ALERT!

..when he finds out once again that his ultimate sacrifice of losing all his people was in complete vain since more Daleks survived.

But then, im guessing that the secret the Face of Bo has is that there are some other timelords out there.

July 06 2006 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

This new character seems interesting, but she's got big shoes to fill. I imagine this will change the tenor of the show. I'd rather see Simon Tennant go (can't quite like him as much as Christopher Eccleston), frankly, and shake things up a bit by having a lady doctor. I know it would never, ever in a million years happen--sci-fi producers still can't quite look past 25 year old men as their audience--but it would be pretty damn interesting.

July 06 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

I couldn't even watch this week. I haven't been this invested in a character in forever. I'd rather see the Doctor change again; I just can't get into Simon Tennant (which is too bad, because he's better looking...).

The new companion seems charming enough, though. I do wonder about the Christmas special; apparently Martha won't be in it. I was hoping--when I saw these rumors about this woman originally--that they'd bring her in in the finale.

July 05 2006 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Well I was wondering if he was going to get a new companion or go it alone for a couple of episodes like the Doctor has been known to do from time to time.

July 05 2006 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I hope she is good (both the character and the actress)

I am going to miss Billie. Haters can say what they want but I found her wonderful. I felt her emotion at every turn. (my wife doesnt know she is going to leave the show and hasnt seen this weeks new episode yet, she is gonna be pissed)

July 05 2006 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply