August 1, 2014

Blade: Bloodlines

by Michael Canfield, posted Jul 20th 2006 8:23AM
Kirk Jones and Jill Wagner (Blade and Krista)(S01E04) A big chunk of Blade's past is revealed when the daywalker gets captured by survivors of a street gang that had rescued him as a homeless kid years before. Blade then spends the entire episode chained-up, getting the bejesus beat out of him. Turns out the gang - now called the Bad Bloods - is where Blade got his signature look. His tats are gang tats.

Blade repaid his adopted bro's by turning them all into vampires. Not nice -- but remember he was just a kid. The ganstas don't let him forget that, and keep calling him "little one" which has to hurt at least as much as does the beating he takes. Also, seems getting turned by Blade makes you persona-non-grata in the undead community - so these dudes have been hunted into near-extinction by Chthon and the other vampire Houses. Now the Bloods want to trade Blade to Marcus in exchange for peace in our time. Great! Just what I needed, another faction to try and keep track of. But it's a pretty cool wrinkle added to Blade's history, and anyway, the gang looks to be history itself after tonight.

Meanwhile, Krista, for her half of the episode, is still pained, conflicted, and smoking hot.

Platinum-blonde vampire Chase is back to hating and resenting Krista fulltime this week, while platinum-blond vampire CEO Marcus helps that relationship along by continuing to insist that his two main squeezes spend every waking moment together. This time, the undead princesses catch a flight to a new-agey vampire zen retreat located in (where else?) Oregon. Namaste! Now, I get why we've been following bad cop (and worse vampire) Boone's progress along the interstate as he drinks blood from truck stop to truck stop. I had missed or forgotten that Boone was Krista's first kill. Marcus wants Chase to make Krista track down Boone so that she can ash him (or something) and this will really cement her to the dark side. Er, I think. To that end, Krista get a nice soak in tomato juice, which looks like it is going to get up in her nose and everything.

My man Shen has a nice essential role this week for once, and comes in to save Blade and the day. Now the dynamic duo can get back to whatever they were doing last week, and the pediatrician who blew his own brains out the minute he glimpsed Blade on the clinic's security monitor.

There are 9 episodes left this season. I'm committed now to watching the entire run, but I am really curious to know ... what do you guys think? Will you keep watching?

And before I forget, last week Gordon Werner mentioned he hasn't seen any Jill Wagner (who plays Krista) Mercury Ads recently. Has anyone else? Or has Jill's spokes-chick gig ended?

rick

Hey- I think this series is awsome. Lots of action, good storyline, lots of vampires that actually look like vampires when they get pissed and plenty of blood going around. Krista the hot vampire chick is a def. plus. Im in for the rest of the run.

July 25 2006 at 5:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Blade is my fav' television program. And Sticky's version of Blade is Hott. I liked that we were able to go back into Blade's history. To find out more about him when her was a kid-teen. And to find out about the Tats wow that was very interesting to me.

July 22 2006 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

The main problem I have with this series is Blade. They guy playing him can't act. Now it can be argued that neither can Wesley Snipes but when he doesn't act it feels right there's a natural neutrality to his performance. This guy seems to be forcing it. Plus he can't fight, I don't remember Snipes being knocked on his ass so often or so easily as this guy.

July 20 2006 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Well, I think I'm committed to watching the rest of the run, but I just don't like the actor playing Blade. They need someone who more closely resembled Wesley Snipes both physcally and emotionally. Hee's too short, he's not muscled enough, and he couldn't act his way out of a dark hole.

July 20 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Every woman in this show is HOT!!! And its writing is funny and hip, and the acting is far better than what a lot of the SciFi channel has to offer. I have been very pleasantly surprised by this show, and like Mack, I'm on board for the remainder of the season.

July 20 2006 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

To answer the Jill Wagner Mercury commercial question: yeah I seen one or two and I BELIEVE it was during the Stargate SG-1 season premiere last Friday and I know I seen another one of them during Adult Swim.

I like Blade - The Series and I'm definetly glued (or Tivo-ed) for the remaining 9 episodes. I like that we're getting backstories here and there with the major players (Blade a former gang member, Chase and her hubby, Krista's Iraq flashbacks), and action thrown in here and there. I like Sticky's Blade. He's brooding, a smartass, and a badass.

I'm definetly curious as to more of Blade's story; why does he do exactly what he does? THe movies never delved into that very deeply, so maybe we'll get an episode that 'splains all that.

Jill Wagner is HAWT, HAWT, HAWT! Although, with the whole blood pool scene at the end, why didn't we get a good side-boob shot?! I don't think the Boone story is gonna be all that clean cut as you say. Just killing Boone to turn her fully to the vampire dark side seems too simplistic.

As for the baby in the picture I mentioned in last episode's post; I think that was baby Blade. So the OBGYN who blew his brains out was the one who delivered Blade? And worked on the Aurora Project, and now there's a pregnant blond chick in the vampire mix? I wonder if Blade and his mom were part of some original Aurora Project?

Next week looks like almost all action and that's a good thing.

July 20 2006 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

"repaid" and "gangstas" in the first 2 paragraphs. Not to mention the missing word in the first paragraph -> as "a" homeless kid.

July 20 2006 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply