September 2, 2014

Find out why Steve really left Blue's Clues in a new documentary

by Richard Keller, posted Jul 27th 2006 2:54PM

A bald Steve BurnsLadies and gentlemen, I am about to reveal why Steve Burns, known as just Steve to the ankle-biters who watch Blue's Clues, left the show so abruptly after seven years. . .

"He was bald, Jerry!" Well, he wasn't during his run on the show, but his hair was certainly thinning by the time he left the series. This is just one of the interesting tidbits you can learn in Behind the Clues: 10 Years With Blue, a documentary that airs on Nickelodeon at 8:30 tonight. The short documentary, developed for the 10th anniversary of the hit preschool program, talks about why Blue's Clues was created, how they chose hosts Steve and his replacement, brother Joe (Donovan Patton), from out of nowhere, and the fact that Blue was supposed to be a kitten. Scenes from the original pilot episode Blue Prints are also shown.

After its premiere on Nickelodeon Behind the Clues: 10 Years With Blue will begin streaming on Nick Jr.'s broadband video site. For those of you who have Comcast Internet service, the episode can be viewed now on its "The Fan" broadband video site.

Desiree Bautista

Wow, that's why. I heard it was because he died from cancer and was replaced by Joe.

September 05 2006 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

I thought he left so he coould attend college

August 30 2006 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mommy dear

I started watching Blues Clues from the beginning and you know what when Steve left I was mad! I can't stand Donovan whats his face. He has this weirdness about him kinda like a child molester or a pervert. he's probably trying his best but he just ain't kickin it for me. even my daughter- who was born after Donovan started on the show- likes Steve better. But hey thats what videos are for. I sure hope Steve loves what he's doin now but he really was great for the show. And I did hear also that he had left the show cuz he was burnt out I think I would be too playing with imaginary dogs, cats n mailboxes.....

August 16 2006 at 6:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lidia

steve and joe r both great but hey i would leave toooo if i was balding

August 04 2006 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

I am 20 years old and used to watch with my little brother, whose now 14. He was so into Blue's Clues. Now once again, I watch it with my son, whose a year old. I don't think I can get any from this show! HAH. Either way, Steve was awesome... I like the new guy too.

I just don't understand why people give a shit if he wanted to leave the show or not. Tons of actors leave things and not a lot of people get bothered by it. Get over it, it was years ago. Big deal if your kids liked the show or not.

It was his choice, stop complaining about it.

Jaymez - You're friend is stupid. Try watching the show. It's innocent to hell and cause no problems. Sure your kids might run around trying to find clues, but oh well... Again, you're friend was a pure idiot.

August 03 2006 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ksyount

I recall seeing him on Regis and Kelly and he was VERY pale, had little hair and VERY serious. It was either on this show or something I read but I think he had some "emotional" issues and was really burnt out.

August 03 2006 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bethany

i like donaven better than steve anyways :]

July 30 2006 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

I thought he pulled a Pee Wee Herman and got booted from the show. I've never seen Blues, but I remember some friends saying they refused to let their kids watch the show.

July 28 2006 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherman

According to imdb.com, Steve Burns appeared in "Law and Order" in 1995, and starred in "Blues Clues" from 1996-2001 (and in 2002 to introduce his brother).

I remember his spooky appearance as a killer on "Homicide: Life on the Street", one of my favorite shows, in 1998. I was impressed by Steve's range and recall a mini-controversy around it -- because my kids used to love Blues Clues.

Personally I can't understand all the fuss. How many children would be watching both shows and then get them confused? Letting a young kid watch "Homicide" is just bad parenting.

July 27 2006 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

Right after leaving he put at a (fairly good) indie rock album and has been doing music since. Probably just wanted to move on.

July 27 2006 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply