December 18, 2014

NBC offering previews through Netflix

by Adam Finley, posted Jul 19th 2006 1:04PM
nbcIf you're a Netflix subscriber like I am, you might find this interesting. NBC is offering previews of two of its upcoming shows to Netflix subscribers starting on August 5. The premiere episodes of Aaron Sorkin's new series, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, as well as Kidnapped, a show about the abduction of a teenage boy from a wealthy family, will be available to subscribers. The DVDs will also feature trailers of other NBC programs. I can see why NBC would want to start off small with something like this, but it would be nice if eventually they and the other networks made a habit of pre-releasing all of their premieres in this fashion. I would think it might help to generate early buzz for their shows.

erroneous_nick

Akbar, please. The purpose of this comments section is to give your thoughts on the article, not to insult others because you disagree. Your inappropriate remarks make me feel that you are immature if you cannot accept that not everyone is going to like what you like.

Please, if you thought out your comments (speaking of a pompous attitude) you'd realize you were so angry about my different opinion that you totally missed the no-cost option you suggested in your first comments: torrents. That delivery method would cost them nothing, they wouldn't have to pay for extra bandwidth, servers, etc.

You had a great idea and let your childish anger blind you to that which resulted in your tantrum over the fact that you like vanilla and I like chocolate.

July 21 2006 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Nick, what an ignorant statment to make.

Its all about cost analysis.

Studio 60 is already getting a HUGE buzz. Getting a sneak peak of it out to let people see it is a good thing but is still unconventional to the "suits"

The difference in cost of pressing a small run of discs when compared to the cost AND maintance of putting an episode online for free is huge.

And why such the pompous attitude towards Netflix? Its a great service if you rent any load of films. Or are you just hurt that not everything is handed to you for free and now you have to wait to see it when it airs?

July 20 2006 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

So the last-place network thinks their potential audience is so eager to see what the losers have to offer that they put previews on a pay-for service? Now it's clear that there's more reason for NBC's last-place position than just their shows stinking...their decisions to woo a potential audience have the same stench. If they were really interested in building an audience they'd have those previews offered on their website for free, right now, no restrictions. I guess they're comfortable with another year in last place. I'm not the least bit interested in anything they're offering and since I don't subscribe to Netflix, and never will, there's absolutely no chance I'll get a chance to change my mind about NBC's new offerings.

It's as if they're trying to lose their audience.

July 20 2006 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

My one concern with this is that they are going to be releasing this close to the actual airing of the pilot. Now if I rented that DVD and watched Studio 60 and liked it, I probably wouldn't watch the pilot again a few weeks later when it airs. Now I will tune in for the 2nd episode when that airs, but the 1st weeks ratings won't really be reflective. Hence they won't get a true feeling as to the drop off from the 1st episode.

Hope this makes sense.

July 19 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

thats pretty cool and a smart way to do it. I would love to see all networks do this for all new pilots. Hell even better, have them wake up and embrace the torrent delivery system.

July 19 2006 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply