April 19, 2014

Joe Buck named host of Fox NFL pre-game show

by Joel Keller, posted Aug 14th 2006 6:09PM
Joe BuckWhen James Brown (no, not the "Sex Machine" James Brown... the other one) left Fox to become the new host of The NFL Today at CBS, Fox kept everyone in the dark about who was going to take his place as host of Fox NFL Sunday. They even made the mystery into an ad campaign. But the mystery is over: the network has named lead play-by-play man Joe Buck as the host of the pre-game show. Because Buck is still going to broadcast the games, though, the show will be on the road the entire year, originating from the stadium where Buck is supposed to be working that week. Curt Menefee will host the halftime and post-game shows.

Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News, who reported on the unconfirmed rumors yesterday, felt that Fox was making too safe of a move with Buck. According to Raissman, it was a perfect opportunity for Fox to develop someone new in the host role, someone who can evolve as he tries to corral Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, and Jimmy Johnson. I'm not quite sure about that argument; after all, for every Bob Costas that gets a chance to shine in the studio, there's two Brent Musburgers that make us want to throw things at the screen. Those aren't good odds, as far as I'm concerned.

jtomas5053

great move , joe buck is the best always prepared and keeps the viewer in the game. go fox...

January 08 2012 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.D. Smith

BUCK STOPS THE FUN OF NFL SUNDAY ON FOX:

Clearly, this was a bad choice. Exactly what do the FOX Sports Execs think the measurement of success for replacing James Brown ?

At the very least -- it should have involved someone capable to handle greatness. Joe Buck is more a baseball "brand" than anything else. He doesnt mesh with the diverse greatness of the Fox-Pregame Show.
You have a great coach in Jimmy, awesome defensive end in Howie, and albeit sometimes the hardest to handle --Bradshaw must be considered one of the greatest QBs of the game. And all of these guys are awesome in front of the camera. With Buck in the mix -- sadly -- Fox has reduced its signature pre-game -- to below average -- and thats being nice. Ill hold out for Collinsworth and Gumbel.

October 09 2006 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan buster

Joe Buck is horrible. I am a hardcore Eagles fan and there is nothing worst than hearing Buck and Aikman handling the game. Aikman I can tolerate but Buck is a fool. As for the pregame show this is the first season that I can remember that I have not been able to watch the program. I think the longest I made it was 15 minutes. I think the cast was best with Brown, Terry, Howie and Chris.. Jimmy is good for a coaches insight and someone to pick on about bad hair but this body of sports personalities can't hold itself together without the backbone of brown. Sadly a piece of my NFL sunday is gone =/

October 08 2006 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shirley Hoggard

I still love Terry, Howie and Jimmy. I could probably get used to Joe Buck. BUT...I hate the crowd screaming and yelling behind them while they are talking. Why does the TV audience need to be subjected to the rude crowd noise? It only makes the guys have to yell to be heard. I also miss the fun stuff like Ten Yards With TB and the banter between Terry and Howie. I'm feeling sad and disappointed.

September 25 2006 at 6:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paul farmer

Fox executives: Can you hear that sound? It's the sound of die hard football fans switching to CBS to join JB and his new gang.

September 19 2006 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

i am glad that fox added Joe to the show becasue now it is a fun show to watch because when james brown was on it sucked becasue the guy was a peice of shit so i hope fox sticks with buck for awhile becasue it is alot better.

September 17 2006 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MV

From USA Today:"CBS' pregame show, which added host James Brown, sees its overnight rise, and Fox's pregame show, which added host Joe Buck to replace Brown, saw its overnight decline to 3.3 - an 11% drop."

So Fox in case you are reading, ramming Joe Buck down our throats all day every Sunday is a bad idea. Should have brought in a fresh voice...if Menefee or Chris Rose are available for halftimes and highlights, why not let one of them host? Even though I am not a fan of "Best Damn Sports", Rose has proven that he can work with loud personalities. Long term CBS will be #1 until Fox develops new talent. Maybe when Buck takes his October break for baseball I'll watch NFL Sunday again.

Can a pre-game show "jump the shark"?

September 13 2006 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Judge

I watched the Fox pregame show for week 1 of the NFL today, but Joe Buck ruined it for me. I hate that cocky, smug piece of shit. It wasn't enough that he had to ruin the Sox World Series for me last year. What a biased piece of shit. Looks like I won't be watching any football on Fox this year. Keeep up the great work Fox. Maybe next year you guys can get Saddam to do the games!

September 10 2006 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

That sucks. Buck's an ass-clown of the highest order. He infuses games with his boy scout morality and his pedantic color commentary makes me want to go rapes nuns in their ears.

Bad choice Fox. Before you had tools and fools. Now you've got a massive ass in the show.

August 15 2006 at 1:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply