July 31, 2014

Bruno Kirby dead at 57 - BREAKING NEWS

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 15th 2006 10:29PM

Bruno KirbyVeteran actor Bruno Kirby, who viewers of Entourage saw just a couple of weeks ago on the show, has died of leukemia. He was diagnosed with the disease recently, and died on Monday.

Most people will know Kirby from his roles in When Harry Met Sally... and City Slickers, playing Billy Crystal's best friend in both films, but he had a ton of film and TV roles, including Good Morning, Vietnam, Donnie Brasco, Hoffa, Sleepers, and This Is Spinal Tap. His long TV resume includes guest spots on Frasier, It's Garry Shandling's Show, Tales From The Crypt, Columbo, Homicide, Mad About You, Kojak, Emergency, Room 222, and M*A*S*H.

maria

I was sad when i heard this. He was young. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

City slickers, one of the best movies of all time.

Throw me down, tell me lies, comb my hair, smack my thighs.

September 06 2006 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Hargett

Who did he play on Entourage? I don't recogize him. Also, what was in the news about the death of the real life inspiration for Turtle?

August 28 2006 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Love all of his movies was shocked to hear of his death. I am a leukemia Survivor and am glad to see that memorials were to be sent to the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. Would like to know more about his diagnosis and treatment.

Beth

August 17 2006 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edcalrow

Knew Bruno since kindergarten (he was Bruce back then) and went thru the 8th grade with him. Knew he would become an actor like his Dad. Used to hang out on the same street corner with him and Bobby Moresco.

RIP buddy.

August 16 2006 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I first saw him in "By Dawn's Early Light" (a 'Columbo' episode) and later that same year in "Godfather 2" as Peter Clemenza. (What's interesting about that is that Bruno also played Richard (original Clemenza) Castellano's son in 'The Super'.

A few years later I saw him in "Between The Lines", still one of my top ten favorite movies and that sealed me as a fan of his.

That 'Columbo' episode was the first time his dad, Bruce Kirby, got the chance to play Sgt. Kramer. (He had played a cosmetics company janitor in an earlier episode.) And it must have been great fun to get the chance to not only work with greats like Peter Falk and Patrick McGoohan, but with his own Dad as well.

My sympathies go out to Bruce Kirby and to Bruno's wife and the rest of his family at this time.

August 16 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Stephen

Bruno was just the best. If there was a movie in which he appeared, I always watched it and always felt better after seeing it. Just saw "City Slickers" again this week.

I just loved his voice.

I'm gonna miss you, Bruno.

August 16 2006 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smeagle

Can't believe it, just watched Donnie Brasco last night, he did a great job. Kyle, didn't you play Bizarro George on Seinfeld?

August 16 2006 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kflo

His class of actor which is often classified as a charactor actor, is one of my favorite types of actors. Tracy Walter, Strother Martin, Wallace Shawn and Bruno all have a nack for not only creating roles that we will often remember more than the film's stars but also often steal scenes from more famous actors and make moments in film long to be remembered. i will remember this guy for a long time. Love to all his friends and family, today one of our finest has headed home. Thank God DVD's last forever.

August 16 2006 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kyle t. heffner

I worked with Bruno on When Harry Met Sally...I ran into him in June. I was hanging out at the Santa Monica Promenade Coffee Bean waiting for my kids to finish camp. I saw Bruno walking along. I yelled for him. He came over and gave me a nice hug. I told him I was heading to NY with my family and he told me to visit Lombardi's on Spring and then go across the street to Rice to Riches after and have Rice Pudding for dessert. If you are in NY head over to 32 Spring Street and think about Bruno, an wonderfully warm actor and human.

August 16 2006 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roly Poly Man

He was a very nice actor who brought a lot of warmth to his roles.

August 16 2006 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply