April 19, 2014

J.J. Abrams signs $60 million deal with Warner Bros., Paramount

by Anna Johns, posted Jul 17th 2006 9:08PM
j.j. abramsGeez. I guess we know who television's "It" man is these days. J.J. Abrams, creator of Felicity, Lost and Alias and director of Mission: Impossible III, signed new television and film production deals with Warner Bros. and Paramount, totalling approximately $60 million. According to E! online, the deals wrap up some intense negotiating where nearly every Hollywood studio was vying to get the Abrams name on its stuff. There's a funny quote from a Warner Bros. exec in the LA Times, saying, "J.J. is such a unique and extraordinary talent, someone whom I've admired for years." I laugh at that because, if he was so talented, why didn't you bozos sign him years ago instead of now when he's hot? Oh, I think I just answered my own question.

J.J.'s television deal with Warner Bros. gives him $4-$6 million a year and pays $2 million of Bad Robot's overhead costs. The movie deal with Paramount gives him $2.5 million a year over five years, plus costs and $5 million for his first movie. Paramount execs call J.J. "the next Steven Spielberg."

No pressure, J.J.

Chris

Manual trackback!
Thanks for the news Anna - We did a podcast on it (Course Language Warning)

July 18 2006 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryanknapper

I wonder how well one has to know him to call him "JJ." I imagine he makes his underlings fetch things and to only call him "Jay Jay."

July 18 2006 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

"the next Steven Spielberg."

Really? So these anonymous execs are ready to compare MI:3 to Jaws? Or maybe they were misquoted and meant to say that Abrams is the next Stephen J. Cannell. Although, he still has quite a ways to go to get to that spot too.

July 18 2006 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I was just going to write in about how I'm sick to death of Spielberg making movies where people have bombs inside them in one way or another and using "grabbers". I'm sure glad J.J. is here to show us the way.

July 18 2006 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jgreene

to quote arie gold "lets hope he doesnt pull a chappelle."

July 17 2006 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply