April 25, 2014

It's all over for Rome

by Anna Johns, posted Jul 13th 2006 9:06AM
romeHBO announced that the second season of Rome will be the last. Apparently, Rome was originally planned as a mini-series but HBO was so blown away by the quality of the first episode that it picked up an entire season. HBO says logistics of shooting overseas and a very high price tag--first season topped out at $100 million--were reason enough to shut down the show.

Season two is currently filming at the Cinecitta Studios in Rome and it premieres January 7 on HBO.

Jimmy

It's sad HBO is cancelling this show. It was a great one. It's not often we find a historically-based show so interesting. I know it was expensive to make, but when you consider the lack of really good shows on HBO these days, you'd think they would keep it around. What do they really have anymore? Sopranos and Deadwood, soon to be gone; Entourage, good but a small audience; Curb Your Enthusiasm, never liked it; Big Love, boring; Lucky Louie, very bad. HBO's glory days seem to be long behind them now that most cable networks are taking a chance on original shows.

July 13 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iris B Falkson

As I have said before. HBO is not willing to pay the price for excellent shows. They are going to pay a bigger price when viewers no longer pay to see their shows.

What counts more, revenue lost by HBO for their channel or paying for good shows that keep the viewers paying and watching..

July 13 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Barry? Bad sound? WTF are you talking about? Rome has had one of the most dynamic sound tracks ever. I have never felt more in the world being presented that I did with Rome. Are you watching it on regular HBO? Im watching it on the HD feed and I get the full surround mix. Maybe on a regular tv it sounds like crap. If thats the case, dont blame the show!

July 13 2006 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DT

I can't wait for Rome to come back I guess I will have to keep HBO for a while more (after Deadwood ends)and I guess till the end of Sopranos. They have my attention until then.

July 13 2006 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ct

No Sopranos. No Deadwood. No Rome. No Carnivale. It's looks like Sunday is no longer HBO. No I can cancel it and pick up Showtime.

July 13 2006 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TERRI KITE

I'M SO DISSAPOINTED! EVERYONE I KNOW, LOVES ROME! I GAVE UP DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES FOR ROME. ITS THE BEST
WEEKLY SHOW ON TELEVISION. WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR
IT TO COME BACK. I HOPE HBO HAS A CHANGE OF HEART. I'VE
NEVER BEEN A BIG FAN OF THE SOPRANOS, OR ANY OF THE OTHERS EXCEPT ENTOURAGE, BUT I NEVER MISSED ROME. PLEASE RECONSIDER BEFORE PULLING THE PLUG!

July 13 2006 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khia213

Damn! I loved that show! Looks like dvd ownership is in the entrails for me!

July 13 2006 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barry McBurney

ROME may hve been well written but I couldn't tell as the sound garbled most of the scenes. I caught the gist of the action but it is rally a strain to try to watch a good show but be hampered by bad sound.

July 13 2006 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

This comes as no suprise to me. HBO is quickly becoming famous for greenlighting and showing expensive series that get rave reviews but then are too expensive to produce so they cut them.

However, I hope that Rome can go into it's second season knowing this and end the story well some where in Augustus' reign.

July 13 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply