November 22, 2014

Wassup, Superfriends? - VIDEO

by Richard Keller, posted Jul 31st 2006 10:18AM

The Superfriends, watching a game, drinking a budBack in the early 2000's (wow, I can't believe I just wrote that!), Budwiser ran an extremely successful advertising campaign for its Budwiser beer that most simply called 'Wassup?'. It featured a bunch of guys sitting around, watching a game and drinking their beers, while calling their friends. The extent of their phone conversations was "Wassup?" over and over in a humorous manner.

As its popularity grew so did the Internet parodies, which included South Park, Teletubbies and Super Friends. The Super Friends spot actually became quite a World Wide Web phenomenon, long before the creation of YouTube. However, once the advertising campaign ended, those parodies also faded away and were simply forgotten.

That is, until today, when I found several copies of the Super Friends Wassup parody on ... you guessed it ... YouTube. I watched it again and still think it's hilarious. Take a look for yourself after the jump and let me know what you think.

John

Now if someone could find the Superfriend's commercial from Cartoon Network where they all go to the movies and need to go get snacks....

'A TWENTY!'

August 01 2006 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

related! I came across this the other day.

Stargate SG-1 "cover" of the wassup commercial:

July 31 2006 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tr

yeah, i remember downloading this ages ago. i still have it on my computer somewhere. wasn't this made for cartoon network? i vaguely remember seeing it on there, around the same time as the "Aquaman Dance Party" clip for Adult Swim. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUpjQieTcbE&search=Aquaman)

July 31 2006 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

The best sendups of the Superfriends were the Power Puff Girls commercial featuring the SF (and Wonder Woman talking about being "developed") and the Harvey Birdman ep featuring Apache Chief. Check them out if you can find them.

July 31 2006 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darien

During the height of its popularity I found a downloadable version, to me... it's still pretty funny, especially the Wonder Woman and Robin parts.

July 31 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
forzaq8

wow i remmber downloading that on a real player file
it was around 2-3 mb and took me 50-70 minute to download ( bad dialup ) oh the memory

July 31 2006 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

Nope. Sorry. Doesn't hold up.

July 31 2006 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply