April 20, 2014

Hell's Kitchen: Episode 9

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 7th 2006 10:10PM

Gordon Ramsay"This whole experience has given me a whole new skin on life." - Virginia

Um, what is wrong with Virginia? If she's not screwing up in the kitchen, she's spouting inane lines. That combined with her iffy kitchen skills, I'd have to say it comes down to me wanting either Keith or Heather to win the Vegas restaurant.

Of course, Keith wears a baseball cap sideways, can't speak that well, and has pants that are always falling off of him. So I guess I want Heather to win. But I'm not happy about that decision.

Of course, just to completely screw up my introduction, who wins the challenge? Virginia! She got the striped-bass and the sauce "spot on" to the one that Ramsay made, so she wins. Heather looks like she's going to cry and pout (one of the reasons I'm not happy with picking her). She also accuses Virginia of using Ramsay's book (she bought it during the shopping spree last week) which has the exact same recipe in it. Virginia just thnks that Heather is jealous.

Heather and Keith aren't too happy that Virginia keeps winning, and they say she's "got to go."

Virginia's prize is to talk with Ramsay at length about having cooking as a career. Meanwhile, Heather and Keith have to clean the glasses. Ramsay is also teaching Virginia how to cook and yell the orders in the kitchen. Heather says "he's showing her how to win!" Virginia says she's going to be a bitch in the kitchen now (nice goal there, Virginia). Heather tells Virginia that she's not her friend anymore, because of the whole book thing. Virginia says she didn't get it in the book, and why would Ramsay pick a dish that was in the book he saw her buy just recently? Keith says "maybe he likes you," which I think is an insane comment, and since the cameras were running I wish Ramsay would call him out on it, but he won't. Heather and Keith are acting like some high school clique, making inside jokes about Virginia and laughing like comic villians in the room next to Virginia's.

You know what? The hell with it. I hope Virginia wins.

The dinner service tonight has a twist: each contestant will take Ramsay's place in the kitchen, to see how they can run the kitchen.

Virginia is cooking things wrong, and Heather burns the chicken. Keith takes over the hot plate and gets a test from Ramsay: the pasta is deliberately overcooked, but he catches it and passes the test. Virginia is screwing up and being wishy washy. Keith isn't happy with Heather's performance. But Keith didn't control things at the pass. To the camera, Keith says he doesn't want to be Ramsay in his kitchen, because you don't have to be a *&^%^$# to be a chef (not sure what he said about Ramsay, either a "dick" or "asshole").

Ramsay challenges Keith about his attitude. But Heather's hot plate work gets things back on track. Until Ramsay sabotages the mashed potatoes on purpose. Heather serves them, and Ramsay catches her and says that was a test. He puts Virginia on the hot plate. Ramsay does another test: he switches the fish. But Virginia catches it! She does well. Ramsay goes back as the head of the kitchen.

After dinner, Ramsay tells each player to nominate someone to leave. Gee, I wonder who Keith and Heather are going to pick? Virginia and Heather agree that Keith wasn't very good tonight, and Virginia is sure that Heather and Keith are going to nominate her. But Heather isn't so sure she's going to, which ticks off Keith.

Keith nominates Virginia.
Virginia nominates Keith.
Heather nominates Virginia.

Ramsay asks Virginia and Keith to step forward. Both say they really want to win really badly, but Virginia adds that she has no bad habits so she can be taught better than Keith. Ramsay says it's the hardest decision he's ever had to make.

Ramsay picks Keith! He says he's not ready to be a leader. And Keith says that the only reason he picked Virginia is that he has the hots for her! Actually, I think he said "you want to f**k her" but they bleeped it out. Virginia and Heather are shocked. Ramsay asks him why he's so rude. Keith says he's always rude to him, and that he's the best leader and the best cook. He calls the women bitches. Ramsay says that he really did make the best decision, because Keith really does have a horrible attitude.

Virginia and Heather go back into the dorm and have champagne waiting for them, and suddenly go from enemies to sorority sisters. But there's one final twist, and the door opens to...well, they don't show it, but it's probably the old contestants who return next week to help in the kitchen.

Tune in next week, as the two finalists square off. Who do you think should win?

Kokalakis

Underestimated by all, sweet, charming, beautiful Virginia really shined as time went on and deserved to win!!

August 16 2006 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daunte Carter

15.
I feel something is going on with Gordon and Virginia possibly before the show started. He probably met her, and pre-planned it out for her to win. Then again she's married, but maybe things are in the work for her and her husband to separate so she can be with Ramsay. I think Keith, and Heather should have been the last two contestants, and feel Virginia is being favored. If Virginia wins I will probably stop watching this sereies. I was really starting too think Ramsay was a very concise with his choices but I still feel something is wrong with the whole Virginia thing, later..

August 14 2006 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zack

I bet Virginia's husband will probably serve her with divorce papers! You saw how she was with Chef Ramsay, and all those construction workers. Let's face it, sex sells! If Virginia wins, I'll be totally convinced that Ramsay was blowing her!

Kudos to K-Grease for confronting Chef Ramsay!

August 13 2006 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bre

i cant stand heather because shes a little shit talker. Virginia atleast acknowledges when shes done a lousy job, heather just blames it on everyone else.

August 12 2006 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TuckerKatt

Agree with many comments above. If Virginia wins, I will stop watching this show. One of the big reasons I liked it up until now was that Ramsay didn't give a crap about playing favorites and I agreed with his choices for the most part.

K-Grease had his annoying white-guy-wannabe-rapper traits but based on what we've seen, he was far and away the best chef and the only one who was cool under pressure (other than his standing up for himself and getting attitude with Gordon). Every contestant this season besides Keith and Heather seem to have had about 10 minutes of cooking experience. Last season was far better.

Keith calling Gordon out at the end was fantastic! He was already cut and had nothing to lose, so to hell with it. Virginia is a moron -- up for elimination 6 times, WTF? I realized about 3 episodes ago that Virginia had Ramsay wrapped around her finger. He is totally hitting that.

August 10 2006 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rwwstl

Bob, wake up! "Ramsay does another test: he switches the fish. But Virginia catches it! She does well." LMAO! He switched sea bass for salmon! Let's see...can Virginia catch a white colored fish substituted for a pink colored one? Can't wait for next week's challenge! Heather, prepare an entire dinner in a completely dark kitchen. Virginia, in these two clear glasses, tell us which one is beer and which one's water.

This "contest" has been over for weeks. Whose face do you think they want to be advertising for a restaurant in a billion dollar resort? Keith? Not if you've ever seen "The Goonies". Heather? I'm afraid she's just not up to par. Virginia? Never mind the fact she can't successfully boil water during a service, she's got the face they want when it comes to marketing that new restaurant.

August 10 2006 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Elliott

August 09 2006 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Esme

I used to have a lot of respect for Gordon Ramsey until he booted Keith in favor of Virginia. I'm sure he's trying to make "good TV" by going with the young, good-looking girl, and maybe she has been edited up until now to look terrible (I'm trying to be optimistic here--for God's sake, she was on the "chopping block 5 times"!). But if they manipulate things to that extent, the show is even more of a joke than I thought and Ramsey is allowing himself to come off like a drooling stud dog!

August 09 2006 at 7:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
parrish

Virginia reminds me of that brainless cheerleader in high school who got an "A" in history by staying after class for "private tutoring" from the teacher.

What she said, when asked why she should be put through to the final two was (something like), "You can't teach an old dog new tricks but you can teach a new dog new tricks and I'm a new dog and you can teach me and I can learn from you and blah, blah blah". All that dog talk spilling from Virginia was inane. Laughable. Pathetic.

Yeah, Virginia is a newlywed and old Gordo is married himself. I get queasy watching them together. "Is this your book? Would you read it to me? Can I sit on your lap?" Gag.

August 09 2006 at 5:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Al

I think that this season of Hell's Kitchen is even better than the first, but unfortunately the cooking skills of all of this season's contestants don't come anywhere close to Mike or Ralph. Heather stood out from the beginning as the best of the worst, but she is barely worthy to be a souschef to Mike or Ralph. I'm sure that the producers this season made sure that the contestants are picked according to their quirky characteristics with cooking skills barely registering on the radar! There wasn't a single contestant this season who could make a success of a hot dog stand, let alone a fancy Vegas palace!

August 08 2006 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply