April 16, 2014

Michael McKean passed on Veronica Mars

by Keith McDuffee, posted Aug 9th 2006 8:06AM
michael mckeanSometimes there are news stories and (*gasp*) even spoilers that, once I've read them, I wish I hadn't. Case in point, Rob Thomas revealed to TV Guide's Michael Ausiello that within the span of 12 hours, Michael McKean had accepted and then passed on the role of the dean of Hearst College, the backdrop school for most of the next season of Veronica Mars. I agree with Thomas -- that truly is the most depressing casting news in the world. How the heck am I going to like the person filling those shoes now?

Why, Michael? Why?

Karen M. O'Shea

An article on Variety.Com mentions that Michael McKean will be on Ted Danson's new ABC sitcom. It mentions that Danson's therapist character is part of a fictional musical group called Pink Freud along with McKean. One of the other members of the group is SNL's Tim Meadows.

August 27 2006 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen M. O'Shea

The Ausiello Report has just announced that Ed Begley Jr. of "Best In Show" and "A Mighty Wind" will play the dean of Hearst College.

August 12 2006 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen M. O'Shea

I think that Michael will be returning to "Smallville" too. There is a mention of an episode titled "Reunion" on KryptonSite.Com's spoilers page. I wounder if the title refers to Clark and Perry.

August 11 2006 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Oh MAN. Now I *am* depressed. Rob is going to have to do some hardcore casting research to find someone who'll make me forget this bit of bad news. And who could that be? I mean, now that John Vernon http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006893/ is dead??

August 09 2006 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

But for Tina Majorino, the commute from the 'Veronica Mars' shooting locations to the 'Big Love' locations wouldn't have been as great as it would have been for McKean doing 'Mars' and 'Smallville' - from California to Vancouver and back.

And by focusing on 'Smallville', he stays closer to his wife at the same time.

As he's married to Annette O'Toole, I don't blame the man!

August 09 2006 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

But . . . even if that's true, is Perry White that big of a role? Tina Majorino will be a regular on Veronica Mars next season, even though she is going to continue as a recurring character on Big Love.

Anyway, it's too bad that McKean passed b/c he would have been great (and probably very funny) on VM.

August 09 2006 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erik

Becuase he is going to eventually be Perry White on Smallville. I mean, he already was, back on a cameo episode back at the begining of season 3, but now with the story moving more and more towards Metropolis, and with adding in Jimmy Olsen this year, it only makes sense for Perry to show up soon.

August 09 2006 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply