April 16, 2014

Still Standing and Reba start on Lifetime today

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 7th 2006 10:59AM

Still StandingI've only seen one episode of Reba. Didn't care for it much. But I truly loved Still Standing. Next to Boy Meets World, it's probably the most underappreciated sitcom in TV history.

Lifetime has bought the rights to both shows, and will start airing them today. They've been advertising the shows as airing at 5pm (Still Standing) and 5:30 (Reba), but they are also on in the daytime as well. The network will air two episodes of Still Standing at noon (Will and Grace moves to 11am) and then two episodes of Reba at 1pm.

Lifetime has also started airing repeats of Desperate Housewives, Saturdays at 11pm.

Bob Sassone

Doc: I used to review Two and a Half Men, but stopped because some shows just become monotonous when you try to describe what happens in each ep, though I think it's a funny show and still watch it. It needs more Holland Taylor though.

August 07 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Bob, I suppose it depends on how you want to look at under appreciated. Two and A Half Men has managed to find a lot of viewers, but the fact that it is the highest rated comedy on television is why I suggested it as under appreciated. Just look over on the right there at the two shows it shares a night with. How I Met Your Mother (40) and Old Christine (19) both have more coverage than Men(11). The same goes for Earl(52), The Office(78), or a host of others. Heck, I love Moral Orel(14) as much as anyone, but it's a 15 minute stop-motion animation program that airs Sunday at midnight on basic cable, and it gets more coverage than Men.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that as a slight to you or TVSquad. I find that your coverage is pretty well along the lines of various other media where Men is concerned. I just use the TVSquad example because it is right there and easy to point out. It seems to me like we should be hearing more than we are about the show.

That, and it really is a lot easier to argue that Two and A Half Men is under appreciated than it is Shasta McNasty. :D

August 07 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

I don't think Two and a Half Men is underappreciated. You hear people talking about it all the time (it's also one of the highest-rated sitcoms on TV).

I liked Still Standing because it was actually pretty damn funny, and the cast was great. But like Boy Meets World, critics were dismissive of it or didn't pay any attention to it at all.

August 07 2006 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

Underappreciated? Seems like it was appreciated a bit too much, if you ask me. The writing was boring, the acting was uninspired, and I alwasy felt like I was being hit with something heavy when I watched it.

"Ed" was underappreciated. "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" was too. Still Standing was, let's be honest, Yes, Dear's dumber cousin.

August 07 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I liked it quite a bit. And no, I don't have bad taste, just different.

August 07 2006 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

I'd disagree and vote that the most under-appreciated sit-com on tv is actually Two and a Half Men. Consistantly funny, the highest rated comedy on television, and yet not only does TVSquad not cover it, unless Charlie Sheen is leaving angry voice mails on someone's phone, nobody else really seems to give it much press either.

On the other hand, I do agree with Joel about Jamie Gertz's boobs. :D

See how I'm not bringing up The Loop? I think I've grown. ;)

August 07 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
will

have to agree with derek. i thought that they show was pretty awful. it wasn't as bad as yes, dear, but that isn't saying much.

August 07 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

Sorry to be a hater/party pooper, but the best thing about Still Standing was when the show got cancelled. Not trying to be a jerk, just really didn't like the show. However, I would like to know more about why you guys liked it so much. Was it because it was a family show or something?

August 07 2006 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

The best thing about "Still Standing" was Jamie Gertz' chest.

August 07 2006 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

The best thing about watching "Still Standing" was listening to see if Mark Addy's American accent would slip on a word to reveal his English roots.

August 07 2006 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply