September 17, 2014

Sci Fi shows might take six-month break to accommodate Battlestar Galactica

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 24th 2006 10:10AM
Sci Fi ChannelThe Sci Fi Channel knows where its bread is buttered. Sure, people love both Stargate shows and the new show Eureka is getting good reviews. But the channel's most popular show is Battlestar Galactica. That's why Sci Fi is reportedly deciding to put all of its original shows on a six-month hiatus so it can run the entire third season of BSG without reruns. The goal, according to programming executive Mark Stern, is to have original programming throughout the year. So, according to this plan, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis will take a break in September and return in March, and BSG's season will run from October to March.

More information can be found here. Of course, Sci Fi might change its mind. But this info came from Comic-Con, and if there's any place where you can find reliable information about the Sci Fi channel, it's there.

[thanks to reader Mack Swift for the tip.]

Tim McCleese

Chris: You are absolutely right about the value of a good score in a tv show or movie. Like you, I think the BSG score is no less than awesome. It has that majestic, LET'S ROCK feeling to it. If I may muse a bit off the subject, the score in the movie "DEATH on the NILE" was one of my all time favorites. Another thing Chris, I sometimes think I am the only one out here that just loved "Enterprise". Speaking of scores, I just hated the one on "Enterprise" at first, but oddly, I came to like it later. Maybe it just grew on me. Hey man, are you ready for our favorite show coming up on Oct. 7? I know you are looking forward to it as much as I. By the way, who is your favorite character on BSG?

September 16 2006 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

"Home" part 2 is an excellent episode. I just saw that one again about three weeks ago. Another thing that stands out to me about BSG, besides the excellent writing, acting, editing, etc. is the score. Especially at the beginning of this episode, and throughout. I cant think of another series(except for LOST) that really seems to care about the production value of its score. It adds that little something extra to BSG. Gods, I love this show. Oh, and great use of BSG dialogue(sometimes you gotta roll the hard six). It put a smile on my face.

August 29 2006 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Thank you Chris. That is a good question but unfortunately, I do not know if or when BSG repeats will be shown on primetime. Sorry. Perhaps another reader may enlighten us. But Chris, don't even let that be a factor in your world. By all means, if you can get the BSG dvds you will never regret it. By reading your past posts, I know you are definately a fan of this great show. I for one, almost never watch reruns, I prefer to watch my favorite shows on dvd (whenever dvd is available, of course). And like everyone else, I am still building my collection. BSG though, was and is a priority buy. I liked "33" too. Here is another great one, the season two episode "Home" part 2 (Loved that one)! I appreciate your info on the sites you suggested. I hope you get those dvds (sometimes you gotta roll the hard six).

August 28 2006 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

Tim: That is another good one. I need to buy the DVD sets, so I can refresh my memory on all the episodes. I could probably watch "33" all day long myself. Do you know when SCiFi will bring back BSG to the primetime line-up? I know the Season3 premiere is Oct. 6, but you can only find repeats at 2AM on Fridays currently. I just watched the conclusion of RESURRECTION SHIP yesterday(great). Check out the video at SCIFI/battlestar of BSG at the Peabody Awards. Trey Parker and Matt Stone(South Park) LOVE the show. Good stuff.

August 28 2006 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Chris: One of my favorite episodes is "Downloaded". I could watch that one all day long!

August 27 2006 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Davidian

I like the idea of running a show without reruns; it would just be nice if they could do it with all their shows and get rid of the mid-season hiatus the Stargates have had. I think it would be ideal to have three series all showing first run episodes at the same time on on Sci Fi Friday. When they added Firefly to the lineup in the 7pm slot for four hours of new sci fi programs that was even better (I know Firefly really weren't first run episodes, but I'd never seen them, and other many people had never seen them.)

They announced earlier that the second season of Doctor Who would air starting in September. So the question is what they will do with the third hour on Fridays, repeats, or something else new?

If only they weren't cutting Stargate SG-1, they could move Eureka to Fridays and have six total series to run on that night with first run episodes and it would last nearly all year round: SG-1, SG-A, Eureka, Dr Who, BSG, and Caprica. They could pick another night to run repeats of the other three series' prior seasons, so each episode gets two runs, one continuous run on Fridays followed by a continuous run on Wednesdays for instance. At least, that's how I'd do it if I was in charge...

August 24 2006 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

ADAMA: "I want you to pull out your weapon...and shoot Admiral Cain in the head."

I love this show! Just watched a repeat of RESURRECTION SHIP. This is just one of many excellent episodes. October can't get here soon enough!

August 20 2006 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

SG-1 is DONE, son! It has limped into a 10th Season, but it's over. I don't want to watch Brad Wright/Robert C. Cooper/SciFi drift into "beating a dead horse" territory..end it NOW guys! I guarantee this will be the LAST season of SG-1. Do some 2 hour movies, maybe a 4 hour miniseries...but end this tired ENTERPRISE(ha) of a show soon.

August 16 2006 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Well my Aussie friend, my guess is that since you think the horrid original BSG is superior to the current masterpiece, then perhaps this latter version is too cerebral for you. C'mon now, old chap, after they (way back then) took the cylons out of the plots and made Baltar surrender, that version sunk to the level of watching a hot dog eating contest. In all fairness I cannot comment on the quality of "Firefly" because I have never seen it. But never mind that. The present BSG has the advantage of not only being one of the hottest shows on tv in years, it also has the hottest Babe in the business in the multi-talented Grace Park. But relax, maybe you can start a lonely "old BSG days" club with other persons that share your opinion. In the meantime, stand aside and accept the reality of a real quality show.

August 14 2006 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

Firefly? Frakkin' Firefly? What a joke of a show! Have fun watching the only season of that crappy show on DVD, over and over again. BSG is up to season 3, with a fourth already being talked about.
Go ahead..keep chomping on the cheese that Joss Whedon and other cronies like him are still serving. There will always be an audience that likes their scifi dripping with it.

August 14 2006 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply