October 31, 2014

AP not happy with FOX

by Adam Finley, posted Jul 14th 2006 12:01PM
associated pressThe Associated Press is protesting a ban put in place by FOX that would keep photographers from snapping pictures at the Television Critics Association press tour. The network wants the AP to use photos that FOX hands out, rather than have actual photgraphers come in and take the pictures themselves. The AP says it will not assign any journalists to the event at all unless FOX allows their photographers into the event. David Ake, deputy director of photography for the AP, says, "The problem for the AP is that, just as we wouldn't let Fox write our stories, we can't have them shooting our pictures." This seems to me like a pretty clear cut example of a violation of journalistic rights. What do the rest of you think?

BillSaysThis

This is absolutely not a free speech issue. Private (non-governmental) organizations invite people to attend events all the time, with or without the intention of getting publicity, and are still allowed to set ground rules. Free speech, with certain exceptions approved by court cases or law, only applies to governments.

AP management is right to insist on following its own journalistic standards and not cover events whose organizers make rules which don't allow the AP not to meet them.

July 14 2006 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

If FOX is hosting the press tour, then I suppose they can put any restrictions they want on it. However, I agree with the AP that it should be all or nothing. I have been on press tours before and had any restrictions about photos or article content been in place, I would have not attended.

July 14 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhonda Dombrowski

Hey what's the big deal if the network wants it that way than I say more power to them. You photo hogs get in the way and blind people with your flash, has it got so bad that you can't take pics for one day?

July 14 2006 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I don't see how the press junket can be considered a private event when it's geared towards bringing in the journalists.

But then I'm not surprised by the move. FOX is owned by Rupert Murdoch who doesn't know the first thing about journalism.

You just have to look at his New York Post to confirm that......

July 14 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

I wouldn't call it a violation of rights per se. I mean, it's a private function that the AP has been invided to attend. Journalists don't have the 'right' to invade a private event and disobey rules. It's not government, or public, or any such thing. However, the AP is doing exactly the right thing, by suggesting that they simply won't cover the event if they can't take pictures inside. Are rights being violated? No, but it's definitely a bad move on Fox's part, and has placed them in a quandary. Fox needs the publicity, and if the AP declines to cover it, then Fox is the only one that loses!

July 14 2006 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply