December 22, 2014

Psych: 9 Lives

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 5th 2006 2:10PM

The Cast of Psych(S01E05) Let's not dilly-dally around this week. Let's get to the best scene of the episode. This would be the one where Shawn is "channeling" a recently dead singer/dancer in front of the police chief. Well, to be truthful, he's "channeling" the dead woman via a "psychic connection" with a cat (who was previously owned by another recently dead victim).

Shawn is grooving and gliding along, singing in a husky female voice, trying to prove to the chief of police that four recent suicide victims didn't really kill themselves at all. Rather, they were murdered. It was all very surreal, like a nightmare version of All That Jazz. Bob Fosse would have been proud. It was also very funny, as was the entire episode.

This was purely a Shawn and Gus episode (very little Henry Spencer this week), and it was heavy with investigation and keen observation. Shawn came to the early conclusion that the deaths were not all suicides, but rather the work of a serial killer; despite the fact that the police didn't believe him (are the police THAT stupid? I fear for our lives.). They all seemed to have one thing in common: they all called a free stress hotline prior to their deaths. Shawn and a reluctant Gus (isn't he normally reluctant) hole up in a utility closet near the offices of the hotline to find the killer. Unfortunately, the killer wasn't a member of the office team, but someone not even related to the hotline group.

That was the best part of this week's episode; the mystery of who the killer pretty much remained a mystery until the end of the show. In the last few episodes you could almost pick out the culprit when they were first introduced as some innocuous friend or family member who knew the victim. But, not this time. Frankly, I thought the murderer was the director of the non-for-profit hotline. But, it turned out to be the phone line repairman whose brother was the first, and only real, suicide victim.

The mystery was very well done this week, and featured plenty of "psychic" spells and keen observations from our friend Shawn. He even received a sort-of thanks from Detective Lassister for helping nab the murderer. Gus, on the other hand, was not good this episode. In fact, he was down right annoying at some points. I hope the producers of Psych give Dule Hill's character a bit more to chew on in the next few weeks rather than have him keep saying, 'Shawn, we can't do that.'.

Ready for this week's complaint? I promise it doesn't involve scenery. It's during the scene where Gus and Shawn confront the killer. In rush Detectives Lassister and O'Hara . . . and a pregnant chief of police ready to shoot to kill. Now, if I were a pregnant chief of police (possibly in my next sitcom) I wouldn't be walking into a crime scene where some guy has a gun pointed at me. Not only is that dangerous and stressful for myself, but also extremely perilous for my unborn baby. What happens if the serial killer decided to shoot at the cops and hit me? There go two lives down the drain.

Oh, one more thing before I close out this week's review: more Henry Spencer!

KittyWisdom

Best, best, BEST episode-- and I'm not just saying this because I love cats (which I *do*), but because of the scene with the apartment! I loved Gus' reactions to the brother and to Shawn throughout, and I just about *died* when Shawn said the shower was big enough for two. I also loved the line in the next scene 'I said that just to see the look on your face'. And I love that the apartment came back at the end, with Shawn telling Gus (with genuine excitement, it seemed) that they got the apartment, but that the downside was renting from a serial killer.

Great episode.

=^_^=
KittyWisdom

August 26 2006 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann

I snorted soda out of my nose when Shawn pointed to the cat poster and softly told Gus to, "Hang in there."

Classic.

August 07 2006 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I really want to like Psych more, but the character of Sean needs to be cranked down a few notches and Gus, as Richard notes, needs to be less negative. The show's a combination of silly humor, smart humor and light mystery, but the ratio needs to be changed. Less silliness from Sean, smarter humor and mysteries that remain, um, a mystery, until near the end would really improve it for me.

I'm giving it another 2-3 episodes before I make a final decision for myself, although my kids love the show a lot. My wife's already had enough. We *all* want it to get better, no matter what our current opinions, though.

Good luck, Psych.

August 06 2006 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Moncur

This show is getting silly, the fact that so many people believe Sean is psychic is impossible to believe. The pregnant police chief's behavior was indeed strange.

The "numb3rs" joke was great, though.

August 06 2006 at 7:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
az1324

What about the "I don't know, but they do it on numb3rs" joke? That was funny... and I dont watch or like numb3rs.

Everything has been too easy on this show. They need to throw in an unsolvable case or bring in a rival for sean who can outsmart him.

August 05 2006 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Maybe to avoid painting themselves into a corner, the writers will come up with more episodes that deal with private clients that come in to Shawn, instead of police cases.

August 05 2006 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lee

I really like this show, but where does it go from here? I can't see any way of turning the corner. In another review you suggested that maybe a few of the cops might figure it out, but that everybody else would continue to buy the psychic element.

I think now that they won't even go that far. I think the psychic element has to remain in play for everybody. I also have a hard time seeing how they can bring in more Corbin Bernsen. It's not like his character is going to all of a sudden approve whole heartedly of what his son is doing.

I'm afraid this show is going to be a bit of a one trick pony, though that doesn't mean it cant be successful considering shows like Monk and House.

August 05 2006 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply