April 24, 2014

The Emmy nominations

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 6th 2006 8:59AM

emmyThe Emmy nominations were just announced in L.A. Here are the major nominations:

Best Drama

Supporting Actress, Drama

Candice Bergan, Boston Legal
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy
Blythe Daner, Huff
Jean Smart, 24

Quick thoughts: No major noms for Lost or Desperate Housewives? Good to see The West Wing noticed for a good last season. Kevin James and Stockard Channing nominated in the comedy category?

Here's the full list.

mark

no problem with sandra oh or chandra wilson (grey's) but where's IZZY??! of all the actresses, her storyline, transformation, and performance were miles above anything on tv this season. the scene when she climbs into the hospital bed in her gown after her fiance has died and quietly cries while holding him......unforgettable. And, hugh laurie as "house".........probably the most complex character brought to life....i guess we'll have to wait for next year without sheen/janney to see these 2 actors get their due.

July 10 2006 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orimental

Okay, WTF happened? I get that Kristen Bell & VM got the shaft this year because they did very little hyping for Emmy consideration. But there are some real head-scratchers up there. How the hell did Kevin James get nominated for King of Queens? Was Ray Romano one of judges on that blue-ribbon panel that was talked about so much?

Here's how it would have gone down if I were in charge...

Comedy Series - Throw out Two & a Half Men and replace it with Gilmore Girls.
Lead Actor/Comedy - Dump Kevin James for Zach Braff and switch out Charlie Cheen for Jason Bateman.
Lead Actress/Comedy - Bye-bye Stockard Channing, hello Lauren Graham.
Supporting Actor/Comedy - Replace Bryan Cranston & Jon Cryer with Neil Patrick Harris & Rainn Wilson.
Supporting Actress/Comedy - Where are the wonderfully abrasive socialites portrayed by GG's Kelly Bishop and AD's Jessica Walter?
Supporting Actor/Drama - Even though this past season was sort of a let down, I was hoping Lost's Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje would get a nod. And did they completely forget about The Shield's Forest Whitaker?

July 07 2006 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Actually, the best sitcom on the air right now it HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER and the very least, Neil Patrick Harris should have been nominated. I don't get the appeal of the office and curb your enthusiasm which annoys you to get the laughs.

July 07 2006 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Prezioso

Patricia Arquette? Terry O'Quinn? Naveen Andrews? James Spader? Um, do these names ring a bell? I have never been more disappointed in the Emmy noms! And, what's up with the Housewives snub? But one snub I am really shocked at and can't believe: Marcia Cross! She was the breakout star of this show and of this year, and in my case, the best actress on television! But there are some good surprises: I love Lisa Kudrow and The Comeback shouldn't have been chanceled; could somebody please give Frances Conroy the damn Emmy already (the best dramatic actress?!)Sandra Oh also deserves the Emmy, I'm so happy for Two and a Half Men! Oh one other former nominee missing: where the heck is Jennifer Garner?

July 06 2006 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Yet again both Kristen Bell and Enrico Collantoni from "Veronica Mars" and Lauren Graham from "Gilmore Girls" got screwed. As did both shows (well, at least "Mars").

July 06 2006 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Everybody is bitching about Kevin James. He has been underappreciated since his show went on the air... 8 YEARS AGO. It's about time they give him a nom. Is he going to win? No, but he atleast deserves a nom. And I'm sick of hearing about Arrested Development. It's not that great. If it were the greatest show like people say, why did it suffer so badly? I watched the first season waiting for it to become funny and it just never happened.

July 06 2006 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I really wish Arrested Development got a bit more love, but they got more than I was realistically expecting, so there's an upside. And no Rainn Wilson for his role as Dwight Schrute? Yikes!

But to me, the only out-and-out royal screwing was Hugh Laurie not getting a nomination for House. It get's deservedly nominated for Best Drama, but the centerpiece of the show -- and one of TV's most entertaining performances -- gets left out in the cold. Man, that blows! Frankly, neither Krause nor Meloni deserve a nomination more than Laurie does.

July 06 2006 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

That should have read that I don't think the TWW should have been BASHED, not based. Oops!

July 06 2006 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Ok, I'm right there with everyone with the Kristen Bell and BSG snubs. I think that the HBO shows were overrated this year ('Cept for the Piv... Ari for president).

But, folks, I hate to break it to everyone, despite the fact that it sucked major eggs the last two years, the West Wing was pretty damn good this year, I don't necessarily think it should be based for being up there. Would I have rather seen BSG? Hell yes. But for those that stopped watching the West Wing when it got bad and didn't give it a chance this year, you missed out.

Now I've defended the show itself, I'll bash the invididual nominations. This is Alda's second straight nom (I think), and I think that's rediculous. I never believed in the character, and I'm the conservative watching the liberal show! Also, I don't think Janney's work (except in a very few places) was nearly up the caliber of the early years (she, more than most, IMHO, suffered with the loss of Sorkin).

As far as Graham goes, I really, REALLY tried to get into GG this season, and just couldn't do it. I like her, the character, and the writing a lot, but just not enough.

As much as I love Grey's, there's no way that it or Sopranos was nearly in the same galaxy as BSG this season. BSG is the best fraking show on TV, and deserves the praise (Hell... I would have put The Closer up before either Grey's or Sopranos this year).

July 06 2006 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I think it says a lot for how good the state of television is right now that shows as good as Battlestar Galactica, Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris, Gilmore Girls, My Name Is Earl, The Shield and Lost, to name a few, can get virtually shut out and I can still look at all the Emmy noms and feel good that most of them made sense. Not all (Kevin James? why not Jim Belushi?), but most.

July 06 2006 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply