September 18, 2014

Things I Hate About TV: That stupid new Today Show promo

by Keith McDuffee, posted Aug 4th 2006 11:28AM
matt and meredithI think I'm living some kind of weird Rip Van Winkle life lately. Suddenly, without warning, there are these bizarre promos running during the breaks on the Today Show showing Matt, Al, Ann and Meredith laughing, goofing and dancing together as if they'd been on the air for ten years with Meredith. Who are they trying to fool? Who are these people? What is going on here?!

Maybe they did an excellent video editing job and stuck Meredith's head on Katie's body, and this is an old goofy video they're using. And even then, when I say the promo's goofy, I mean GOOFY. I'm trying to imagine what the director was saying while trying to get the team to feel all chummy together, as if we're supposed to believe they're really that pally with Meredith: "OK now Al, you do a little hop and shuffle, then eat a beignet. Matt, you stick out your tongue, slap Ann on the ass and dip Meredith. No, on the ass, Matt. Meredith, you flex your biceps while Ann laughs hysterically in the background. No Ann, laugh. Like this 'hahaha.' There you go."

Hank

Alot of TV folks belong here -->

September 15 2006 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe W.

I would say the new show has come along way since the 1950's. Like or dislike, The show is a hit and the advertisers will continue to pour their money in.
Your saving grace may be just to change the channel and move on. I prefer to be out exercising or reading a decent book!

September 02 2006 at 11:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

why do people who hate television so much and think anyone who watches television is an idiot, waste so much time on a website that's all about television and post comments about what idiots we are? If you are so superior than me, then go somewhere else and let me stay here and post with my fellow TV loving idiots.

August 17 2006 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tpp

Diane Sawyer best reporter of morning TV? There are no reporters in morning TV. They're all entertainers, which this promo apparently illustrates quite well.

August 05 2006 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BMcGee

Man, it must be a slow news day at TV Squad.

August 05 2006 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

Should have been Campbell Brown or Ann Curry...both are great assets for NBC...why didn't NBC look within, where there was great success?

August 04 2006 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FRED

OK, now I'm going to make it a point to watch this apparant 'cheese-o-rama', it's like the tabloids at the supermarket registers, you know it's crap but you have to look and read. I used to be a frequent viewer of Today but lost interest especially after Katie left, I realized she was the only one I 'respected' as a journalist/reporter of the bunch, and felt the show was getting a little too contrived for a 'news' show. I find Ann a bit boring, Al a bit silly and Mat should stick to his old stuff, I think his interviewing style really sucks, the straw for me was the tacky Britney interview but I guess she should've known what to expect. As far as Merideth goes, I'm just tired of seeing her all over the place, it's like she's a female Ryan Seacrest, although I find Ryan usually entertaining for some unknown reason, I guess I should say she's more like a female version of Regis, who I'm been over with for a while now. I guess the best thing that's happened on the View was Merideth leaving and kicking off the shake up on that show, not that I would be caught dead watching it, but I have to admit I do enjoy reading about and watching out takes of all the drama on that show as of late on line. So maybe the people at the Today show have duped us all by putting out this slice of cheesyness for us to devour, I know I'm going to tivo the show tomorrow so OK, you manipulative devils at NBC, you got me!

August 04 2006 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerri

It is pretty cheesy...but I do love Matt and the rest of the gang. I'm not so sure about Meredith! I don't really care for her. I haven't watched any other news channel in years. Still don't know what I will do...

August 04 2006 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PghBabs

The commercial doesn't drive me as nuts as the almost daily plastic surgery segments. They need to talk with some people west of the Hudson River! Of, course, the segment about "three being the new two" re children was pretty over the top, as well.

August 04 2006 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richy N.

Hey 91...That's J. Fred Muggs F.Y.I.

August 04 2006 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply