October 24, 2014

What a surprise! Fall pilots are being leaked to online viewers

by Joel Keller, posted Aug 14th 2006 12:57PM
JerichoWhen I received the preview screeners for the new fall pilots earlier this summer, I resisted every request from friends to lend them out, copy the discs, or upload the contents. My feeling, and the feeling amongst everyone here at TVS, is that the networks are doing us a favor by sending these; why betray their trust by creating a Torrent of a show and distributing it?

I guess not everyone feels the same way we do. The Wall Street Journal recounts how pirated videos for ten pilots -- including Jericho, The Nine, and Heroes -- are making their way around the Internet. This is putting the networks in an odd position; they like the advanced buzz that has developed amongst the public before the shows even air, but they're upset because their shows are being pirated. For instance, a CBS spokesperson told the WSJ that "[w]e're pleased that there's an early demand for our shows but the marketing benefits can't excuse what is illegal theft of our programming."

What the article explains to me is how all these TVS readers have been able to see the pilots, as we've seen in the comments for our network previews. Actually, I kind of knew that these pilots were available as Torrents, but I guess I was just in denial.

[via Mediabistro]

Ardith

It was great to watch these shows fresh. In the past I would get the TV guide fall preview and read the views and decide what I could watch. Now with the pilots avaivable in the summer, you make up your own mind on the new shows when your schedule permits. I hope the network execs get their heads out of their asses and see this is the best way to pick a fall line up. NBC has a musical show on right now that will totally be picked by the audience. So why can't we pick a networks's fall schedule.

August 15 2006 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

It wouldn't be the least bit illegal if the networks would simply offer downloads/torrents/streaming of their shows. It would give them the advantage they readily admit they like, the buzz over the shows, and instantly eliminate their "worry" over the currently "illegal" downloading.

I guess I'm trying to say it's not a problem these network folks can't solve simply by saying, "Here they are, let us know how you like them before we sink scads of dough into advertising".

I'm I drunk or is it just that easy?

August 15 2006 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Jones

Either way, its illegal.

They should probably do more to get people to see the pilots - during summer, if people liked it they would tune in for the 2nd week and after that, so it couldn't do much harm.

August 14 2006 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I think a very good way for studios to avoid this in the future, is to do what NBC is going to be doing with Heroes... offering the pilot for free from iTunes. Universally, fans and media will be able to see the pilot, react, review, etc. Hell, it doesn't even have to be iTunes. Just get it out there so people can see it and get a consensus for if this is a good show or not. It's an inexpensive way to get test audience results, that's for sure.

August 14 2006 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

They're just pissed they never got the opportunity to leak shows like The Will and ABC's Emily's Reason's Why Not so they could have saved themselves the advertising money. Emily's had a commercial on during every break on ABC - they subjected us to that drivel so we, on ocassion, get a glimpse of something that actually EXCITES us early. I think it's a pretty good trade that they KNOW will pay off in the end. It's free advertising and they can spend more time and money promoting shows they think really need the help.

August 14 2006 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

Perhaps the networks should ask the Sci-Fi channel how much having Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who available on the torrent networks depressed their ratings.

August 14 2006 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply