November 24, 2014

Entourage: The Release

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jul 30th 2006 11:56PM

Johnny Drama

(S03E08) Vince really is his own man. If he doesn't believe in something, he won't stand behind it. Unfortunately, it's looking more and more likely that this sort of behavior is slowly killing his career. We'll get to what I'm talking about in a minute. I'm really starting to like Drama's character more and more. I love this sort of fake past that's been created for him. For instance, he turned down a lead role in The Brothers McMullen to take a three episode arc on 90210 where he played a guy who sexually harassed Tori Spelling's Donna Martin. Just look at his resume. Priceless.

Anywho, now that Eric's threesome fling is out of the way, he took a step back from the story this week and Vince slipped back in. Queens Boulevard is getting a national release, but after seeing the new cut with Billy Walsh, Vince agrees that they have to stop it. The film is now in color and it looked like Ethan Suplee had been inserted into one of the scenes. He wasn't in the original cut... right? Vince ends up denouncing the film in front of the Hollywood Foreign Press and called out the studio as being only concerned about the bottom line and not the artistic quality of the film itself. Ouch.

None of this came as good news to Ari and his new partner Babs Miller. Remember her? She represents Mandy Moore? Her and Ari are business partners now. After she sandbagged Ari by setting him up in a meeting with Terrance and all the other major agency heads, she offered to help finance Ari's new agency since Terrance vowed to spend $50 million before he gave Ari a penny of the $11 million owed him. Vince really needs to change his tune or else Miller Gold's marquee client is going to have a hard time finding work.

Things seem to be shaping up for Drama though. After getting a parking ticket, finding out that his frequent buyer coffee card is now invalid, and watching the Escalade get towed, his day could only get better. And it did when Ed Burns called Johnny and offered him the lead in his new pilot. Johnny Drama gainfully employed? Weird. Now the pilot just needs to be picked up.

Other things I enjoyed:

• I love that Walsh still called Eric "suit."
  • Ari bashing on the APA at the meeting with all the agencies. Anyone know why he hates the Agency for Performing Arts?
  • Ari calling Lloyd Indian after Lloyd developed a huge zit in the middle of his forehead.

Best Quotes, all courtesy of Billy Walsh:

Walsh (explaining why he won't let Queens Boulevard get released): "Because I won't let those douche bags Aquaman-ify my movie!"

Walsh (talking to Vince from the race track): "Meet me at my girl's. I gotta go home and tell her I lost the rent money again."

Barry Sandrew

Check out the color enhanced version of Queens Boulevard at http://www.legendfilms.net

August 14 2006 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

To "Tool"#4-

I am pretty sure there are only a few weeeks left for these batch of episodes.
I think the "back 8" of the 20-episode order are going to run in January 2007.

August 01 2006 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDog23

I'm happy to see Drama get more airtime, but I'm concerned that they're trying to turn him into the Beverly Hills George Costanza. Don't get me wrong- I'm a huge Seinfeld fan, but watching this episode caused me to have flashbacks to those Costanza plot lines that were just way over the top and annoying (the one that comes to mind was "The Dealership" during the last season when George tries to prove the repair guy stole his Twix bar by setting up a "candy bar lineup".)

August 01 2006 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony Scida

I'm looking forward to Vegas. Looks like a good episode.

July 31 2006 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I'm so glad they are doing something with Drama. It's about time he had some good news in his life. I can't wait to see the filming of the pilot. I do want to see more of Turtle and the rapper, it's time to get that story moving too.

There are a ton of new shows on Sunday night but this is the one I look forward to the most.

July 31 2006 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Peoples Champ

glad E took a back seat. He is painful to watch.

July 31 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Great episode. Can't believe that we've got 12 more weeks of this!

Loved Drama this week--I can identify with him. Not sure where Vince is going with this, but you have to respect that he stands up for himself and his art. The new Miller-Gold agency should be interesting, and by the look of next week's preview, should provide a lot of stories with the differences between Ari and Babs

July 31 2006 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

I think this will be TREMENDOUS publicity for this movie. Can you imagine if an actual, real-life star did this at a press conference? It'd be everywhere. Now, not only are people going to remember that Vincent Chase has a new movie coming out, but they'll remember that he thought it was so good, he was ready to abandon his career for it. There's no way that this would be bad for that movie. All they have to do is release it in black-and-white, and since Vincent's publicity stunt just won them at least 125% of the viewers that might have otherwise gone, being in black-and-white won't matter one bit. Vince gets a reputation as a firebrand and a serious actor, the studio gets more money, the director gets to keep his indie cred, and everyone ends up happy.

July 31 2006 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith L. Dick

Totally Believing in Something no matter what it is can Kill any Career or even your future...

Just look at the History of the World...

Some may fall some will make it...

July 31 2006 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply