July 28, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 3 Performances

by Deidre Woollard, posted Jul 19th 2006 7:23AM
rock starThey try to stir up some drama between Patrice and Jill when it comes to song choice but let's just get down to the performances...

Patrice, Helter Skelter -- She sings well enough but as my mate pointed out, she's a bit Liz Phair, cute but not really rock.
Josh, Come As You Are -- Smiling even during Nirvana? Josh tries to rasp it up and go darker but there's something lackadaisical about his performance
Storm, Just What I Needed -- She's definitely sexy and she's got Tommy's attention but I'd like her to tear up the stage a bit more, she's too controlled, I found myself watching the fabulous backing band instead.

Lukas, Let's Spend The Night Together -- He's got the strut and he uses every inch of that stage, his voice seems a bit weak but he really tears it up, he may be arrogant but he puts every inch of himself into his performance.
Jill, All Right Now -- Hello, American Idol, she really sings hard but kicking the mike stand does not a rock star make
Ryan, Fortunate Son -- As Gilby points out he looks uncomfortable on stage and doesn't really seem to have the magnetism to front this band.
Phil, White Rabbit -- Jason Newsted plays bass during the song, Phil is so much better this week, he moves, he sings well, he emotes and he works the crowd, so what if he can't hit that high note?
Dana, It's My Life -- Okay, she needs to go now, she's a sweet girl but this is not the right band or the right show for her, I think she's just wasting everyone's time here including her own.
Toby, Runaway Train -- Oh those blue eyes, but this song sounds so country from him, I still need him to be a bit dirtier
Magni, Plush --Tthis is a good song for him and it's a strong performance but does it really work to wear dark sunglasses on stage?
Zayra, Everybody Hurts -- She sings it slow which just showcases the faults in her voice, she sounds like Bjork this week, the band loved it so go figure...
Jenny, Drive -- Strange outfit, strange performance, it was good enough but not quite great.
Dilana, Zombie -- Good choice for her to showcase her unique style, very intense and powerful, she really gets the crowd into her performances.

The bottom three so far are Jenny, Dana and Ryan, I'm ready for Dana to be gone.

jules

Without Dilana's awesome performance, this whole show would have been a drag. Lukas is just way too arrogant. Why will I spend dollars buying concert tickets or albums of a group whose lead singer is just so distastefully arrogant and ooooh soooooooo annoying, in several aspects???!!!

July 21 2006 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jules

My best bet for the last week of the show -- DILANA. She's the sure winner, unless this whole competition is scripted and Lucas has already a contract with supernova.

July 21 2006 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott in LA

Zayra is beautiful and young and has a nice and quirky voice, but I always think "Euro Idol" or some kind of nightclub extravaganza show in Berlin or Madrid. Definitely not a rocker!

July 19 2006 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sixx69

I followed SL's instructions:

July 19 2006 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I think it's crap that they spout off about song choice when this drivel they have to choose from is actually a prerequisite. WTF is with a CRANBERRIES song choice?? I mean, yes, Dilana with her eerie resemblance to Yvonne DeCarlo did the best she could with it, but I don't see her fronting the band if she continues to sing slow songs every week.

Josh is such an embarassment - singing Nirvana not only with a smile but winking and nodding to the audience like he's in an old Will Farrell/Chris Cattan SNL skit.

Ryan would be great in the I Wanna Be Springsteen contest, but he has no personality and I have no idea what he even enjoys.

Dana enjoys country, and she must have gotten in to the wrong contest line as she should be on that country show on the country network.

Zayra is an acquired taste at best, even Bjork is an acquired taste, and one of her is enough. I'm sorry, but someone who sings with an accent will not front a metal band. She sounds like she's ready to riff into 99 Luft Balloons.

Jenny should be on the Lilith Fair - if she wants to take Patrice, that's fine, but Patrice is far harder than Jenny could ever hope to be. She and Dana were both in the wrong lines while auditioning.

Phil - Why does everyone love this guy all of a sudden? I hate that his tongue hangs out all the time, his body moves like he's receiving shock treatment. He would have been an excellent choice for INXS, but not ex members of Crue, Guns & Metallica.

I spend so much time cringing while watching, you'd wonder why I continue to tune in. Turns out I really like LuKas, Storm (just let the girl do her own thing, she keeps listening to them and she hasn't given another performance like her first, which was great!), Toby and Jill (she's doing much better than her first appearance and frankly she kills much better then the female and male warblers, of which their are plenty).

July 19 2006 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tanawana

I agree about the vocal mix as stated previously :O(

But the way I understand the song choices are due to limited licensing to perform only certain ones. Apparently when Matt sang his Duran, Duran - It was the only one available to him at the time he has stated in interviews.

July 19 2006 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Celly

Best 1-Liner ever...

Tommy Lee -- "I'd like to see more of you...."
Storm -- "Tommy.... Six Letters.... Google..."

July 19 2006 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Mendelsohn

Enough of Zayra already! I cannot see what the band saw last night. In the words of INXS last year, she's "not right" for the band. Enough already.

Dana is not right either. She may be toast tonight.

It's too bad about Jill. I think her voice may actually be one of the best of the group, but her stage work is just not right either.

Magni really kicked it up a notch I thought. Outstanding, despite the ridiculous shades. And Lukas and Dilana continue to be the front-runners by a mile.

July 19 2006 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Last year, Rock Star: INXS was my favorite summer show. Sure, there were some duds among the contestants, but there were those with real vocal talent and stage presence. Not so this year - so far, I have yet to see a single contestant capture my interest or emotions. Last year, performance after performance wowed me - I would have gladly paid to see a line-up of Mig, Marty, J.D. and Ty. This year, it's strictly amateur hour. Good luck to the Supernova boys, they've got a tough choice ahead of them - not because the competition is so stiff, but because none of the wannabees are good enough. "Sucks the least" is, unfortunately, going to be the winning criteria.

July 19 2006 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

What I didn't get is they told Storm to stop acting it up, stop being a character and I thought she did the exact same thing this week that she did last week. She gets bug eyed, she uses the mike like a phallic symbol, she stares into the camera, etc. It might have been toned down just a tad but it wasn't any different. I like the girl and I like the give and take she has with Tommy but why praise her for doing the same thing you criticized her for before.

Phil gave his best performance and it was a good song choice. Dilana did a great job at making a song her own. Zayra gave her best performance and I said the same thing, she sounded like Bjork. Toby has a great voice and I just love hearing him sing. He might not be right for these guys but I definitely want to follow him. Magni wore glasses. In the AI world, you get voted off when you wear sunglasses, will that be the case here? Doubt it since T-Lee and co get the final say. He sounded the best he has all season on STP.

Dana and Jenny need to go. They are misplaced in this competition. Jenny needs a girl band and Dana needs American Idol. Dana also needs to get a major hot oil treatment or something on that over permed hair of hers. It hurts me every time I see it.

I did think this week had more solid performances than we have had in the past. They are taking it much more serious. The problem is the songs they are giving them to sing. It's about time we stop singing the stuff from last season and move on to something harder. I guess they think they will alienate their audience if they put metal songs out there.

July 19 2006 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply