November 28, 2014

Would YOU go to press tour?

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 28th 2006 2:07PM
TCA logoSo, the summer press tour is just about over. You've heard a lot of news come out of the tour, including news about who's going to be on Grey's Anatomy next year, news about the future of SNL, and why Mr. T has finally gotten rid of his gold chains.

But you've also heard tales from tired and cynical critics talking about fighting other critics for the microphone during a Gilmore Girls press conference, measuring the success of a show by the star's behavior on the tour, and putting up with carping networks and spin-happy executives. Then there are the crowds of critics surrounding the stars after a show's conference, parties where reporters try to get quotes from bored celebrities over loud music, and arranged tours of sets that seem more organized than tours of the Vatican. Oh, and all of this takes place over two-plus weeks in sweaty Burbank.

But we've also heard great tales of stars making good jokes at their own expense, and some interesting tidbits about how the fine treatment the critics receive from the networks.

Which leads us at TVS to wonder: is it worth going to this thing? We're thinking of going to the press tour that's being held in January (at least Burbank will be less sweaty then), and we're curious to know what our TV-addicted readers think of the whole spectacle. So we're asking all of you: would you go to press tour? And, if so, how would you cover it differently than what you've seen the last two weeks (for instance, it seems like everyone live-blogs from the thing)? We have our ideas, but we'd love to hear from our creative and passionate readers, too. Let us know in the comments.

Man

I'd risk time away from in front of my precious TV to spend time on the other side of the glass.

July 28 2006 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan Erwin

Dear God, please don't live blog it. The sort of corporate/star-based spin that will be from it needs time to be molded into individual stories and clever quips from the TVSquad editor(s)/writer(s) need to be inserted.

You should definitely go. But you should definitely keep a sense of humor about it. One of the best parts of this blog.

July 28 2006 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I thought that these events were tight lipped and private. That we wait until the fall to see the shows. And that wait of 27, 28 to 35 days, even a staggering 42 or 48(!) days when they announce it on August 24 or 25 during summer reruns of the premiere date--I've noticed this every summer since 1985 and 1986. So I don't really pay attention to these press conferences. I wait until the big premieres of the new shows in mid September.

July 28 2006 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mc

I'd rather read about it in my air conditioned room than go spend three weeks in LA (during the summer.)

July 28 2006 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I think the only thing better than doing the Press Tour would be doing it on someone else's dime, since I understand that at least for the winter tour the critics pay their own way. That said, and setting aside the inevitable likelihood that one is going to every conceivable (and some inconceivable) manner of spin from experts, going to the press tour has to be one of the best things about being a professional TV critic.

July 28 2006 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

I think Press Tour is every tv fans dream. I like how TvGuide blogged it minute by minute, but Ausiello's in love with himself attitude can be a little annoying. Plus if an actor's gonna be a brat like Ming Na, she totally deserves her own failure slogan.

Press tour is ultimately a job but there's no reason why it shouldn't be fun too. I mean it's a tour about tv. Can't get better than that.

July 28 2006 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply