November 23, 2014

Eureka: Pilot (series premiere)

by Will O'Brien, posted Jul 19th 2006 1:43PM
eureka
(S01E01/S01E02) The premier episode of Eureka is simply titled 'Pilot'. In a rather Monk-like introduction, we get to see some mad scientist basement action. We don't know what he's doing, but he's built something that freaks him out when he turns it on.

We come back to find US Marshall Jack Carter having a bad day. He wrecks his car in the night, stumbles into the town of Eureka in the morning. Next gets dropped to the ground by an over-aggressive sheriff's deputy.

When we meet the local mechanic we start seeing the other side of Eureka. He's building some sort of anti-gravity engine in his garage. I love this guy, he's laughing like crazy after his creation blows up in his face. That's just the first ten minutes. The episode is really interesting to watch.

After it yanks off the back half of the RV we just don't see much of the evil time bubble for a while. Instead, the time is spent introducing us to the town through Jack's eyes. It sounds like a lot of time to spend on exposition, but it's a fun ride. It would take all day to run through the entire episode, so I'll just get on with some of my thoughts on the show.

Jack is pretty likable. He's almost too normal for the show. I'm wondering if he'll get more interesting as he deals with Eureka more and more. There is some potential for interesting things between him and Allison.

Taggart is just kind of weird. He's hilarious if you pay attention to him but he's just not central to the plot for the pilot.

Probably the best character is Beverly, psychologist/bed and breakfast owner. At first she seems like a sideline character, but in the end she reveals that she's not only sexy, she's some sort of evil mastermind.

The writers seem to enjoy dribbling information to us. Not only episode is full of little revelations but it does a great job of setting up the series. I'm pretty sure I'll be looking forward to watching this on Tuesday nights.

If you missed the pilot, SciFi is airing it four more times before the next episode.

Jen

This was a fun pilot to watch. I really did set things up for what will hopefully be an amazing season! Yay!
Beverly is interesting. I'll be curious to see where she goes.

I like Jack as the constant with everything crazy around him. :P

Henry is my favorite. The constant explosions from his place are great!

The dog is interesting too. Hmm.

I love the geometrically shaped bubbles and the complex math written in sidewalk chalk. All in all, a fun time indeed!

I like Greg Germann and am saddened to see that he is not in the rest of the series. I think that's a mistake...

August 10 2006 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keith

finally a scifi series for people who can think!..geeks beware..cylon lovers take a hike!

July 31 2006 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Crist

I'm 75 yrs old & have never enjoyed a program so much as "EUREKA" & STARGATE-1, NOW MY 2 MOST FAVORITE PROGRAMS. As I have been reading or viewing scifi for over 56 years I've either seen or read both very good or very bad stories. sincerly maggie

July 26 2006 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sebastian

Kurifurisan - Life on Mars starts Monday on BBC America. It's a great show, and everyone should watch it.

July 20 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Probably my favorite of all the pilots ... well, right after Psych. But this show has the potential of being a fantastic show and it was really good for a pilot. Grabbed me right away. It's got a mix of MIB/Outer Limits/Northern Exposure and yet it's completely new. I loved it and I cannot wait until they air a new episode. Well done!

July 20 2006 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kurifurisan

I kinda enjoyed the show last night. Hopefully it'll pick up in the next few eps before I make a final decision. The extended preview for Battlestar was fraking excellent. And both The Dresden Files and Lost Room are looking interesting. Now if we can lose the ECW crap and bring back classic series like G vs E or Brimstone to fill in the gaps....or even BBC shows like Hyperspace, IT Crowd or Life on Mars. At least Darkplace is coming to SciFi.

July 19 2006 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I thought Eureka was a lot of fun. It wasn't great, but it's far cry from the usual crap SciFi has been putting out lately. The show has potential. They've gathered together an interesting group of characters played by a interesting group of actors. I've always thought Colun Ferguson was underrated and he inhabits the role well. The show in nominally SciFi in nature, more like a government conspiracy, X-Files vibe. Obviously, there is some group out there who wants to sink the program and/or expose it. How that plays out will be interesting to watch. Hopefully, the writers can sustain the level of comedy and science elements. Of course, the best part of the whole show was the long preview of Battlestar Galactica, which looked fracking great! And the preview of The Dresden Files. I'm not thrilled with the person they chose to play the lead character (too old), but the show looks good.

July 19 2006 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Toby OB, I got the same "Hitch-hiker's Guide" vibe as you did--didn't know if it was intentional, but I got a kick out of it.

I also got an "old man in Paranoia Agent" vibe out of the little kid doing his equations on the sidewalk.

I hated Taggert. Frewer didn't seem to do much more than mug at the camera, and his Aussie accent SUCKED.

I liked the show, though. It moved slowly, but the characters were interesting and Colin Ferguson was really engaging. And, to disagree violently with Man, above, it's head and shoulders over "Kyle XY," which is cheesiness personified.

July 19 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Based on the previews for upcoming episodes, it looks like there will be some retooling between the pilot and the rest of the series.

First off, apparently Greg Germann was brought in primarily as some level of "name" to help launch the series. But it appears his character of Warren King will be relieved of his duties (which seems logical considering what happened), and to bring a new obstacle into the working relationship between Jack and the D.O.D. rep, they've hired on her husband to be the new head of the institute.

I hope the fact that they've brought in Jack to be the "town marshal" doesn't mean we've seen the last of Maury Chaykin. I've always liked him and think he'd still make for a fine eccentric in this town. Hopefully he wasn't just a military commander, but some kind of scientific genius as well?

Jeez, "Jack Carter"? I'm getting visions of borscht belt comedy every time I hear the name.

And they came close to a tip of the hat to "Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" when King replied, "Everything. Life, the Universe...."

The great thing about this premise is that with an entire town to play with, they'll never run out of plotlines!

July 19 2006 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

I loved it. Most Sci FI shows have forgetten to be FUN. This show was fun. Yeah there were characters who could be better, etc. Watch the first episode of ST:TNG and tell me it was even remotely good?

July 19 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply