July 24, 2014

Deadwood: A Rich Find

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jul 17th 2006 8:20AM

Deadwood - A Rich Find

(S03E06) Omar Gooding?!?! This is too much to handle. From Wild and Crazy Kids to Deadwood. And yes, before people go comment crazy, I realize he's done plenty since then. But c'mon, he hosted a show where kids threw water balloons full of whipped cream and chocolate syrup at each other. Regardless, I'm not sure what adding his character (he plays Odell, Aunt Lou's son) will accomplish. I was starting to become content with all the players we had. Now we add Odell and leave out someone like Jack Langrishe, who I absolutely love. But I shouldn't discriminate... or else I'll come off sounding like E.B. or Steve the Drunk.

Odell's business in camp seems pretty straightforward though. He knows of a rich gold claim in Liberia and wants to bring Hearst in on the project. Lou wants her son to stay away from George. I couldn't figure out why though. Was it because she wanted her son to stay away from dealing in such business or was it because she feared for her son's life in Hearst's company? Either way, I wasn't too attached to the storyline. It seemed like filler to me unless it ties into something else later on.

Alma played a huge role in this episode. Via Leon's big mouth, Cy clued Hearst in on Alma's addiction. They conspired to kill her by way of an overdose, but instead decided to hold-off. Hearst wants her claim and he doesn't care how he gets it. He even admitted to Richardson that he wants to take the camp down. It'll work too if he keeps setting Tolliver up against Swearengen.

They may not need to kill Alma though. She might do it herself. She fired Trixie, Sofia hates her it seems, and Mr. Ellsworth has left her. Things aren't too good for her right now anyway.

Back to Hearst, Al is no idiot. He sent Dan off to Cheyenne to hire recruits to help defend the town for when Hearst retaliates. Charlie knows it's coming and he can't figure out why Bullock doesn't seem to think so too. It's starting to seem more and more like that'll be how the season ends. I know from some of the articles I've read, that the actual town of Deadwood burnt down once or twice... the cause of which escapes me. Granted this show is a re-telling of some partial truths, but I wonder if Hearst's disgust of Deadwood may lead to it's razing.

Something to chew on. But what exactly would his endgame be? If he destroys the town, why bother staying for the gold? It'd bankrupt most of the people in town anyway, people that Hearst needs to man the mines. Al is the real x-factor here though. I think he knows (or at least has a hunch) more than he's letting on.

If there is something though, he's willing to get more input on it because he and Bullock decide to meet with the other camp elders and "be baffled among friends." They'll stop Hearst if they can, but it's not going to be easy. And something tells me that we may see the demise of some of those players I was becoming content with.

Eric

Does anyone know who sang "Daniel in the Lion's Den" at the end of Episode 30? How about a site to find all of the music sources on Deadwood?

July 26 2006 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason P

Richardson? It's Ralph Richeson; http://imdb.com/name/nm1615488/

July 23 2006 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stan

Does anyone know the actor's name who plays Richardson? Also, we need more Mr. Wu. His role is very minimal this season.

July 21 2006 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I LOVE DEADWOOD!!! Is HBO trying to make Bullock obsolite? This has clearly become Al's show, which is ok, but I miss the BAD Al.

July 19 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ughgawd

LOVE DEADWOOD!!! I miss Al being 'BAD' , and are they wanting to make Bullock obsolite?

July 19 2006 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

The gold mine appears to be a scam that the boy is going to try to run on Hearst... hence his mother's fears that the much wiser Hearst is going to kill her boy. (She appears to be a mother bear hurring to save her son even if it means going against Hearst.)

Also, I believe Al told Dan NOT to go get the guns yet.

I also am avoiding looking up any Deadwood history. I want to know... but I don't want the storyline spoiled for me. So, talk about the show, not about the history.

July 18 2006 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I believe the reason Blasinoff (sp?) was crying was the content of Heart's transmission, not the body in the street. Blasinoff knows the town will be burned to the ground. I don't understand why Trixie waited so long to confront Alma, nor do I understand why they set up the Doctor as having TB and then he didn't cough when visiting Dan. I also don't see that the Jane plot is going anywhere. Who else wants Steve to be killed by Odell before Hearst kills Odell?

I was reading on Wikipedia that the Hearst mine closed in 2001 although presumably it changed hands along the way. Hearst is preparing to leave town, perhaps to watch the fire from a safe repose.

July 18 2006 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Where's the Doc?? And we need more Wu! I think Hearst is going to get real nasty with Odell once he finds out that there is no gold. Hearst is much scarier than both Al and Tolliver combined.

Still a great episode though. I am now fully convinced that this is the best written show on television.

July 17 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lee

There is no gold in Liberia. It's a scam. Which is why Lou doesn't want Odell involved with Hearst. Hearst will eat him alive. And Hearst doesn't need the town, he can afford to bring in all new cornishmen or chinese to handle the mine. There's more than enough gold to justify the expense.

July 17 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply