April 24, 2014

Kornheiser freaked out about Monday Night Football

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 14th 2006 4:09PM

Tony KornheiserThe ESPN sports show host (and subject of that lame Jason Alexander sitcom from a couple of years ago, Listen Up) makes his debut tonight on Monday Night Football, a preseason game between the Raiders and the Vikings, and he's a little worried about it. As he says in a not-so-subtle way in this New York Times piece, "I'm going to bomb."

Maybe this is just a way of lowering expectations. He's not going to bomb or be terrible. I mean, Tony, it can't be any worse than Listen Up, can it?

Dave

I agree that Kornheiser is absolutely the WORST MNF "color" guy in history. He and his fans think his comments are cute and clever, but they are neither. He is stupidly antagonistic to his partners, especially Theismann. The whole thing is painful to watch and I am looking for some way of getting the audio from another source so I don't need to hear him anymore.

The funny thing is that I have listened to his ESPN Radio show and generally like it. I just think this is a gig where he is uncomfortable and knows that he has very little to add, and boy, does it show!

August 22 2006 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

If they keep this guy on Monday night, I will no longer watch the game. He SUCKS! He talks too much and he is always challenging things that just aren't important to the game. SHUT HIM UP!

August 21 2006 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doctor football

He looks and sounds a lot better than Mrs. Yellow Teeth...Suzie Kobler. Now someone needs to help her out with a clean smile and softer presentation. Afterall, she is a woman not a man.

August 21 2006 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GMCAM

Please get Tony off the air. If he didn't know what a silent count was at his age or stage in his life or career, he has no business being an anouncer on MNF.

August 15 2006 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

he'll be fine, a breath of fresh air, i'm more worried about tirico, no matter what that guys voice can not project any level of excitement. It should have been Kornheiser, Theisman, and Al Michaels

August 14 2006 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kit

He's really nuts. Better listen to his words

August 14 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Why is this a surprise, Bob? Kornheiser's entire career has been built on his neurotic personality. In every venture he's been involved with, he's always thought that he was going to stink or bomb. Why do you think he always says at the end of every PTI episode, "We'll try to do better the next time"? Because he truly feels that way! To me, this is just par for the course as far as Kornheiser is concerned.

August 14 2006 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply