December 21, 2014

The 4400: Blink

by Sarah Gilbert, posted Jul 24th 2006 1:35PM

tom receives cookies, with a dash of therapy(S03E08) A friend and I were talking about a third woman, one who's involved with a volunteer organization. "I want my donation to be therapy for her!" said the friend. This week's episode of The 4400 opens that delicious possibility: the ability to force therapy onto someone. Oh, were it only true! I totally would have stolen that lady's herbs, too.

As it turns out, the therapy isn't always beneficent. Three people commit suicide at the opening of the show, haunted too cruelly by figures from their past. This sends Tom and Diana into a quest to find the source of the hallucinations -- a brand-new street drug called "Blink" -- and quash their own demons, personified by Tom's dead father and Diana's old fiancé.

Speaking of fiancés. The plot took its most delicious turn yet.

Am I the only one, here, or do you totally want Isabelle and Shawn to get married, too? As I mentioned two weeks ago, the tide in me is turning toward loving Isabelle. I'm no longer bothered by her blink-blink-I'm-innocent acting style and the conflicting characterization given her by the writing team. Instead, I'm enamored. And as she foists herself onto Shawn -- "think of it as an arranged marriage!" she says brightly shortly before announcing the reluctant engagement to the world -- I'm cheering for the union.

Could this be the same woman who sobbed real tears the first five times she watched that "true love" scene in The Princess Bride? [Oh how I love that movie.]

Yes. I'm cheering for a marriage of convenience. If you can call it "convenience" when, as Isabelle asserts, the fate of the entire world rests on Shawn's ability to keep Isabelle's evil side in check.

And as I remember the final scene between the two of them, chills shudder through my body even though it's set to be another day of record heat here. "Now are we going to get married?" she asks after Shawn tries, with blinding unsuccess, to kill her in her sleep.

Ooohhhhhhhhh ... I love it.

[And I know you all want to talk about Diana leaving Marco. I'm just going to let you take it from here. What do you think?]

j

i hope she dies though

September 11 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j

the thing that is in the syringe to kill isabelle with is obviously, prmoicin inhabitor

September 11 2006 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Dorr

So, am I the only one confused by the catastrophy? Apparently the whole thing is caused by a war between the 4400's and the government. But that doesn't make any sense. If the 4400's cause the catastrophy, why send them back? If they never sent them back, nothing bad would have ever happened. Promicin would never have been discovered, since that scientist dude would still be considered insane.

Am I missing something obvious here?

August 23 2006 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malik

This was a great episode! Why does it take so long for the first a review to get posted???

August 01 2006 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jyoti

I don't think Isabel's bad at all. I was just rewatching the special Unlocking the 4400 and in it back in the first season when they were all trying to understand why they'd been sent back and people were trying to kill off the 4400, Maia tells Diana not to worry, that someone is coming who will take care of everything. Since Jordan Collier was already there and Isabelle was yet to be born, not to mention that she seemed to be the one Maia was talking about, I'm pretty sure she's still going to be the one that saves them all. Or try to anyway.

July 28 2006 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenivc

I am waiting for the Jump the Shark event....it will come.

July 28 2006 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

First, it was mostly a filler show, agreed. Dumb plot with the drug. Second, if you're going to get Brian Dennehy, give him something more meaty to do--he didn't make much of an impression, playing a pretty standard character, in my opinion.

I definitely agree about Sean's general prettiness! (Although he should shave that tiny bit of chest hair.) As far as Isabelle goes, I JUST WANT HER DEAD. Every minute she's onscreen is time away from much more interesting people. I was very happy that Richard & Sean are seeing her as a threat, and that Sean at least tried to do something about it. I DON'T like seeing a nice guy like Sean trapped with a manipulative, evil, one-dimensional, all-powerful 2-year-old. I wish they would let Tom kill her, but I'm afraid we're stuck, stuck, stuck with her. Maybe Jordan's eventual return can make her a bearable character.

As far as Marco goes, I was rooting for him. He's a geek, he's a nice guy...I relate. It seemed odd that Diana would have ever let his crush develop into a relationship, and this episode did a good job explaining why. I wish they'd actually SHOWED the scene where she told him--it would've shown a lot more respect for Marco to give us that. Instead, it happens off-camera.

So is that another character gone now? Will Marco still be their go-to technical guy, or is the show done with him, too? They're dropping like flies.

This was probably my least favorite episode so far this season. Not bad, just not up to the quality I've come to expect from this show.

July 25 2006 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Bua

I saw a comment from one of the producers about how they were going to concentrate on the mythology of the series this season. Well, not in this ep.

But it was cool to see multi-Tony award winner Brian Dennehey, huh? I would think that this show is perfect for great guest star casting, what with all the 4400s we haven't met yet.

Isabelle's affect disturbs me as well, and not in an interesting way.

Still, this show and Eureka are keeping me happy this summer.

July 24 2006 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
az1324

While I agree that the cookie subplot was somewhat irrelevant and unnecessary, it did allow for character development and backstories on two main characters, Tom and Diana. It also reminded us that 4400 abilities can be manipulated without their knowledge or intent by non 4400s.

It seems apparent that a path is being cleared for Tom to kill Isabelle. Everything important to him has been removed from his life and that will make the decision so much easier. In this episode he tied up a loose end with his father. Alana is gone. Kyle doesn't want to see him.

The fact that no one is asking Isabelle how she knows she was sent here to do these terrible things is rather troubling. Although there was some ambiguity in the conversation between Sean and Richard right before Sean attempts to kill her so maybe she did tell him more. The further demonization of Isabelle in this episode will also provide momentum to the plot changes in the coming episodes.

It seems like Tom will find out about the engagement and then go talk to Sean and they will share their information. Then they will decide how to kill Isabelle. Richard's ability will probably be some part of the murder... whether it is actually moving the syringe with his mind or something else.

As for Diana's change in this episode, it is unclear how that will factor into the plot, but I'm sure the writers have something in mind. She needed to be strengthed up...or they were just getting annoyed with the Marco relationship, too.

From the previews of next week they are finally getting back to the doctor. Whatever ability he has developed seems to have an effect on Diana, because I doubt she injected herself also. His developments could be important to the plot.

What they really need to address is what information Ryland has learned from Isabelle and what motivated her to go there in the first place. Remember she has the ability to turn the 4400's abilities against them, so if he could harness that power it could be a campaign to eliminate them all. Other questions are whether Ryland has any ties to the "other side" from the future. This story seems most critical to the plot for this season. Why didn't Navarro read something from Ryland's mind RE: this?

July 24 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JDog

I have to agree ... this episode turned me from an Isabelle "hater" to finding her much more interesting.

I found Isabelle's matter of fact declaration that she and Shawn must be together otherwise she will do evil things, very logical and more sympathetic.

She is an immature being who is trying to do good, but is doing it without the benfit of scruples or ethics -- a pure "the ends justify the means" approach that makes sense of her wierder and annoying behavior.

I'm surprised no one -- until Shawn and Richard in this episode -- has been starting to ask what her purpose is? Why does she think and do what she has been doing?

I wish we had some more time with Matthew to get behind what he told her about her destiny ... perhaps that will be answered with Jordon Collier's eventual return?

Finally, I too was always creeped out by Diana & Marco's relationship. With Marco away and Elana out f the picture for now, will Diana and Tom hook up?

July 24 2006 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply