September 23, 2014

Madame is still around

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 29th 2006 10:30AM

MadameWayland Flowers may not be with us any longer (he died in 1988), but his famous puppet is still going strong. Madame has her own web site, and is now controlled by another puppet master. Seems she was devastated after Flowers' death, and is only now starting to perform again:

"I stayed in my box for what seemed like an eternity to my many fans, only coming out for the occasional dry martini and foot massage...well, a girl can't allow herself to go to pot!"

Madame is going to be perform again, though there are no dates posted on the site yet. However, you can see photos of Madame with her celeb friends, including Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Stewart, and Robin Williams. There's one of Wayland Flowers and Joan Rivers, and I swear I thought it was Madame at first.

(There must be a bunch of readers in their 20s saying to themselves right now, "Who the hell is Madame?!?" Heh.)

Jean

AHHHHH, I miss the wise cracks from Madame. Someone should give her a show.

August 01 2006 at 1:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Andrew M.

The Madame puppet is on permanent display at the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta for anyone who is interested.

July 30 2006 at 12:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

first time i saw this thing was on an episode family guy. peter had the doll and called her a hussy if i recall correctly, but i'm probably wrong.

either way that thing looks creepy

July 29 2006 at 5:54 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Chris Tuttle

Madame is indeed back. The website is under lots of work, but Madame can be found with her new partner--Joe Kovacs--workshopping a new show right now in New York!

July 29 2006 at 11:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Yeah, I was kinda surprised when I saw Madame on one of those VH1 "I love the '70s" shows. It looks like the guy who took her over was pretty young. I'm surprised she didn't resurface earlier; I mean, her voice isn't hard to do... Sean Hayes did her voice for eight years on Will & Grace, for crissakes.

July 29 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

I remember seeing Madame "talking" to John Schneider on "Solid Gold"!

July 29 2006 at 10:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Hey, I'm in my twenties and I know who Madame is. :)

July 29 2006 at 10:41 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply