October 20, 2014

Stargate Atlantis: Misbegotten

by Will O'Brien, posted Jul 22nd 2006 7:24PM

(S03E02)
Atlantis brewed up an excellent entry for the second episode of the season. We come back just as a wraith hive ship is closing on the city. To everyone's relief, Shepherd radios in that it's actually a captured hive ship. (Dr. Beckett looked like he was about to pee his pants)

Last time, Weir was getting grief from the oversight wieners. We wrap that up with a visit to Atlantis by Woolsie. (The annoying bureaucratic report writer) In the end she gets to keep her command. The conversation between Woolsie and Colonel Caldwell hinted that we might see more power struggles in the future.

Woolsie (Robert Picardo) drops a great line when he's talking to Weir.
"Nothing renews your appreciation of the military like the threat of invasion from life sucking aliens."

With the capture of the hive ship, Atlansis got little a bonus(not). Two hundred former wraith in suspended animation. Thanks to all the damage to the ship, they're dropped off on another planet. I was curious to see how they managed this one. I've always disliked the idea of concentration camps.

It was actually pretty surprising that they turned Micheal back into a human. The retrovirus isn't permanent. Each of the ex-wraiths have to be treated on a daily basis. It seemed a bit presumptive to assume that none of them would get their memory back. The queen didn't actually turn, so it's pretty obvious that the treatment is not fully effective.

Everything seemed to be going fine until the ex-wraith who hid for a day shows up dead.

I'm seriously doubting Beckett's common sense. I know he's just not sneaky, but when you suspect murder by the camp refugees, you probably shouldn't go babbling about it over the radio.

The episode wraps up with very little in the way of details. Sheps team managed to save Beckett, but the hive ship was totally destroyed. You'd think that they would have used the puddle jumper to check out what the wraith hive ship did after they attacked. Surely they flew over the remains of the camp to survey the damage. The lack of details only fuels my suspicions. Personally, I'm betting that Mikey escaped.

Roger Cox

How about leading up to a deal with the wraith to go against/after the ori

July 25 2006 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick Thomas

I agree that they really should be left to die. I agree with that someone would survive. Probably micheal. Tho i think that the location of Earth will remain secret. Tho dont the wraith already know that Earth exists, but just dont have the technology to get there?

July 24 2006 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I got annoyed on how stupid these people are. Thinking that they can save these hybrids and having them take a drug all the time for not turning back. It is too much of a security risk. It is enough that one of them escapes and releases the information on where earth is located. It was not a logical move. Not when the entire home world is at risk.
They should have dumb them in empty space and let them die.

But I guess they needed some of them to survive to build a story for this season.

July 23 2006 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

I also think that Mikey escaped and that they somehow infected Beckett with something... just an incling. Cause it seemed like they wanted to recruit Beckett and his medical knowledge and the only way to do that...

July 23 2006 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

According to Gateword's synopsis of Atlantis's Season 3, Mikey's gonna be around here and there; but in what capacity; who knows? Those Wraith-humans at the end of the episode didn't seem to happy with him at all as they were walking away. My guess is that Mikey escaped while the rest of the Wraith, humans, and crossovers got burned from the orbital barrage.

Definetly a good episode. Nice and creepy with a dash or moral questions here and there. And I'm REALLY impressed with both Atlantis and SG-1's special effects this season.

July 22 2006 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply