October 25, 2014

Say goodbye to the Craig Kilborn's set

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 10th 2006 3:47PM

Craig KilbornI really like Craig Ferguson and The Late, Late Show. It's interesting that they're still using Craig Kilborn's old set. But all of that's going to change when Ferguson returns from a vacation week on July 24. Kilborn's old set is going to vanish, and a new set from Saturday Night Live set designer Akira Yoshimura will be in its place.

I always thought it was funny that the replacement they got for Craig Kilborn was another guy named Craig. Did they do it so they didn't have to change the towels in the dressing room?

I gotta admit that, even though I really like Ferguson and he's a completely different style from Kilborn, I'm probably one of the very few people who miss Kilborn. I think he brought something really different and offbeat (yet old school) about his show. I thought it was a funny, entertaining show and was sorry to see it go.

[via TV Tattle]

Lolly

Craig Kilborn who????? Craig Ferguson is quickly becoming the king of late night...even coming out of the shadow of Letterman. He is beyond funny and his sexy Scottish accent is enough to keep me awake through his monologue.

I hope the new set is the stamp of approval that will keep him around a long time...and possibly a promotion if Letterman gives it up.

July 17 2006 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judith

I adored Craigers and thought he deserved more money (Dave's turned into a cranky old curmudgeon) but I love Craig Fergusen even more (ah, how fickle the public can be). We never miss his show and, as so many have said, his dialogue is pure genius. He needs better writers, though. Bravo on the Emmy and he deserves the new set.

July 11 2006 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Jeremy

Craig Kilborn rocked on *The Daily Show*. Heads and shoulders above Jon Stewart in my opinion. And anyone who wishes to claim that Stewart has more talent, I will remind them of the two (or was it three?) shows he hosted before all were failures.

July 11 2006 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrea

Craig Ferguson is, in my opinion, the best latenight host around. I enjoy watching Letterman and Leno at times, but I never miss an episode of Craigy's show. He makes you feel at ease with him and he's honest about anything and everything he talks about. He's got a great way of telling stories. I just started watching The Late Late Show a couple of months ago, and I could have kicked myself for not getting into it sooner.

I'm glad Craig is getting his own set because quite frankly, he deserves it and he deserves to have the set done with his tastes. To make him feel at home.

One more thing...Congrats Craig on your Emmy nod! Me and the rest of the girls are proud! *Ya know who we are*

July 11 2006 at 5:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

It's not the exact set; they made some color modifications and put in a fake fireplace (which they soon removed), but it's in the same vein as Kilborn's set.

To be honest with you, I don't miss Kilborn at all. He needed to bring in the whole crew in order to be funny, whereas Ferguson is funny pretty much all by himself. I mean, he doesn't even need writers, considering his largely-improvised monologue is so much funnier than the prepared bits he does in the show's second act.

July 11 2006 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Craig Ferguson is genius. I love his monologues--if that is what you want to call it. He is really fresh and I love catching the show when I am able.

July 10 2006 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dee

I agree a bit with Bob Sassone. I like the new Craig (Ferguson) but I liked the old one (Kilborn) too, even though their styles are very different.

Craig Kilborn had a drier sense of humor, a little off-kilter, with a little sarcasm and just a hint of bitterness. In this way, he reminded me a bit of David Letterman's style and to me that was good. (I like Letterman's humor). Ferguson reminds me a little bit more of the Leno style but better - straight funny, not dry humor, very outgoing + personable.

Kilborn could be seen as a bit smug but everyone has their own way of coming across. I really felt like his show could have built up a following and might have hit its stride in 2 or 3 years. (Letterman took a few years to become a big hit).

I tried to like Conan (since he's a hometown boy from MAssachusetts) but it just never clicked. Call me crazy but it ALWAYS seems to me like he is trying too hard. A lot of his jokes fall flat and he can take it in stride because he isn't really smug but still there's a void for me.

What is Kilborn doing these days??

July 10 2006 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

I dunno, I sort of miss the original Tom Snyder version.

But if I had to choose, Ferguson wins.

July 10 2006 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cooper

I haven't watched late night talk since Kilby left. Its the same ol same ol. Conan is sometimes too self-deprecating and Leno is leno. Dave can be fun for that first 20 minutes.

July 10 2006 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Kilborn is a game show host, period.

July 10 2006 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply