April 25, 2014

Patricia Wettig leaving Prison Break

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jul 20th 2006 11:22PM
patricia wettigIf you watch Prison Break, you may recall that the season finale featured the President of the U.S. dying, leaving the Vice President to take office shortly afterward. Now picture season two without the new President making an appearance. That's going to be the case unless Patricia Wettig's character is recast or the writers think of a very clever way to write out her character or hide her from having to be seen at all. The actress has decided not to return next season, instead opting to join the cast of the new series Brothers and Sisters.

To me the only thing that seems to make sense is a recast, but I just hate recastings, especially when such a paramount character on the show is being replaced. What are your thoughts on the matter?

overviewgirl

HOW COULD SHE!! She has to know that she has let down the best crack team of actors I have ever seen, in a series blisteringly well written.

While I am not a fan of recasting either, I suggest that the casting directors ask Meryl Streep to take her place. This is a coldly, deadly serious suggestion. Her physical resemblance is good, and, although I know that she has not done television in the past, if Mr.Scheuring asks her, I would like to think that she would see the point of appearing in such a quality production.

August 21 2006 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret

I usually hate recasting, but the character is pretty important to just disappear.

Like mentioned before maybe this means more of Michelle Forbes.

August 18 2006 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

If only she'd made her decision before the last episode. Going into it, they certainly had a means of writing the character out. Now, though...it does seem like the character is pretty pivotal.

I'll wait and see. I liked Wettig, actually, but maybe this means we'll see more of Michelle Forbes' character.

July 21 2006 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bird

For me, replacing such an impressive character is simply just unacceptable. I don't understand how Patricia comes to such a decision---back out from a fantastic TV-show......

July 21 2006 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles

I didn't even realize Patricia Wettig was signed for this show. Being an Alias fan, it makes me smile to see her lifted to appear in the same show as Ron Rifkin and Balthazar Getty.

July 21 2006 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mase

Although I'm not a fan of recasting at all (e.g. Nurse Samantha Taggart's [Linda Cardellini] son on ER has been played by three different actors now, I believe).

However, Wettig leaving is one more reason to watch PRISON BREAK and one less reason to watch BROTHERS & SISTERS. Her acting is always poor.

July 21 2006 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

once 'brothers and sisters' fails, she'll come crawling back...
seriously, though... when Alias couldn't get Lena Olin to return for season 3, they kept Irina very much alive throughout the entire season in some very clever storylines.
i think Prison Break won't have much to do with the president this year, but if they're recasting Terrence Steadman, they should figure out how to get the president back in the story...

July 21 2006 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

I'm not a fan of recasts either, but I am left wondering if they attempted to extend her contract after the show was picked up for a full season. It seems a bit negligent of the producers to let the contract of such a critical character lapse. I guess it leaves the question open as to who you would recast. Off the top of my head, I like Debrah Farentino.

July 21 2006 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply