August 22, 2014

Reno 911!: Spanish Mike Comes Back

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 7th 2006 11:20AM

reno 911(S04E05) Maybe I have some kind of chemical imbalance, or I just wasn't in a comedy kind of mood, but I didn't think this episode was that great. Normally I love this show, but this episode just kind of left me cold.

Fans might recall that in the first season there was a two-part episode where some officials from Home Land Security came to Reno to teach the deputies about terrorist training. It turns out they were actually con artists and they wound up stealing a bunch of stuff from the evidence lockers. In this episode, one of the con artists, "Spanish Mike" Alvarez, is placed in custody in the Reno jail where he tries to get inside the heads of each of the deputies. My favorite scene was with Junior, who he convinces to hand over his gun, but little does he know that Junior took the bullets out of the gun first. Junior taunts him: "Now who's in whose head?" That was pretty funny.

I also liked the scene at the Renaissance Festival where comedian Patton Oswalt called the sheriff's department to complain about an "anachronism." It seems somebody was using an item from the 12th century instead of the 11th century. They point out he used a cell phone to call them, but he insists it's actually a "scrine device." Nick Swardson also returns in this episode as Terry, who has been doing people's taxes without certification. When told he must stop, he tells the deputies he'll just go back to being a doctor.

So yeah, a couple of good moments, but not the best episode of the season. I suspect next week will be better.

Charlotte

I think Patton Oswalt calls the cell phone a "scrying device."

From About.com: Scrying: A form of divination, by peering into something. Typically, a crystal ball is used, but you can also scry with a mirror, bowl of water or even a candle flame.

September 13 2006 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

If you thought the "anachronism" was funny you might enjoy the ren faire forum.

August 09 2006 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TuckerKatt

I found the sobriety dance routine to be a cheap copy of a scene from either season 1 or 2 when Clementine pulls over an obviously drunk cowboy who somehow manages to pass all the sobriety tests, including a dance routine she makes up. (She finally busts him when he accidentally admits he's drunk)

August 07 2006 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Ya, but seeing that dance line at the drinking and driving check point made up for the rest of the episode. I think I woke up the neighbors laughing at that one.

August 07 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Spanish Mike was hilarious especially with Kimball, "God, I hate jail! It Sucks", the sobreity checkpoint was good too

August 07 2006 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TuckerKatt

I agree, pretty poor episode by Reno standards. Spanish Mike and Terry are always funny and The Nuge scene was OK. I'm tired of Patton's character, no part of that scene was even remotely funny.

August 07 2006 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply