April 23, 2014

The most popular TV show in the world

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 1st 2006 3:51PM

Do you know what it is? Based on the Top 10 shows in 20 countries, one American TV show is the No. 1 TV show in the world.

Any guesses? I'll give you a hint: it's not Lost. The answer after the jump ...

It's ... CSI: Miami!

Um, yeah, I'm sort of confused too. Other countries must have a fixation with American sun and surf, because Baywatch used to be the No. 1 show in the world too, throughout the early to mid 90's. Or maybe it's because they find something interesting in the dull, brooding acting style of David Caruso? Aren't they interested in the shiny lights and excitement of the original CSI's Las Vegas?

Lost and Desperate Housewives are second and third.

Cierra Butler

In the world, I would've thought Doctor Who or Sherlock. Definitely not CSI: Miami. I'd also think NCIS would top CSI: Miami. Seriously? I know other countries might like their crime shows, but NCIS and its spinoff NCIS: LA I'd think are a little more popular then the CSIs. I even have a friend in Germany I met through NCIS: LA. And I wasn't even looking for an international fandom buddy. I don't know, maybe I'm underestimating CSI because I've never seen it. But Doctor Who is also huge, and so is Sherlock. NCIS has nationwide fans... everywhere. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a secret NCIS fandom living under Antarctica. Just saying.

December 18 2012 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kelly

What? BORING!

August 29 2006 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

never got into the Miami version of this franchise. I thought NY was better than Miami but nothing beats the original CSI.

Interesting that people around the world watch CSI: Miami though or should that be strange.

August 24 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alek

CSI? I've watched it a few times, it's interesting enough, but not #1 interesting. Half the things they do aren't even possible for the real police force. Which is basically what it's supposed to be basing itself on... Sigh. Oh well, that's the magic of television for ya!

August 06 2006 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

I never would have given the show a first glance if I hadn't found out that Brendan Fehr guested on it. I can barely stand watching David Caruso. I like Adam R. ok, but I think there is more man candy on the show than some for me....a girl. :P Bring on more Brendan Fehr!

August 03 2006 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I've been going over the comments and one thing sticks out - people seem not to be able to read well enough to understand the difference between popular and best. That sounds condescending but throughout these posts I keep seeing people saying that "CSI: Miami" isn't the best show, and David Caruso is a terrible actor. I happen to agree with both sentiments - I watch "CSI: Miami", but I watch in spite of Caruso not because of him (I'm in love with Emily Proctor, fond of Khandi Alexander, and don't object to any of the other female eye candy in the lab). But "best" doesn't enter into the equation, in the same way that it didn't when "Baywatch" was the most popular TV series in the world and trumpetted the fact on the promos for every episode. Come on people; can you honestly say that Hasselhoff on his best day was or is a better actor than Caruso on his worst? I don't know WHY "CSI: Miami" is more popular world wide than a number of other shows that are better - I suspect that part of it has to do with the way the Canadian production company (Alliance-Atlantis) markets the show but that doesn't explain why theshow draws higher ratings internationally than the original "CSI" or "CSI: New York".

August 02 2006 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ros39

That's cool. I just wish that they would give that yummy Brendan Fehr more screen time.

August 02 2006 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Three words: Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

August 02 2006 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucille arpino

caruso,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,come on what about Kojak.Columbo,matt dillon.,so on so forth,he has his own style,watch it? I love it ,mr caruso is very underated,he's a good character,and his associates(co-Stars)are just as fine............don't you wish,you had your own style!maybe you do,are you jealous?Mr.Caruso is a method actor,us new yorkers know that!!!!

August 02 2006 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglas Gallagher

Las Vegas kicks butt on a city scale and on the television. I think CSI Las Vegas is way more interesting than Miami. I always loved originals and hated the take off series'.

August 02 2006 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply