August 29, 2014

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Gang Gives Back

by Richard Keller, posted Jul 21st 2006 10:20AM

The cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia(S02E06) Hi, everybody! Rich Keller here on behalf of Jonathan Toomey, who is currently without electricity. So, while he takes cold showers and eats all of the remaining ice cream in his freezer so it doesn't melt I will be reviewing this week's episode of Sunny in Philadelphia.

Now, I haven't watch the show from the beginning, so I'm not familiar with the whole "flaming poo" incident where the gang actually burned down a building and were charged with arson. However, it seems to be biting them on the butt now as they have been given several hours of community service to accomplish. For most of the gang its over to the gym to coach the youth basketball program. For Charlie, who actually threw said bag of flaming poo, its garbage pickup on the highway and sessions at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting to see if he can be redeemed.

I've read Jonathan Toomey's very positive reviews of this show, and heard the comparisons of Sunny to Seinfeld. Yet, I didn't see any comparison to the classic series. Furthermore, I must have hit a weak episode, because I didn't find it very funny.

Other than a few snickers here and there (Charlie bringing a beer to an AA meeting, for example) I found the episode a bit annoying. Particularly the scenes where Dee, Mac and Dennis (and eventually Dad) coach the youth basketball program. I know that these characters are fairly unsympathetic and care only about themselves, but the whole setup was just wrong. It wasn't offensive (to me at least); the whole concept just wasn't doing it for me.

The one exception in this episode was Charlie. I guess if you were to have some small comparison to Seinfeld Charlie would be like Kramer. He seems to be the most emotional (in a self-centered sort of way) of the entire group of friends. In tonight's episode he meets up with the coffee shop waitress from the episode 'Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom' and tries to hook up with her. However all she wants to do is be her AA sponsor, and that's only to get closer to Dennis. Charlie really likes this girl and actually goes to lengths of becoming a referee at the youth basketball game to impress the waitress, who thinks that it's great that Dennis was working with kids.

While I didn't really enjoy the episode I did find it intriguing, like watching a car accident. It may be that it needs to grow on me, and I'll probably watch some other episodes just to see if I reviewed a weak one. Jonathan, hope ConEd gets your power up soon, so the next cold front can knock it out again.

KAtie

This wasn't the best episode, I think because it went a little over the top. Most of the time, this can be funny, but the jokes just weren't set up very well.
One example: Mac and Dennis teaching the cheap tricks in practice. I felt like it would have been funnier for them to just throw them in during the game or something. It just didn't work.
The Charlie scenes were funny, though. All the other episodes I've seen have been hilarious as well. Just a slightly off week.

August 06 2006 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

This episode was not one of the best but still was hilarious and that is saying something about a show, i wasn't really into it during the first season but this season they came out swinging. This episode had a lot of good jokes (mac gives dee a black eye, and the vietnamese gambling ring) this show is turning into a classic

July 23 2006 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

This show is getting real close to being an all-time classic. One more season as good as the first two and it will enter the pantheon with Seinfeld, Curb, and Arrested.

July 23 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

This is the first show to make me laugh out loud in a very long time. Charlie portrayal of the youth-league referee in this episode is a classic must-see. Think Leslie Nielsen's Frank Drebin, playing the umpire in The Naked Gun, meets Dennis Hopper's character, stumbling onto the basketball court, in Hoisers. If you don't like this show, you either have no pulse, or you're way too uptight.

July 22 2006 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

Biz Markie, song called "Just a Friend".

July 22 2006 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

This episode was an absolute riot. If you'll notice, the episodes written by Charlie Day are the funniest, he's sort of the "Larry David" of this show.

In a way, I think this show sort of ties together aspects of South Park and Seinfeld. Most people know the ways it's similar to Seinfeld so I won't mention that. But it reminds me somewhat of South Park with the way that they seem to pick hot topics and blow them out of proportion. Except in South Park there is usually some type of underlying (usually libertarian) message, whereas Always Sunny has absolutely no message. Except that these characters are completely amoral.

July 22 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

My favorite moments:

Watching the drunk referee actually play in the game.

The scene where they are picking team members: "You can do that! You can't...you can't pick all the...".

July 21 2006 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Wow, short-term memory, people. This incident was the second episode of season two. A guy buys the building next to the bar, which by zoning is technically half of the bar. He tries to kick them out, they try to get rid of him by doing toilet paper pranks, etc., and it culminates with the flaming poo bag, which burns down the building. In the meantime, charlie and dee's dad (Danny DeVito) buys the building from the dude in order to own a stake in the bar.

You didn't question the fact that the dad now clearly owns the place, so you guys remember that... Did the poo incident and cops discovering the gang's jihad tapes just slip your memories? Yeesh.

This was another great episode, everyone needs to go back and watch season one if you haven't already.

July 21 2006 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brett

Charlie used the flaming bag of poo to try to get rid of the guy that bought the property the bar was included in. The property had a gas leak. When the flaming poo bag was added, the building blew up. That is why they got sentences in court.

July 21 2006 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply