November 21, 2014

Sci Fi Channel grabs Enterprise, extends run of Twilight Zone

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 3rd 2006 6:29PM

Scott Bakula, Captain Jonathan Archer of Star Trek:EnterpriseIt looks like the Sci Fi Channel is actually going to run science fiction and fantasy shows in the near future. Shocking! Especially since it has recently dabbled in airing such shows as Law & Order:SVU and, deep breath, Extreme Championship Wrestling (no, I will never get over it!).

The network has recently picked up the rights to Star Trek:Enterprise, the prequel series that took place 150 years before the original. Enterprise aired on UPN from 2001-2005 to mixed reviews. The deal for Enterprise, which will premiere in the fall on the Sci Fi Channel, also included an extension of the network's contract for the original The Twilight Zone episodes.

The deal also includes rights to the Stephen King miniseries The Stand and The Langoliers, as well as a number of science fiction and supernatural shows that never completed their initial network runs. These include Threshold, Wolf Lake, Haunted, and Jake 2.0.

joe

What a joke. Everytime a new ST series comes out, it gets bashed, and then a few years after that, it is said to be "great".

I aint a Trekkie, but I love to watch good SciFI. By the end of season 4 Enterprise was cookin'. Granted the first 2 seasons wheren't great, but the show was still new and trying to figure out where it belonged in the ST universe. Every show should be allowed some time to find itself.

Also, most of you haters out there never watched it from first to last episode, you only caught one or two here and there and decided it wasnt for you. That is your choice, but for those who DID watch the entire series, or most of it, know what potential this show really had. It was sad to see UPN to shed this show as it had many good years left to it, so they could focus on 12-17 years olds.

If the SciFi channel had any "rocks", they should have went out on a limb and picked this up.

August 22 2006 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

Forget Enterprise, and why isn't anyone running Babylon 5 anymore? Guess I'll have to pick up the set.

August 04 2006 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Canfield

I agree Scott. The fact that any network can waste money rerunning a sad stinker like "Enterprise" is beyond me.

August 03 2006 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

"Enterprise" isn't really worth anyone's time. The Sci-Fi Channel should have the original "Star Trek", "TNG", and "DS9", instead of Spike or G4 or whoever it is this week. Although anyone beats TNT (or was it TNN?) -- remember when they first started showing TNG and squeezed the picture so they could run promos nonstop in the bottom part of the screen? That should be illegal. Worse than the "Star Trek 2.0" stuff, since the image was actually distorted.

Good to see the TZ contract get renewed--those marathons are awesome! Amazing to see a show over 40 years old still as entertaining as it ever was.

I AM interested in seeing the remaining episodes of "Threshold" (as someone too cheap to buy the DVD set). And I always liked "Jake 2.0". Not the world's best writing, but I'd watch Christopher Gorham in almost anything (well, maybe not the shrill "Out of Practice").

August 03 2006 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wassily

Good to see they're keeping the Twilight Zone.

August 03 2006 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Yes, where's Voyager?!? I thought Spike was scheduled to start showing it in 2006. (Granted, we have some 2006 left to go, but I expected some kind of announcement by now.) That would be Star Trek worth watching!

Enterprise...Zzzzzzz. For the first time I won't be rewatching a Trek series. I have zero interest in seeing it again--the first time was bad enough. Give me Firefly, give me Battlestar Galactica...ANYTHING but Enterprise!

August 03 2006 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

What the hell happened to Voyager? I've been waiting for a cable channel to pick it up.

August 03 2006 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply