October 25, 2014

Rescue Me: Zombies

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jul 12th 2006 9:06AM

Denis Leary; Marisa Tomei; Rescue Me; S03E06; Zombies

(S03E06) I'm honestly not even sure how to react. After this episode, Rescue Me has officially knocked off Nip/Tuck as my favorite show on F/X. Sorry Shield fans (and I'm one of them), but Chiklis and Co. can't hold a candle to Leary and his boys. This was arguably a perfect episode. It was just flawless. But no sense in going through all the wonderful minor things that happened, and there were plenty. Let's get right to the point: Marisa Tomei is smoking hot.

Following their agreement last week, Tommy and Angie made plans to dine at a small bistro where a friend of Janet's is a hostess. This way, Janet will be sure to hear all about who Tommy is dating now. What's with Angie though? She went from being 100% against the whole revenge on Janet and Johnny thing to giving Tommy pointers on how to grab her ass and rub her breasts in a public setting. She really got into the part. Now, if Leary was smart... he re-shot all those scenes at least a dozen times.

Moving on, Janet never found out about the date and the kissing and the groping and buttocks squeezing. Turns out the hostess was friends with Sheila too. Unfortunately, she's not over Tommy. At least that's what I inferred from all the plate tossing and glass smashing. How come she never put up a stink when Tommy got back together with Janet at the end of last season though? Why is this any different for her?

As I said though, Janet never found out because she showed up at Tommy's later on wearing nothing but some tiny little black thing under her coat. She threw him on the couch and basically did the same thing to him that he did to her. Except, there was a lot less fighting on his part. I'm honestly not sure what's going through her mind though... other than Tommy. You could tell she was thinking about him earlier in the episode while she spoke with Johnny. It's like Johnny is chicken, Tommy is pork, and Janet needs the other white meat. Seriously though, it's weird that Johnny is replacing Tommy as the father figure for Katie and Colleen and Janet realizes it too.

All that happened in the last ten minutes, so there was plenty going on in the rest of the episode. Jerry's storyline isn't going anywhere. Mike is still "gay" but his boyfriend is seeing someone else so maybe, if we're lucky, that will get interesting next week.

Sean's bit was great though. Throughout this entire series, he's never really had a solid storyline. He always kind of piggy-backed onto other ones. Like when he had a religious awakening following Connor's death which led to him dating Maggie. I think Leary and Peter Tolan have started to realize that Sean isn't tied to anything so they can do whatever the hell they want with him. For instance, what if Sean got doped up on sleeping pills and started sleepwalking? Done. You want to talk about a funny scene. His face was covered in spinach chip dip (he passed out into a bowl of it) and he marched through a supermarket, eating food, throwing things, and insulting people. Then he stole a bunny from a pet shop. It was hilarious.

The only other major plot point was Lou. And it was major, a real turning point for him. At least I think so. Rather than lay that all out and taint people's opinions, I'm curious to know what people think about this and Lou's future. Where's he going now?

I'll leave you with a classic Lou quote though:

Lou (trying to phase Tommy after he got no reaction by mentioning that Tommy's dad wet the bed again): "I was thinking of taking a shit on the floor or maybe, uh, just puke on the couch... decisions, decisions."

Richard Yokley

My recorder cut off before the end credits appeared in this episode. Did anyone catch the name (in end credits)of Truck 62's driver, Chauffeur in FDNY terminology. I think it is the first time we have seen him and actually had a few lines as they were coming back from the fire.

July 16 2006 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angel Matos

Does anybody now whats going on with Charles Durning? He hasn't been seen in awhile. I hope he isn't ill. I really enjoyed his role as Tommy's dad

July 15 2006 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Uncle Ball Cancer

The Garrity sleep walking thing, whilst funny, stretched the suspension of disbelief. I hope Lou's moping and groping is over now that Uncle Ball Cancer showed him the light.

July 14 2006 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

The fans are smart.You all know something good when you see it.This season is better and getting better every week! I laughed so much I had to rewind most of the scenes to hear it all."zombies" should help "nail" Leary's well deserved actors award.This episode was worth the wait(stupid holidays)! Another season,too? There must be a "god", and his name is Denis. Can't wait for more.

July 14 2006 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnnymac

I also don't agree, she needs Tommy. While she was listing all the things that Johnny was good at, she might as well have been saying, "Damn you are boring!"

July 12 2006 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I really don't agree with that. Most of these episodes are filmed several weeks in advance (written even further back). The weird look Janet gave him afterwards was a sign that she clearly got off on the whole thing, and now she's "into" this new side of Tommy-- which isn't really a side of him at all. More likely, it was a random bizarre turn for him. Either way, I don't think this was done to cop to the feelings of critics and upset viewers.

July 12 2006 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TedSez

The sex scene between Janet and Tommy was clearly the producers' attempt to deal with all the outrage over what happened two episodes ago. The idea is that when Janet gets Tommy all excited and "makes" him have sex with her in a quick and emotionless way, that's the female equivalent to him having physically forced himself on her earlier. But I think most of the show's critics won't agree that they're even close to the same thing.

July 12 2006 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Once again, Rescue Me rules all. Dramedy at its best. Are they ever going to go into Tommy's inability to last more than 30 seconds in the sack?

July 12 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TedSez

July 12 2006 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I was wondering when Janet showed up at Tommy's if her, er, seduction of him wasn't about some kind of power trip. To steal a quote from "Seinfeld" to give her "the hand." She saw how the very aggressive sex made Tommy more receptive to giving her what she wanted last time, so she used the same tactic here. She wants Tommy to do something that Tommy wouldn't normally do so she uses her sexuality to loosen him up, lower his resistance to saying no automatically, if you will.

July 12 2006 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply