The Five: Worst sports to watch on TV
Yesterday I listed the best sports to watch on television. Here's my list for the worst.
1. Fishing: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
2. Auto racing: You know what bugs me about auto racing? I can never tell who's in the lead. Oh, sure, I can see on the screen who's ahead by laps, but where's the drama in that? I think auto racing should be like a marathon or horse racing. You can always tell who is winning those races because the winner is the one in the lead. That's not true for auto racing. And I think it takes away from the sport (that and the fact that you have to watch it for 100, 200, 500 laps). So what are non-diehard fans left with? Waiting for the car crashes, and that makes us feel creepy.
3. Soccer: Yeah, I know. Sorry to be the typical American who doesn't get the popularity of soccer. I actually loved playing soccer in school, but watching it? God, it seems to go on forever, and unless the player does something incredibly cool and fancy with their footwork, most of the players just seem like they're kicking the ball aimlessly and chasing it around the (too big) field, and at the end the game ends 0-0 or 1-0. I did watch a couple of World Cup matches this year, and that head butt was exciting, but other than that...sorry.
4. Golf: Boy, I bet I'm making a lot of friends today, eh? My brother in law and my nephew are going to be pissed at me. Golf is another sport that I love playing, but watching it just bores me to tears. Though I'd like to see televised miniature golf. Wouldn't it be great to see Tiger Woods or Michelle Wie trying to get a hole-in-one around a giant windmill, playing against some fat drunk guy who plays mini golf on weekends? Hey, ESPN covers darts and the National Spelling Bee, so this can't be too far behind.
5. Boxing: You hardly ever see cool fights like in the Rocky movies. Most fights are pretty boring affairs. And who is there to root for nowadays?