September 19, 2014

Last Comic Standing: A roast and an ejection

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 11th 2006 11:31PM
Last Comic Standing(S04E06) One thing you can say about Season Four of Last Comic Standing is that it's full of surprises. The comics may not be all that funny, the editing may be choppy, the preliminary selections of comics may have been suspicious, and Anthony Clark may look like he's embalmed. But you can't deny that the comics being eliminated aren't the ones anyone expected to go so early. Unfortunately, the by-product of these surprises is a set of finalists (the set of comics that will perform live and have the viewing audience vote by phone, text, and web) that is a pretty uncompelling set of personalities and, for the most part, not very funny.

It's good that the LCS producers are moving out of the "house" and on to the live challenge rounds after only three weeks; the group that was selected isn't generating any drama, alliances, or funny situations. It would have been death to see them in the house for five weeks, which was the pattern in Season Two.

The challenges haven't been all that inspiring, either. This week's challenge, a roast, was done in Season Two; the only added twist is that there was no immunity available for this challenge, so the winner only got a Friar's Club membership and an opening slot in a Louie Anderson show (Wow. Opening for Louie Anderson. What, The Unknown Comic wasn't available?). So there was actually no point to the challenge but to show something in this episode. And it showed in the comics' performances.

About the roast: It was good to see Jimmy Norton be the roastmaster, even though they didn't really show him saying anything funny. I guess it was a little payback for being unfairly booted before the finals of Season Two. Alonzo Bodden, Phyllis Diller, and Gilbert Gottfried (who's as annoying as Kathy Griffin, but is much funnier) were the judges.

The selected roastee was Gabriel Iglesias, and mostly everyone told fat jokes. Rebecca Corry's jokes pretty much ended with the words "'Cause he's fat!" Kristin Key bombed. Ty Barnett was bland. Josh Blue's jokes almost made sense, but didn't ("They say you are what you eat. That poor Vietnamese family." Wha? Did he miss a couple of words there, like "then you must be a poor Vietnamese family"?). Roz yelled a lot. Chris Porter was the only one who pulled off  good lines, spreading the wealth like a good roaster should. He said to Diller, "I remember reading about you in the encyclopedia," and he said about Norton, "He lives in my neighborhood; I know this because the cops made him go around and tell us." It was pretty obvious he was going to win this, even though there was no real prize to win.

So, the comics were going to the head-to-head in order to narrow things to the final five. What's that you say? You thought they were supposed to whittle down to six tonight? Well, they were, until the roastee, Gabriel, got caught with a cell phone and Blackberry and got kicked out. You see, to prevent leaks and to prevent the comics from getting jokes on the outside, they're only supposed to call the outside world at designated times. But Gabriel missed his girlfriend so much that he snuck calls to her on more than one occasion. So the producers had to kick him out. They didn't play up this drama at all; there was a scene where he gets caught with a Blackberry, one where he talks to the executive producers, and all of a sudden, he's gone. They could have played this up a little more, especially considering Gabriel was the last "big white whale" -- a nationally-known and well-respected comic -- left. But, oh well. The show must go on, as Clark read to the remaining seven comics.

The head-to-head had Ty, Kristin, and Rebecca squaring off. Ty was again bland. Kristin was OK, but not as funny as she was in the earlier rounds. Rebecca, of course, was terrible, shaking her ass and kicking as she talked. As distracting as she was, it didn't prevent me from seeing how painfully unfunny she was. So, the fact that Ty made it to the final five didn't really faze me too much. All three pretty much sucked tonight. Ty just sucked less.

So, we're down to Chris, Josh, Ty, Michele, and Roz (how Roz hasn't been challenged to this point is beyond me). I don't see how anyone's going to beat out Chris and Josh, but, again, this season has held quite a number of surprises so far. Including the next surprise: Gabriel's spot is likely to be filled in by whomever wins the online vote amongst the comics eliminated in the preliminary stage. I'm hoping it's Doug Benson, because this contest desperately needs some more funny.

forzaq8

with gabe gone the show lost 50% of its funny

July 12 2006 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

Claire! - I feel that way too. I mean Gabrielle had it in the bag. He was going to win that thing.

So my theory is that he went on the show knowing ahead of time that he was going to leave early and not win. It just gave him a more publicity than he had before and pulled some gabe fans into the show than he had before as a comic.

I mean, doesn't it seem a little suspicious that they picked him for the roast? I missed the beginning, so maybe there was an explained reason why he was picked.

-----
But now that Gabe is gone, my pick for the winner is Chris Porter. He IS really funny.

July 12 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna

I can't believe Kristen didn't win the comic stand off, that Ty was not funny at all. And Gabriel getting kicked off was terrible, the show is done now.

July 12 2006 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

I found it very suspicious that Gabe got kicked off. Didn't that just seem weird? Here's my theroy: they had Gabe on to get the audience hooked, but they didn't really want him in the compition. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

July 12 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EUGENE

haha, all good joel, wise-assedly is definitely my MO. but i think that fits in with the slant on things here at tvsquad. i do enjoy your retro squad seinfeld recaps.

July 12 2006 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drex

This show is dead to me.. After Gabe got the boot for a using a cell phone I knew I wouldn't be watching much more and LCS drove that point home when I got to see the standup at the end of the night.. Chris is the only one left that has any real comedic talent IMO, but even he isn't good enough to keep me watching this show..

July 12 2006 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Me, I got the Vietnamese family joke as soon as Josh said it. But the way it was worded might make a person scratch his head if he didn't mentally fill in those words himself, that's all.

July 12 2006 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Jeez alou, Eugene. Thanks for so wise-assedly calling me out on my late-night typing skills. I've made the proper corrections.

July 12 2006 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Me

The whole "that poor vietnamese family" makes plenty of sense...i don't get why you think he needs to add extra words. he's saying that he ate a vietnamese family and that's why he's so fat...

July 12 2006 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EUGENE

did they change the words for different regions or something? bc josh's joke ended with "that poor vietnamese family" where i am.

also, you say josh needed more words. yes, technically the "that poor vietnamese family" line could've been prefaced with "then you must be..." but i think it worked fine on it's own. of course for you to say something about missing words in a sentence is a little much considering this gem you wrote:

"Well, they were, until the roastee, Gabriel, got caught trying to contact with cell phones and Blackberries and got kicked out."

got caught trying to contact with cell phones and Blackberries... maybe got caught trying to contact others/the outside world/his girlfriend... and wasn't it just the one Blackberry? (=

July 12 2006 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply