July 23, 2014

New Heroes fansite up and running

by Richard Keller, posted Jul 21st 2006 5:45PM

The 9th Wonders fansiteI always find it intriguing when a website is created for a show that hasn't even premiered yet. I can see fansites being created for past and present shows, as there is material out there to gather necessary information. However, a fansite for a show that isn't even appearing for two months?

Case in point is Craig Byrne's new site, 9th Wonders, which is dedicated to the new NBC fall series Heroes. Slickly produced (the main page looks like a comic book straight from the 1960's). the site features interviews with the creator and director of the series as well as the actors who will portray the unknowing heroes. Also featured is prop artwork created for the show by comic book artist Tim Sale.

There is also a link to discussion boards where topics range from episode one previews, discussions on spoilers, and panels about superheroes in the media in general. As the premiere days draws ever closer (September 25th at 9:00 PM) I'm sure there will be more information added to the site.

[Thanks to Jeff for the tip]

doc

That is the site I was trying to remember. Thanks HeroesFan.

July 31 2006 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HeroesFan

9thwonders.com isn't a fansite. It is actually the show's official website.

http://heroes.nbc.com/ links to it.

An example of a true fan site (created by a fan) is http://www.heroes-tv.com

July 27 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

That certainly is a slick looking site, but I balk at the term fansite. It may just be semantics, but to me a fansite is something not connected with the actual production. A site that a fan put together because they are nutty about a show. A good example is fireflyfans.net. Haken started that site the summer before Firefly premiered and it is still going strong today. And it kept going even when FOX killed the OB, and when Universal put the kibosh on the official Serenity forum.

And that is my worry with 9th wonders. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but rather than a fansite, this looks to me like a very well done official site. The fact that its namesevers are ns.ge.com, ns1.ge.com, and ns2.ge.com would seem to indicate that anyway. And the trouble with official sites is that once the money has been made, big companies are not so good with the keeping things going for the fans. And unfortunately, usually legal concerns keep them from releasing things into the hands of the fans to continue. Do you really think that if Heroes craps out early like Firefly that GE/NBC/Whoever is going to keep the site around for the next 5 years, ala fffnet? Maybe, but history does seem to suggest otherwise.

There is an actual Heroes fansite already. One of the tvsquad commenters linked to it the other day. I don't have time to go find the link at the moment. Hopefully he will be along to toss that link out again.

July 24 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orimental

It's going to be on Mondays at 9pm. Spread the word.

July 24 2006 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rico

I downloaded the "pilot" (S01E00) for this show last week and watched it with a bunch of friends. After it was done, all we could do was sit there with mouths agape. The episode was so well-done as to make comparisons with Lost. Everything - the acting, the dialogue, the story, the music - did such an incredible job of creating a mood and atmosphere, the end result being that you truly believe this world exists, as well as the super-powered individuals who live in it. The (hopefully) converging storylines are intriguing enough to make me come back for more every week. I think my favorite thing about the pilot was the music; it had kind of a Silent Hill feel, in that you never hear any sort of bombastic "hero theme". It's all atmospheric, subtle, and at times sounded like Sigur Ros, which isn't a bad thing. If you're a comic book nerd (like me), or just like well-made television, you should check this show out when it starts. Anyone know what day of the week it's on?

July 24 2006 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anonymous Eric

The pilot for HEROES is also out there on the P2P networks (e.g. www.mininova.org). I saw it and thought it was just okay. But I am not a fan of superhero shows/movies.

July 24 2006 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

Oh. I hate how movie and television studios try to set scifi in reality all the time.

July 24 2006 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orimental

I saw the pilot at Comic-Con on Friday. It was pretty good. It's a superhero show set in reality. Moreso than X-Men. So you won't see any optic blasts or anything like that.

The fansite is actually being used in all of the official promotion for the show, so there's a lot of great content direct from the show's cast & crew.

July 23 2006 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

How did you see the pilot to a show that won't air for a couple of months?

July 23 2006 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I didn't think the pilot was that great. Not terrible mind you, just kinda... you know... mediocre. So i'm sure it will be picked up and marketed hard :-)

July 22 2006 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply