December 18, 2014

CNN anchor leaving network to create "good news" website

by Joel Keller, posted Aug 3rd 2006 6:06PM
Daryn KaganWell, it looks like the relentless drum of depressing news put forth by the 24-hour news networks has claimed its first victim. Daryn Kagan, the late-morning anchor at CNN, has decided to leave the network after 12 years to start -- wait for it -- DarynKagan.com.

Whoa! What the hell is she thinking, right? But here's the kicker: the site, debuting in November, will only report "good news". Wow. Sounds ambitious, considering the fact that no one ever seems to want to read good news and all. But, she has an upbeat attitude about it, as she told her colleagues in an e-mail announcing her departure: The site "will be an inspirational, online community dedicated to the radical idea that the world is a good place. Sounds different, I know. It is."

Hm. Maybe her time dating Rush Limbaugh that finally sent her over the edge. Well, we wish Daryn luck. She's gonna need it.

Valarie Brooks

10/15/06

I wish the best for Ms. Daryn Kagan on her new endeavour. I always enjoyed watching her on CNN. I was wondering what happen to her. Thanks for keeping your previous viewers informed.

Valarie

October 15 2006 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Norman Smith

I Daryn did a great and i look foward to seeing her at anther nexwork.
God bless oy Daryn

September 03 2006 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol Salganik

I am sorry to learn that Daryn Kagan is leaving CNN. I think she is delightful and I looked forward to seeing her. I too feel she will show up on another 24 hour news network and then I will be watching her again. Good luck. See you soon Daryn!

September 01 2006 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arun

This will last for a few months, then she will be back on one of the 24 hour cable news networks: MSNBC, or FOX News.

August 04 2006 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Bitter? Damn near broke' er.

August 04 2006 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myron

Today's Good News Headlines:

No hurricanes strike Florida
Dog doesn't bite man
There were no fatal car wrecks on I85

and so on. There's lots of good news. She should be busy.

August 04 2006 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

RE:DarynKagan.com-- Well, as we've all figured out by now, it's not the look of a site as much as the content that matters.

Unless YouTube has some mystical aesthetic appeal I have yet to fathom...

It's a place holder page, live with it.

As to the creation of yet another "Send us a picture of your bunny wearing a pancake hat" or some "Like Fark.com, only with uplifting stories", it would normally be non news until the buzz got going.

So, the issue is, why bother quitting a network... unless you were pushed?

August 04 2006 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smeagle

I don't have any opinion on Ms. Kagan but the single holding page you are sent to for DarynKagan.com looks like something my 13 year old could put together on a free web builder site. Would have expected something more professional. Hope the finished product looks better.

August 04 2006 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

"Maybe her time dating Rush Limbaugh that finally sent her over the edge." What exactly does that mean? Is it even funny? Relevant?

August 04 2006 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alana

My, my, Jay. We sound a little bitter, don't we? Did she turn you down for a date? Here I was thinking the fine, left leaning folks at CNN were enlightened and understanding.

I say if all she wants to do is report good news, more power to her. There's plenty of good news to go around and I look forward to reading it.

August 04 2006 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply