August 29, 2014

Hell's Kitchen: Season Finale

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 14th 2006 9:59PM

Red Rock Casino(S02E10) I think there should be a new rule imposed in the land of reality TV: no more two hour season finales! Seriously, they're sooooo annoying and tedious, because they just rehash everything that has happened and contain all the same predictable twists and turns that we see in other seasons (or, in some cases, other shows). Of course, maybe we could have knocked the season finale of Hell's Kitchen down to about 90 minutes if they just took out the trivial asides and the damn 11 minute opening summary of every single episode from this season. I mean, if you watch the show, you already know everything that happened. I doubt someone is going to tune into the show 10 episodes in and say "hey, I wonder who will win Hell's Kitchen?"

And then, in the second hour, they have a recap of what happened in the first hour! Gah. But I'm getting ahead of myself. It's down to Heather and Virginia...

Virginia and Heather get a visit from loved ones. Heather's parents show up, while Virginia gets a visit from her husband and mom. Heather is incredibly emotional, but that's really no surprise since Heather has become more and more emotional as the season has progressed. Don't really understand what that's all about.

Chef Ramsay brings the two women to Las Vegas to show them the town and the Red Rock Casino. He also has a challenge for them: make their signature dishes and ask 20 customers who's is the best. This being reality TV, micraculously, it's split 10-10. It comes down to one guy and his decision. He picks Virginia's Chicken over Heather's sea bass. Really odd, some of these food challenges, because what if you get customers who simply don't eat fish, especially sea bass, or simply don't like chicken? Whatever. Ramsay takes the two women to the top of the building to show them the view, then he pushes them both off. No, actually he gives them tickets to London so they can come visit him and he can show them the place where he started as a chef.

The three of them go back to Hell's Kitchen, and it's time to pick their teams for the final service. For some reason, Virginia picks Tom and Giacamo along with Keith. She explains that she wants to surprise everyone by picking people who aren't strong. Great people skills there Virginia. Heather picks Rachel (of course), and Sara, who hates her. Garrett is left last and goes to Heather's team.

In a really creepy moment, Keith and Tom say they won't work well unless Virginia guarantees them money. She seems shocked, but really can't articulate why it's so wrong, so instead she decides to give them $1000 if they win. Weird moment for sure.

Then there's a commercial for another damn Simon Cowell reality show, Celebrity Duets, and I really want to kick in my television.

Ramsay goes around and critiques the menus of both players and gives tips. Then he checks out the restaurant designs. Heather has a giant screen that would be too big at a football stadium. Her colors are light, sophisticated, but Ramsay doesn't understand the wipe off grafitti boards. He thinks that ruins it a bit. Virginia's waterfall seems to be finished. She has a desert/ water theme (though I don't really seem to see the desert part). Ramsay thinks it's cozy and well-lit (because ladies like to be well-lit, he says).

A few minutes before service, Ramsay reminds them that tonight, these people aren't their friends, they're workers. I really don't think they have to worry about the friend part. The captains address their teams.

Service beings and Ramsay tells Heather that there's a very imporant customer in the restaurant tonight (if I was Heather, I'd say "all of the customers are important chef"). It's the President of Red Rock Casino and his wife, but Ramsay doesn't tell anyone that.

Both teams are having quality control problems. A dish comes back to Heather cold and flavorless, and Virginia sends back food before it even goes out. It's funny how the losers are complaining about having to work hard and not getting anything for it. Um, don't they know how this show works?

Oh, and Tom acts very Tom-ish: first he stands around waiting for something, then he complains that he's a certain age and people are telling him what to do, like his ex-girlfriend, and then he cuts himself. It's like having Andy Dick's character from NewsRadio as one of your chefs. He doesn't seem to be sweating into the food, which is a good thing I guess.

Oh, wait, he starts sweating when he comes back and walking slow. Ramsay tells him to move his fat ass. To the camera, Tom says "I am what I am...and I'm not a bad looking guy." Huh?

Virginia has an entree returned to her, and realizes she has run out of snapper. Keith laughs at this. Great team member.

Service ends. Ramsay congratulates them both. They go back to the dorm and each says she thinks the other won. Ramsay tells them to come upstairs. There are two doors. Each player gets a key. The door that opens wins the game and the multi-million dollar restaurant at the Red Rock Casino in Las Vegas. And the winner is...

Heather!

sade

We just finished watching Hell's kitchen in the UK (tonight) November 6, 2006. Well i must say that i wanted Virginia to win purely because she had the best personalty out of the lot. I guess she would if she was from California. I think Heather was good but she did not have the personalty Virginia had. As for me, if you have a great sense of taste, you could go places. Even if you had leadership skills (as Heather has!!!), but no sense of taste, who would want to dine at your restaurant. I know i certainly won't be eating there. I loved virgini's smile and couldn't stand the frown Heather always gave.

As for Keith - God help him. If anyone gave him a job, they might as well kiss their business good bye. He will run it down to the grown, as he has shown during the last final moments of his being in the Kitchen. He doesnt like to listen to correction (just like Tommy).

Now tommy - he is a real shit head. Saying "I hate taking orders from a woman". Didnt his mother ever give him orders? Wasn't she a woman. He is no good in the Kitchen..period. Its got nothing to do with him taking orders from women. In any case, with all his sweat, i wouldnt allow him anywhere near my kitchen.

Does anyone know what Virginia is up to lately... I wish her all the best.

November 06 2006 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cassie

Well First of all, I love this show!! But seriously how is Heather ever gonna run a restaurant when she is freaking crying all the time. She wasn't that good of a chef anyway. Virginia was great at challenges but I think sometimes luck has to do with things. All in all I can't think of one person in that kitchen that I would want to cook for me except Chef Ramsey. The first season had a much better conclusion and the winner totally deserved it. This season, they all seemed very inexperienced and more about their 15 mins of fame rather than the prize.

August 17 2006 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Brent: If you are a Heather fan good for you! She has control yes but no talent sorry.

August 16 2006 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

PP: The show isn't about personality, or who can shout loudest, or cooking. It's about who can run a kitchen in a restaurant, and in a way that involves all three. Yes, Virginia has a great pallette (and should quit smoking if she wants to keep it) and an excellent ability in crafting and analysing dishes. The trouble is that she is terrible on the line and if the show on Monday was any indicator horrendous at running a kitchen. And incidentally that includes "hiring" - the selection of people who are working for her; who has first choice in each round and picks Tom and Giacomo. If she can't manage a kitchen with the Three Stooges (and Mary Ann) what hope has she got managing a big restaurant with 10 or 20 underlings. From the very beginning of the series Heather was energetic and working hard with her team. She deserved to win.

August 16 2006 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dale Birmingham

Virginia should have won. Heather is a trailer trash cook who can cook a mean burger and fries and that's about it. Virginia had absolutely no animosity towards any of the others and they all reminded me of the ugly step sister (and brothers) so her demeanor and overall personality should have carried her through to the win. Heather deserves to win alright, right in the middle of nowhere, Red Rock is perfect.

August 15 2006 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

"Although Heather executed a more stable and stern voice in the kitchen, she really didn't win any challenges."

I remember her actually saying during the show that while Virginia is better at challenges, she was better at the service. I happen to agree, and thus think that Heather was the better choice, since made-for-TV challenges usually don't actually happen in the kitchen.

August 15 2006 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TuckerKatt

Very strange selection of incompetent fools this season. Last season the 2 finalists were both good chefs with good leadership skills and the ability to stay calm under pressure. This season it seemed like at least half of them had never cooked anything beyond cup-o-noodles and microwave popcorn.

Keith still should have won the whole thing but given the final 2, Heather was the best choice...but all that crying is not going to cut it as a head chef.

Heather's grafitti was bizarre and out of place, as was the massive video screen showing her. She hadn't seemed like an egomaniac the whole season. Her design looked nice otherwise but the grafitti was awful.

Virginia's line about picking the weakest people was classic. Keith's extortion was great -- hey why not, he had nothing to lose at that point (and nothing to win, either). Tom is a whiny, butterfingered idiot. He also seems to think everyone should believe he is the greatest chef ever, not because he has given them any reason to think that, but because he says so.

August 15 2006 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Was this a show about personality or who could scream louder or about cooking? Virginia had the talent and just because she lacked self confidence and could not curse she lost! I think that Chef did not choose her so he could date her later.

August 15 2006 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chef P.

I thought the guys from season one were hacks. Season two was twice as bad! Heather was the best of the worst. I imagine that if they only cast talented, competent chefs, Gordon wouldn't have anything to yell about.

August 15 2006 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marti

I thought Heather deserved to win. She worked HARD in that kitchen! Running here, running there, giving directions to people even when she'd burned her hand so bad she had to hold it in cold water.
Keith was a jerk. No wonder Virgina ran out of food - every time they showed Keith, he was stuffing food in his mouth!

August 15 2006 at 6:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply