October 30, 2014

CBS to broadcast extended Jericho episodes online

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 17th 2006 12:43PM
JerichoSo, for one reason or another, I'm getting this newletter from TV Guide about their TCA press tour coverage; most of it highlights Mike Ausiello's and Matt Roush's tour experiences (which, knowing how each of them write, are probably completely different stories), but they also put in the latest news from the tour. In this morning's newsletter, the most interesting piece of information is that CBS will put full episodes of their new fall show Jericho online. Actually, they'll be more than full episodes; they'll each be 90 minutes instead of the 60 (actually 44, given the commercials) that will air on the network.

The extended episodes will go online immediately after the show airs. Will fans miss important plot points if they watch the standard hour version? According to CBS Digital Media president Larry Kramer, probably not. But, according to TVG, he says that viewers "don't have to go on the Web to find out what really happens, but it enriches experience because there will be four, rather than two or three, plotlines."

Uh, ok. By the way, 90 minutes is an awfully long time to put up with streaming video mishegas. I hope CBS is getting their servers good and ready for this.

lynn

Watched Jericho last week, can't wait for the next episodes. Great acting, believable characters and plot lines.
Love Gerlad McRaney & Pamela Reed. Skeet Ulrich is a great young actor and beautiful to look at too!!!
Looks like a wonderful show, hope people will watch it, and give it a chance.
Lynn

September 27 2006 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
glen

can't access the extra material outside of the US...

September 21 2006 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michigan

Saw the program - I agree, similar to Invasion in the dark/addictive quality. Plus, I personally don't think you can go wrong with Skeet Ulrich - great character actor. I went onto the CBS website, looking for the information regarding the "Others" that may have survived... But, at least immediately following the show - I couldn't find anything. Will check back this weekend I guess. I don't have the time/patience to watch a full episode online though - so I guess I'm hoping the supplementary material will be in its own separate video (maybe 15 minutes or so?)..

Hope others liked it too!

September 20 2006 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

A lot of shows are actually less than 44 minutes, even though they "say" they are 44. I score Medium for fantasyteevee, and the eps actually average 38 minutes. Apparently, the top networks need more money these days to stay on top while losing viewership to Fox and cable.

That said, why would they even tout this so early? Might this not keep some people from watching the show on TV, thus affecting the ratings? Seems like a stupid idea for the one show I am actually looking forward to seeing this Fall. I can already seeing it going the way of Invasion. Incredibly good, addicting, getting better as the season goes on with low ratings to kill it in the end. I just cannot take much more of that.

July 17 2006 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Since an hour long episode is actually only about 44 minutes, you'll probably find that these extended 90 minute episode are "only" about 66 minutes. From what I've heard the Jericho pilot episode is actually only 38 minutes, although that doesn't include any credits. That said, there would have to be a lot of credits.

July 17 2006 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply