September 2, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 2

by Deidre Woollard, posted Jul 12th 2006 8:55AM
(S02E03) Last week, I got accused of being a bit bored by this show. Untrue, I just want the show to really rock.  The performances seemed a bit stronger this episode. Here are the songs and my notes:

Magni, 'My Generation' -- tries hard to be more rock this time, mainly this involves some screaming, he still seems pretty karaoke-pop to me.
Jenny, 'Tainted Love' -- her own arrangement, starts off very Avril Lavigne, it's a good performance but it's not really rock
Jill, 'Violet' -- She dresses as a bride carrying dead flowers, her voice gets a bit piercing (Jason Newsted grimaces), I think I've done this performance alone in my bedroom...
Zayra, 'You Really Got Me' -- Sounds like a cross between Joan Jett and Heart, I kept waiting for her to kick it up another notch but it didn't quite make it there
Chris, 'Take Me Out' -- Please take him out, he seems to be aiming for a bad Brandon Flowers impression, nearly everyone seems to be laughing at how bad this is
Dilana, 'Ring of Fire' -- This time she takes a different approach than last week's hardcore look, she does a slow version of  Ring of Fire while looking and sounding like Grace Slick
Josh, 'Arms Wide Open' -- Oh, smiley guy, Creed is never a good choice, he's not a bad singer, he's just really not the guy for this band
Phil, 'If You Can Could Only See' -- I'm not a fan of the song, but he does a decent job, he still can't seem to move well on stage but this guy has potential
Storm, 'Surrender' -- She's cute, she's got loads of energy but is she rock star enough?
Patrice, 'Heart-Shaped Box' -- She plays guitar, good energy and a good voice but not absolutely riveting
Lukas, 'Don't Panic' -- Lukas was my fave last week, this week he goes slow and his lip gloss, glitter and strangled singing just don't blow me away this time
Ryan, 'Jumping Jack Flash' -- I nearly wrote Jumping Hack Flash, that pretty much sums it up for me...
Dana, 'Born To Be Wild' -- The little girl tries to sex it up but ti just isn't happening yet
Toby, 'Somebody Told Me' -- Not bad and he's quite cute but I just don't think he's dirty enough for this band

The bottom three at the end of the episode were Jill, Chris and Zayra. It seems to me that Chris has to go this week, he would have gone last week if Matt hadn't made the ill-fated choice to sing Duran Duran.

I still think Tommy Lee and Dave Navarro on the same show is just too much of the same thing, the tattoos, the display of skin, the exquisite consciousness of where the camera is at all times, but I am loving Gilby Clarke and Jason Newsted. Jason has the most expressive face and the camera always seems to catch him mid-wince. He has a very workmanlike attitude about the business of rock that I enjoy. And Gilby, well, he's just fun to watch because he is so easily annoyed.  I dug this little exchange:

Gilby:  Do you even own any record that we have been on?
Zayra:  I was wearing diapers when that came out

I suspect that while Tommy might be easily swayed by a nice pair of legs or by someone that he thinks will look good in the band, Gilby and Jason will be the voices of reason and choose the best candidate.

Landho

At least Tommy Lee is on coke, else he has bugers... if you watch closley near the end of the show, you can see him quickly turn and grab something from behind the couch, snort from it, and put it back... it is clear he didn't think the camera was on him. I bet Carmen Electra and Dave are breaking up because Dave probably sits around with Tommy Lee doing coke all the time now.

July 18 2006 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beauzeau

Rockstar Supernova House Located: 34°05'41.18" N 118°16'18.44" W

You were right, it's in Silverlake up on the hill off the southwest part of the reservoir.

Link:

Thanks Google Earth! Found Kathy Griffin's house the same way. :-)

July 13 2006 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phish73

believe it or not, but the GnR and Metallica catalogs are still one of the most expensive out there.
it really wont be cheap for them to get a song like "welcome to the jungle", but with a band member being a part of the show, maybe they can pull some strings ?
whatever happened to Axl??

July 13 2006 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim71

I totally agree - the song choices are just plan terrible. I'm looking at the guys from Supernova and thinking this is not their type of music. I can understand why they're not doing gnr, motley or metallica but give me something harder please!! or else I am going to get bored quick - I think Gilby and Jason are getting bored as well. Tommy will keep smiling as long as there are short skirts!!

I think Chris schould have gone last week he's a joke -so is Zayra!

July 12 2006 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Mendelsohn

Hallelujah Trevor! Almost every song from this year was sung last year, and they are not doing heavy enough stuff. Though I suspect it all has to do with publishing rights and legal things, I still need to hear some GnR, Metallica and Crue.

July 12 2006 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vidfreaky

I just hate the fact that they're using almost ALL the same songs as last year. Why aren't there some songs in there that represent what this band wants to be? Some stuff from some heavy metal bands would be nice, megadeth, iron maiden, metallica, G'n'R perhaps...

July 12 2006 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

This is one of the worst shows on Television. I got into the one last year. I wouldnt be surprised if its canceled before its conclusion.

July 12 2006 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lizzie

Does it seem to anyone else that last year's crop of "rockers" were better actual singers than this year's?

Dilana struck me as over the top last week but think she did great with Ring of Fire

And can Tommy PLEASE lay off the hoochie comments with the girls? We all know you are a sexual dog so let's just deal with music talent here.

July 12 2006 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I watched the webisode before watching the performances. I like seeing them work with the house band on the arrangements and such. Chris came across very cocky and better than he really is. Lukas was toned down this week, he picked his choice and walked away kind of thing. Zayra didn't know alot of the song choices and had Hole first but let Jill have it because Jill sounded good on it. I think it's going to be close between Chris and Zayra on who is out tonight.

Personally I didn't find too much to like about the performances either. Voice wise I like Toby but he doesn't seem the fit for the band. I also agree that Storm act seems a bit put on but I could see her fronting a band with Tommy Lee in it. Dilana comes across very unsure of herself in the webisode and constantly questioning herself. Almost the opposite of the personality you see on stage so I'm not sure she's right for the band either.

July 12 2006 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Mendelsohn

It's funny Deidre last week I disagreed with you because you didn't like it enough, this week I disagree because you liked it too much! I thought last week's perofrmances overall were better than this week's.

Please America (and beyond), get rid of Chris! It's becoming embarassing and I am starting to empathise with him. You're right Deidre they were laughing at him!

The highlight for me last night was Jason and Gilby. It's like they were on coke or something compared to last week. So animated, honest, and entertaining. Much better than the INXS stiffs last year.

And Jill claiming the performance was her own, even though it was 100% a Courtney Love impression. Jill, just call it an "homage" and get on with it! If you really didn't think that was a Courtney impression, I guess you don't even know who Hole is.

July 12 2006 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply