October 24, 2014

What's going on with Letterman?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 25th 2006 10:41AM

David LettermanHey, Letterman fans: have you been watching the show the past few weeks? Have you noticed the changes on the show? I think Dave has a new energy that we haven't seen in a while.

I mean, the show is always good, in my opinion, even in the times that the critics have said "Dave's not as good as he used to be." But something is different the past few weeks. Dave has gotten a little crazy again. He's doing surreal segments, like having staff member Sue come out in the middle of his talking to the audience with a bowl of trail mix and asking him if he wants any (and when he says "no," swearing at him and walking offstage). He's doing really irreverent stuff too, like having fake "experts" come on to be interviewed and having something crazy happen in the middle of the interview. There have been odd "breaking news" stories that lead nowhere, and he even had a running gag last week that showed a clip of The Tonight Show's Kevin Eubanks laughing at jokes (I'd love to know how they got permission to do that, if they did). And last night's episode! Dave not only had an opening little sketch (with ex head writer Gerard Mulligan), but he had a cigar in his mouth! (Not sure if it was lit, but it looked like it might have been).

So, Dave is always good, but lately he's been really good.

Bob Jones

Unpredictable? Try random garbage.

Letterman is not funny, he messes with his voice and hands too much during the ultra-short monologue (how many times will he say 'New York rats, RATS, R-A-T-SSS!'. His skits are not funny - a staff member asking him about candy? He is utterly boring with guests and his turtle-like assistant never shuts up.
Top Ten is the only half-decent thing on the show!

Leno isn't great, his jokes are sometimes obvious - but his show is simple, entertaining and he's nice with guests and (heres the cracker) HE ACTS INTERESTED AND DOESN'T TRY TO HIT ON ANYTHING IN A SKIRT.

Conan ofcourse rules them all, but for anybody over 34 - gotta be Leno.

July 28 2006 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

I'm glad someone else noticed this as well.

He has also added more stuff where he actually gets up from his desk and does more prop comedy like he used to.

I still want to know if there will ever be a Late NIGHT with David Letterman DVD set.

July 26 2006 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I think someone else (on this site too, I think) said it best: traditionally, Leno starts off each show great, but goes downhill as the show goes on. Letterman, on the other hand, starts off weak but gets better as the show goes on.

I was a Letterman fan for ages, but I generally think that Leno's monologues are better. Dave's monologues have been downright painful for the past couple of years, but he's a far better interviewer than Leno ever could be.

I hope this funny stays with Dave...

July 25 2006 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

My favorite recent bit was the guy who walked out on stage and announced that he had just won $40 million in the lottery. He proceeded to scream "F--- YOU" at the top of his lungs at Paul, Dave and even Alan Kalter. Their reactions were priceless.

Of course, when the guy left the stage, Dave asked Paul, "Do you have any idea who that was?"

Pure comedy.

July 25 2006 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

I haven't checked, but I kind of assumed they had added some new blood the the writing/producing pool. Some of the new stuff sticks, some of it slides off and is never seen again.

The Cold Opens are pretty funny.

If Letterman had the insight to bring in some new blood, good for him for not having the ego to stop positive change. If it's just a second wind, then good for him anyways :)

July 25 2006 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian

I haven't watched any late night shows in a couple of months, so I'm pretty excited to check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

July 25 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

A few weeks back they did a few runners where the camera would have a smudge on it or the picture would roll for a few minutes. I watched that and thought instantly of the Late Night days on NBC.

If anything, the show seems to have amped the the volume
of jokes over the course of the hour. It makes for a fun way to end the day.

July 25 2006 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TW

That's why I watched his shows every night instead of Leno. Letterman is unpredictable and I love his wacky skids. I don't understand why Leno always beat him in ratings, probably because he has good guests.

July 25 2006 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
efaris

So I've noticed this also. My wife and I actually commented to each other about this. Things on the show just seem snappier and wacky. There's a sense of "what the hell is going to happen next". We have been hooked for about 2 weeks. Definite new energy...

July 25 2006 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply