October 31, 2014

NBC will air an edited Madonna concert

by Anna Johns, posted Jul 22nd 2006 11:39AM
madonnaMadonna must be just as desperate for fans as NBC is for viewers. OK, that's probably not true. No one is as desperate as NBC. The Material Girl has agreed to let NBC film her summer concert tour, called "Confessions on a Dance Floor", and edit it for a primetime audience. I think that means they'll leave the part where she crucifies herself on a disco cross on the cutting room floor. But, what about the S&M number (pictured)? Wait. How much of any Madonna concert is acceptable for a primetime network audience? There's a reason these things air on HBO.

Of course, I am a child of the '80s so I will probably be watching. I imagine this will garner at least one night of hot ratings for NBC this fall.

jesse

Those who have not seen the crucifix scene are misunderstanding it because it is Madonna. She does not writhe. The song is a ballad. It is preceded by a montage of confessions from her dancers. She then confesses, takes up the cross. It is no more offensive than an actor portraying Jesus on the cross. There is nothing hostile in the nature of the performance, and definitely nothing humorous or mocking. It is one of the more serious pieces, and as such should be kept. Those who dismiss it as Madonna using controversy to make money should note that her concert dates in America long sold out prior to any knowledge of this performance.
I would think it more disrespectful to the Christian community to censor this performance, considering it is done tastefully and has a very positive and important message behind it. Those who are still hung up on Madonna's performance of Like A Virgin on a bed need to get over it. That was 16 years ago.
As to the S&M reference. The only thing S&M is the men's clothing. The theme is horses, and they are dressed as such. There is mere hints of sexuality in these numbers, nothing offensive or over-the-top. People need to take thier medication is my opinion. It's a Madonna concert. Calm down.

October 19 2006 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Meyer

NBC and their advertisers will certainly be boycotted if they actually show this concert.
Especially if it shows her writhing on a cross with a crown of thorns. This is exceptionally distasteful and disrespectful of Christianity.
This concert should obviously not be shown on national television. It is a real shame that NBC is so desperate that they have to stoop this low for revenue. Where is their common sense?

September 14 2006 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Kaleita

It's very discouraging that the NBC broadcast of the Confessions Tour is being edited at all. I'd rather wait for it to be released on video than have some network cut it up for mass consumption. All the important parts will be censored. The "Go to Texas..." bits of I LOVE NEW YORK and the political montage of SORRY will be missed. I can only hope that NBC paid Madonna enough millons in order to edit the show. My Queen needs as much support as she can in order to keep telling the President and the rest of his stooges where they can go!

July 27 2006 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tyler

I'm happy to hear that Live to Tell will not be edited. It has an important message about those whom are suffering in Africa. The demographics at the concert were very mixed as will be the viewers. I'm sure many will watch!

July 23 2006 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JaeTee

I think they'll edit the portion where she changes the lyrics to "I Love New York."

July 23 2006 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephen

actually, according to NBC exec Reilly (see Aussiello Report on TV Guide), the Crucifix song, Live to Tell, will be in the NBC airing unedited. It was important to Madonna, so they are allowing it. No word on the S&M number....

July 22 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davy Fields

Don't concert shows on tv like, categorically do pretty poorly in the ratings? I don't mind watching a band play at the end of Letterman or during halftime of a Superbowl, but I can't imagine I'd want to sit through two hours of a show that I'm not at.

July 22 2006 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply