April 18, 2014

Exposing the Hanso Foundation

by Michael Canfield, posted Jul 23rd 2006 8:17AM
Lost Title SequenceABC and Lost extend their viral publicity campaign for the show with this "anti"-Hanso Foundation site that appeared about a week ago: HansoExposed.com. As show marketers continue to turn the internet into one big Easter egg hunt, I suspect the real reason for these Hanso and Dharma related sites is an effort to head off complaints next season about repeats -- they evidently intend to keep us Lost fans so preoccupied every moment of our waking lives that we don't have time for eating and sleeping, let alone actually watching the show.

This site is meant to be a campaign by a few intrepid souls attempting to get the word out on evil projects under development by Hanso. Its design is all dark and shadowy. There are blueprints, mentions of a dossier on Enzo Valenzetti, testimonials, pictures of airline tickets, all meant to add up to yet another incomplete picture of another incomprehensible mystery. After trying to make heads or tails of it without giving up any personal information, I finally surrendered my email address and got an account, permanently branding myself a sucker in the eyes of Buena Vista.

(Ryan reports from ComicCon that he's got some video to accompany this post soon. We'll update when that becomes available.)

Once you sign up you get an email back from Rachel Blake explaining the game. Or maybe I should say: YOU GET AN EMAIL BACK FROM RACHEL BLAKE -- because that is how Rachel types -- she shouts. If she doesn't learn proper keyboarding etiquette she's going to have a lot more enemies to contend with that just one shadowy super-secret global uber-corporation.

Anyway, the thing is: parts of a video exposing some nasty undertaking or another by Hanso have been hidden across the web by RACHEL BLAKE and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help piece them together.

What are your feelings about all the little Lost extras popping up on the web, on your cell phone, in your bookstore? If you are a Lost fan, do you find them as addicting as the show itself, or do you mostly just ignore them?

Good luck, and Namaste.

Fred Ollinger

To BrianG. Get wine! www.winehq.org.

Yes, getting IE going in wine is hard, but I have mozilla running. I didn't try Flash plug-in.

I hear their support for viruses and worms is increasing assymtotically as they reach the 1.0 release!

Fred

July 25 2006 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
middies

I read a little bit into the online game... But then i came across retrievers of the truth and realized how bogus it is. Plus i dont want to stumble onto any spoilers that u can find out by just being patient and watching the show.
I just hope it will all still make sense to those who only watch the show and ignore the games.
I think we have a lil under 2 months togo. I hope

July 24 2006 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian G

Flash 8 is not available for Linux. Lost fans running Linux, we're screwed!

July 24 2006 at 3:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

As a veteran of The Beast (the A.I. game) the Lost stuff is the first I've found that compares in complexity and interest, although it's a lot less focused.

July 23 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Dorr

You guys should go check up on where it's at. Before it was pretty boring, but now we're actually getting into the real meat of it. There are some good summary threads on http://www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/ that go over everything so far. The Lost Experience in Paragraphs is a good one to read through.

July 23 2006 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kurifurisan

Except for buying the Troup book earlier this summer, I've pretty much stayed away. I tried my hand at the whole internet hide and go seek clue game for a few hours in the beginning...I just didn't find it too interesting. I much rather get some sort of Dharma Initiative handbook or guidebook with hand written notes and mysteries in the blank spaces of the book and a dvd orientation video included.

July 23 2006 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orimental

I was all "WTF?" when Rachel got the mike. I think a lot of the crowd was just as confused as I was. But I later read at IGN that it was all part of the Lost Experience. I was wondering why some girl was passing out Lost Experience papers.

July 23 2006 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dvddesign

I haven't seen anything that I've liked as much as the game that they used for A.I. I love Lost, so don't get me wrong, but these are way beyond obvious now, and they don't offer anything anymore in these games.

All you ever get from these games now is incidental factual ideas that never tie back to the show/item in anyway.

What good is it to me that unnamed cast member #4's favorite food is Kung Pao Chicken?

July 23 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply