December 20, 2014

The Five: Current TV obsessions

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 31st 2006 2:40PM

Chuck WooleryIf you're like me, you go through these phases where you get obsessed with a certain TV show. Maybe it's because you've never seen it before, maybe you haven't seen it in years, or maybe it's summer and you're looking for good things to watch. Below are five shows that I currently cannot get enough of, and why.

1. Lingo (GSN). Like Joel and Rich, I'm a game show geek. And while I watched this one here and there a few years ago, I've been watching it every single night lately. It's not a great show, but I like the simplicity of it, and Chuck Woolery is a quirky host. I still don't get the co-host though (Stacey a couple of years ago, now it's Shandi). Oh, she's hot and friendly, but what exactly is her job? She sits in front with a keyboard and controls the board? I doubt it. Many times you'll see her say something like "let's start with an N..." and she'll press a key, but the letter has already shown up on the board! So what exactly is her purpose? At least Vanna actually turns letters.

I do like the way Shandi says "Lingo balls" though.

2. Poker. It doesn't matter what event it is or what show. World Series of Poker, Poker Superstars Invitational, Poker Dome Challenge, One on One, whatever. I just really enjoy televised poker. I get the same way with tennis sometimes. Besides the pro tour, I'll also watch college tennis tournaments at midnight while eating junk food. What's wrong with me?

3. Just Shoot Me (syndicated). This is actually one of the more underrated sitcoms of all time. It's consistently well written and funny, and it's a good office ensemble comedy with good actors and well-drawn characters. This is on at 12:30am every morning, and I can't go to bed until I watch it, even if I've seen the episode several times.

4. The Insider (syndicated). Don't get me wrong, this is a horrible show. In fact, it might just be the worst show on television. But I'm fascinated by the vile Pat O'Brien, the moronic Kathie Lee Gifford (becoming a reporter for the show even after all those years of battling the tabloids? Classy move, Kathie), the ridiculous plugs for sister show Entertainment Tonight ("coming up in 22 minutes, more on Britney Spears!"). It's all so disgusting and awful, but I can't look away.

5. Dinner For Five. It's been canceled, but I have the first season on DVD, and I've watched it so many times I could probably recite whole conversations verbatim from memory, or at least the cast lists from each episode.

Dru

cash cab on discovery, even in reruns is the best game show.

August 01 2006 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dani

I loved "Dinner for Five". It's much more interesting to hear showbiz people just talk amongst themselves without an agenda, unlike the times when they appear on talk shows to promote their latest project.

My summertime TV obsessions are "Made", "Making the Band" and "So You Think You Can Dance". I'm not a huge reality TV fan, but for some reason I never miss an episode of those three.

July 31 2006 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

My current obsession is BBC America's Bargain Hunters. Take one part charming, if slightly randy older British host, 2 parts clever (and often very good looking) antiques appraisers, 2 parts teams of normal players, buy things and sell at auction, usually at a loss, but always hoping for a profit. I cannot get enough.

And I'm waiting for next Sunday, when I surely will become obsessed with the second season of Flavor of Love. It's so bad it's actually good.

July 31 2006 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

I love Just Shoot Me. It did get a little worn-out at the end of its run, but most of the seasons are great. "My friend Binny" is an expression I've used quite a few times. George Segal was great, as was Wendie Malick, and it was a great role for David Spade (I don't like it when he tries to play it tough). I catch it on FOX 5 every night, too.

July 31 2006 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Edwards

I've been TiVoing What's My Line? on GSN lately. The old black and white shows are great. I don't much care for the 70's version. It has too much of that 70's cheese for me.

July 31 2006 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I've rediscovered a bunch of older shows on networks I usually don't watch much of.

I've been watching a lot of two other shows on GSN, "Match Game" and "Password". MG I watched as a kid; Password I'd really only seen on that classic "Odd Couple" episode. And I've also enjoyed the new "I've Got a Secret", the gayest, and maybe most fun, show on television.

I've also been watching "Star Trek: The Next Generation" reruns on Spike and on G4. (And "ST: Deep Space Nine" if I'm home on a weekday). And "Futurama" and "Family Guy" on the Cartoon Network.

And I can't leave out "Frasier" and "The Golden Girls" on Lifetime. All shows I'd never pay much attention to during the TV season, when everything's new, new, new.

July 31 2006 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tr

i can't speak for the others, but i just can't get enough lingo. my girlfriend turned me on to it, and at first i thought "what...? this can't be that great of show." and now i watch it religiously. plus i have a crush on shandi. does she actually activate the letters? who knows, and who cares? she's cute. i saw an older episode, where chuck was by himself, and it just wasn't the same. and for the record, vanna doesn't even "turn" letters anymore, she just sweeps her hands by them.

i do like just shoot me, but they changed the schedule around here, and i don't know when it's on. gotta love the david "Donnie" cross episodes!

"chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie!"

July 31 2006 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

I've found myself really getting into "Animal Cops" lately, shows like "Animal Cops Houston" and "Animal Cops Detroit." They've been on for a few years but I just recently discovered them.

July 31 2006 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply