July 29, 2014

Stargate SG-1: Morpheus

by Will O'Brien, posted Jul 22nd 2006 1:30AM

stargate

(S10E02) We started our episode with a nice recap. Vala gives birth to the new leader of the Ori invasion fleet, and we re-visit the search for Merlin's weapon (A.K.A. the Sangrail). Because the first scene was of Vala's baby, it's was pretty easy to just ignore the recap and miss the Merlin thing.

The rest of the episode follows two story lines. SG-1 searching a planet and Vala trying to... well, get a job with Stargate Command. Meanwhile, SG-1 is off to search a planet for Merlin's weapon. Since everyone on the planet is dead, Vala's efforts help keep the ep from getting too dark.

Vala was pretty friggin' spry for someone who just had a kid. (This bothered me a bit until I remembered that her devil child healed her in the premier.) But Vala vs. the psychologist was great. She had him frustrated within just a few minutes. During her next session, Vala vs. the lie detector was just hilarious. My favorite scene was when she compliments the psychologist and the needles start going bonkers.

The cave with the secret entrance was disappointing. The only thing in there was a lizard! I was expecting Teal'c and Mitchell playing catch the lizard to be more entertaining. Teal'c was actually excited when he nabbed it.

All in all it was a pretty good episode. SG-1 didn't really get anywhere on their hunt, but then Arther had to search three different planets. I especially enjoyed Vala's little revenge on Woolsie. (It even made my wife snort as she laughed.)

The preview for next weeks episode looks promising. It looks like SG-1 is making a field trip to Atlantis. I wonder if they'll be crossing over SG1 and Atlantis for both shows or just SG1.

Jen

In relation to re-using actors (btw - here in Oz we are just 3 eps into Series 9!!!) Weir's earthly boyfriend Simon was the Tolan Narim who was crazy about Sam back in an earlier series 1, yet another of the men who loved Sam who died (in Series 5). And also in Atlantis, the leader of the young people who killed themselves at 25 to stop the Wraith coming was Elliot, the young leader of the recruits put through their paces at SGC who later became host to Martouf's symbiote (yep, another one who loved Sam and died!) Lantesh.
And for the Sci Fi crossovers - Woolsy is, of course, the doctor from ST Voyager, the leader of the Nox (rememebr them?) was Quark from ST DS9. And, again in Atlantis, the leader of the (mind gone blank - farmers with advanced underground technology.........) id Chief O'Brien from ST NG and ST DS9.
Do you think I watch too much Sci Fi - and we don't even have the sci fi channel in Oz!

August 07 2006 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joy Funk

I am tired of SG1s miracle conclusions. Carter and Daniel are in isolation pods infested with parasites to eat their brain(the red shirt of this ep died in less than 24 hours), Teal'C has been found by the hazmats with his lizard but falls sleep before explaining, and Cam is asleep in the cave somewhere--and both of them are also infested--------commercial break-----everyone is fine. The one reptile alive on the planet has been used to retro engineer an antidote or antiobiotic or antisera( any idea how hard that would be to do, how long it wuld take and how different its immune system would be from humans???????) I know this is scifi. Willful suspension of disbelief. I'm willing to accept stargates, hyperdrive ships,gouaolds with symbiotes, etc etc---but this one is tough to swallow.

July 23 2006 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AMY

I love SG1 and I did'nt like Vala at first but after watching this episode I think she will make a great addition to the show. I also thought the reference to Deuce Bigalow was very funny.

July 22 2006 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

There seems to be a close knit set of actors that populate shows filmed in that area of Canada. While watching Eureka I noticed at least 3 former stargate actors. The premier of Psych had Don Davis as well.

July 22 2006 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cath Hendon

This was a very good episode and Vala was hysterical studying for her psych exam. The inkblots and lie detector scenes were hysterical. Everything went smoothly until I realized their was only about 5 minutes of airtime left and they were putting Carter in a pod... next thinng you know, everyone's ok. Thought that was poor. I, too, noticed that the doctor who died was the same one from the "Groundhog Day" style episode.

Looking forward to next weeks crossover episode.

July 22 2006 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Wood

Have they run out of actors? The doctor working with SG1 was the guy who created the time loop in what is my favourite ever episode of SG1 (where O'Neill and T'ealc play golf through the Stargate).

July 22 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

I like the fact that this episode's sleep mystery actually made sense from a science perspective.

Vala's scenes were pretty darn funny; especially her facial expressions, they were a hoot.

All in all, a good episode that I enjoyed.

July 22 2006 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith L. Dick

This episode kinda left me in a Fog if I took a minute or two to go to the frig and get a beer...

Seems when I got back they were already on to something else...

July 22 2006 at 6:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply