November 21, 2014

Fey and Dratch might not be the only ones leaving SNL

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 24th 2006 12:53PM
Lorne MichaelsLooks like the SNL cast shake-up that the majority of its fans were looking for is ready to happen, but it's not for the reason everybody thinks. We already know Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch are leaving to concentrate on their new show 30 Rock. But Lorne Michaels told critics at the TCA press tour that, because of budget cuts across the entire network, some other longtime players will probably be leaving as well. No word on exactly who's leaving, but I would imagine Darrell Hammond and Horatio Sanz are busy dialing their agents right now.

Brandon

Horatio Sanz is an improv genius and a comedy wizard.
It is time for Maya to leave - we will miss her tho - ESPECIALLY as Versace.
Chris Parnell may leave and it wouldn't hurt me.
AMY POEHLER must stay, i know she is hella busy, but she's comedy mind unlike any other
I would consider bringing these folk to the next audition:
Jason Mantzoukas, Peter Gwinn, Marcy Jarreau (They need a woman).
-they are all very experienced comedians, Jason may be too busy writing movies, Peter may be getting older and has a good job writing for the Colbert Report, but Marcy is fresh. So fresh and so funny funny.

August 01 2006 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

Y'all _please_ stop saying my Maya is leaving. _Please_!

July 25 2006 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Edits/Mistakes I made from writing the previous post in haste! :-)

[Maya's] departure would leave the show with only 2 female cast members, the other being featured player Kristin Wiig AND AMY POEHLER

July 24 2006 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I bet Darrell will stay on. Any longtime viewer of SNL knows that the reason Darrell Hammond is even a cast member is his ability to accurately and hilariously portray so many famous and political figures. Honestly, can you recall a time when he has NOT been used as a celebrity character? It would be a huge blow to their utility characters if were to leave, but anything is possible I suppose. If he does leave, he will leave quite a legacy behind him.

If I had to venture a guess as to who IS leaving, Chris Parnell and Horatio appear to be prime candidates, as both have been on the show since 1998. Maybe Maya Rudolph as well, but her departure would leave the show with only 2 female cast members, the other being featured player Kristin Wiig (underrated, in my opinion) which would be a paltry amount, even for SNL.

Also, Seth Meyers is most likely to be the new head writer, as he is listed along with Tina in her now-vacant title in this past season. Assuming this is true, it would be an interesting fact to note that Tina came on as a writer, and was then bumped up to cast member (albeit solely for Weekend Update), while Seth came on as a player, and would bumped up to a writer.

July 24 2006 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rayvyn

I agree with Karen. I barely remember a time when Sanz looked somewhere besides right at the cue cards. Darrell Hammond I will miss, though. His Sean Connery and Bill Clinton were amazing.

July 24 2006 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Man, I hope that's true. I have never EVER understood the popularity of Horatio Sanz. He can't even pronounce his lines. He's simply not funny. For some reason, though, his castmates seem to worship him as a god. He must save all his genius for off-camera tom-foolery.

July 24 2006 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply